BF2 killed my FX5950U

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kain, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

?? what happened?
    Where is the post?

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    Ye wheres the post... Its not the only topic with no post...

3. TerminalLake

TerminalLake Active Member

GPU:
    ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb
    yes, i've also noticed it

4. DJSmak69

DJSmak69 New Member

GPU:
    MSI FX5950 Ultra (Buggered!)
    Whats going of here??? This first post has been a nightmare, anyway the original went something like this.....

After playing BF2 for about 30min my PC all of sudden powered down, straight away I could notice burning smell and quickly removed the case to see the damage, the power connection to my MSI FX5950 Ultra was smokin !! Admitally the card was OC'ed but only using the automatic MSI software supplied and beed running stable for over 10 months!

Once things had cooled down I re-booted and everything seemed ok, GPU temps around 38°, started BF2 back up and everything was ok untill there was a load on the GPU and everything powered down again. I've tried the card on several PC's with the same result.

So is it fooked? Can it be repaired? Anywhere in the Midlands anyone can recomend?

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Sounds like the card is'nt getting enough power to me what is your PSU rated @ ? make sure the molex is fitted properly & that it has its own 12 volt rail with 30+A under load or drop the OC back to defaults.Judging by the spec of your rig a 500+watt psu is needed the burning smell was proberbly your old IS7 mobo getting a bit smelly, I had an old kg7-raid that stank of burnt curcuit board for around a month before it totally died so keep a check on that ;).

6. DJSmak69

DJSmak69 New Member

GPU:
    Yeah my PSU is only 300w, I've just ordered a 480w Thermaltake jobey.

What do you mean by........

"make sure the molex is fitted properly & that it has its own 12 volt rail with 30+A"

Sorry to sound dumb but havent got a clue what ya mean by that :rolleyes:

...... Just the this minute an Nvidia box has popped up saying my card is not getting enough power and the fans on the card have stopped!! Could the power connection to the card be damaged? I've tried the card on other systems with 400+w supplies and it still crashes.

7. DJSmak69

DJSmak69 New Member

GPU:
    Ok Im pretty certain its the power connection thats fried, when I wiggle the cable the fans stop. Is the connection something easy and cheap to replace, can this be done at any PC shop?