Help Computer Not Booting!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Grayhawkz, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Grayhawkz

Grayhawkz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT AGP
    Hey i need immediate help. on my system i just added another stick of dd400 pc3200 ram. When i noticed that it wouldnt run at 400 mhz and not in dual channel i immediately went to bios and manually made it run 1T Timings now when i boot up the computer absolutely nothing happens. I have no resolve for the problem please help!

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Are these matching sticks or 2 different cause if they are different spd(timings)it won't run in dual channel and some mobos are picky about mixing ram.Just clear cmos to go to defaults and try to boot again.

3. Grayhawkz

Grayhawkz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT AGP
    how can i clear cmos it wont even boot with anything on the screen. Even when i try to press delete or pause to get into my bios absolutely nothing happens. Its like my processor isnt even running.

4. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    Turn off your computer and unplug power cord.
    Open the mobo battery.
    Short the solder points using paper-clips.
    Replace the battery.
    Plug power cord and turn ON computer
    then enter BIOS and re-enter data

5. Grayhawkz

Grayhawkz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT AGP
    couldnt that fry my mobo?... are there any alternatives such as flashing it?

6. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    To clear your cmos 1) unplug the computer from the wall socket. 2) Take the side off exposing the components inside. 3) Find the battery. It's round, about the size of a nickel and silver in color. 4) the cmos jumper is usually the jumper nearest to the battery. There should be 3 pins, 2 of them jumper together with what looks like a small plastic cap. Move the plastic cap to cover the exposed pin and the middle pin. Leave it there for 3-5 seconds and then put it back to it's original position. This should clear your cmos. If however this does not work then simply remove the battery for 3-5 seconds and then put it back. Your cmos in now cleared, no doubt about it. 5) Reconnect the power cord to the wall socket.
    As for your memory, the system will default to the slowest timing speeds for the memory installed. 1T is obviously not supported by 1 of your sticks. Set the memory speeds to auto. To get the memory to run at a 400MHz bus you need the CPU's fsb set at 200 and the CPU ratio at 1:1. If the memory isn't in Dual Channel mode then you've probaby have 1 of them in the wrong DIMM slot. Try moving 1 of the sticks around to the other slots until you find the right one.

7. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The best thing is to read your mobo's manual and see what is instructed there if u cannot enter the BIOS.......the one I posted is the most common way used to clear CMOS if the BIOS could not be entered!!..........

And I don't think that will fry your mobo...:D:D....I myself had to do this twice!!

8. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    DO NOT DO THIS. All you have to do is remove the battery.

9. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    Just read my 1st post. I pretty much covered all your basic's.

10. Grayhawkz

Grayhawkz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6600GT AGP
    thank you slaymate im trieing this now.

11. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sometimes removing the battery does not erase the CMOS....I don't know why but it does'nt work for my mobo...i tried it earlier and I kept it for 2 mins ... still I got back my previous BIOS ....... then I followed what my mobo's manual said to short the pins and it worked

12. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    No problem. Glad to help. I'm really glad I've kept you from following some really bad advice. I love this site because they have Great Downloads and Reviews. However there forums have no way of letting you know who give's good advise. I suggest you go to pimprig.com for help advise. They have a reputation rating system that let's you check out the positive feedback for good and/or useful advice.

13. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9300M GS
    Slaymate... Shorting the battery contacts probably just drains the rest of the current that's keeping the CMOS intact... and if it's in a motherboard manual it's not likely to be dangerous.

To the OP: Flashing a BIOS is FAR more risky than clearing CMOS, lol.