Just Got A New Intel Processor...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by airbutchie, Jun 27, 2005.

1. airbutchie

airbutchie Member

GPU:
    ATI X800XL AGP 256DDR3 @ 475mhz/1100mhz
    Hey everyone....

The wifey bought me an Intel 3.2Ghz Boxed CPU and ECS mobo combo from Fry's... The CPU is 478pin, 800Mhz Bus, Hyperthread, with 1MB cache... Since it's boxed, it also has its own heatsink and fan... I'm assuming that this is Intel's "Prescott" processor?! Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Anyhoot... I know that ECS mobo's should not be OC'ed, so I'm asking the "talented" individual members on this board which mobo, in your opinion, would suit well if this processor was OC'ed... Unless, of course, this processor wasn't made to be OC'ed... In which case, what would be a stable mobo for this processor....

AGP or PCIe? Either/Or... I guess AGP, since I already have a mid-range video card... But please, no "built in" VGA ports.. eeks!!!
    Dual Channel? Would be nice... (4 memory slots would be devine!!)
    Chipsets? The ECS mobo that came with it uses Intel's 848 chipset... Is that good enough? Dunno...
    Extra PCI slots? Yes please... 2 would be nice...
    Built in Sound/LAN/IEEE Firewire? That would be nice...
    SATA ready? Yes please....

My current PC configs are in my description... I'll probably get new RAM sticks and a SATA hard drive... So there you have it... Any input, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks for taking the time to read my post and making your suggestions....

- Air B :D

2. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    You might get 10-20% or so, but you'd need to raise vcore to get much further, and it will start heating up. Its probably not really worth it...

3. SorienOR

SorienOR Guest

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    There are less than half a dozen PCI-e Socket478 motherboards, so you will almost have to go AGP.

I personally like the MSI 865PE boards but havn't done any overclocking with them. I would think you would want an Asus or DFI if you wanna do any real hard-core overclocking.

Yes it is a Prescott so if yo do overclock plan on some leet cooling. Stock cooler won't cut it.

The 848P chipset is identical to the 865PE chipset except it only supports single-channel ram instead of dual-channel. All 848/865/875 boards you buy will have at least 2 SATA ports. Some will support RAID some will not.

I would say as long as you have no stability issues with the ECS (they can be hit-and-miss) then it will be a solid performer at stock speeds.

4. big_rai

big_rai Member

GPU:
    nvidia 5700q 256mb
    i'm running on stock cooler with my p4 3gig, oc to 3.6, using asus' jumperfree in the bios, have no problem with it, unless u call 60deg max load a problem, sure it gets a lil warm, but hey, i'm in ukraine, n cant get anything here, got to wait till holidays to go sumwhere n pick up a decent cooler, 12cm fan or h2o, thats the way to go

5. airbutchie

airbutchie Member

GPU:
    Thanks fellas for the input... I appreciate the comments!!

6. fubulover3530

fubulover3530 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 6800 NU 16x1,6 @ 325/75
  7. airbutchie

airbutchie Member

GPU:
    Damn Fubulover... That's insane!!! I hope it's been stable for you... I doubt I could get that kinda OC'ing...

8. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    y is your multiplier unlocked?

good OCing MoBo? myn is a good 1

9. arnie

arnie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon x1800xt 256mb
    his multi isnt unlocked.......do 20x133

10. AION

AION Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD3850 OC
    I can´t get my over 3.5GHz becouse of multiplier.. Now I have ordered Asus´s s478+PCIE mobo, ct479 adapter and 1.6GHz P-M, will overclock it to 2.4GHz. Also I will by 7800GT not GTX when it hits the market. So I will have comp that really rocks....

11. temporal

temporal Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4890 1GB
    Prescott cores with E0 revision are notoriously good overclockers. Some 3.0Es can top 4.4GHz

12. Xaser04

Xaser04 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE UV
    with phase change cooling a decent 3.2 - 3.4 prescott would probably go onto 5ghz. My 3.2 for some reason works perfectly at 3.6 with no voltage changes or heat increases lol. Although I am changing to amd now as I am building a sli setup and Intels chip prices are ridiculous!