BF2 Problems, think I got it down to driver problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by N00bsMustDie, Jun 23, 2005.

1. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Well, right now im stuck the 71.89 drivers. I dont get the nice shadows because my game shows black boxes on them and all. I know I gotta update my drivers, but the thing is, every other driver Ive tried has given me these nasty 5 second pauses every so often, its always enough to get me killed. Lets see... Ive tried the 77.30 77.13 77.50 and the new officials 77.72 drivers. All gave me the nasty freezing. Every works fine for me in singleplayer, as soon I hit multiplayer the freezing starts at random

Athlon 64 3400+
    1 gig pc 3200 OEM ram, upgrading to 2gig 3200 ddr 400 corsair
    Geforce 6800gt with 71.89 drivers
    Audigy 2ZS

Another strange problem is that, every time I turn on my anti aliasing, my game hardlocks at random.

Ive done a reformat not more than 3 or 4 weeks ago, I regularly defrag, scan for spyware and viruses and I be careful of what I download.

I dont understand why any of this is happening... Id really like to use anti aliasing and dynamic shadows without my gameplay being affected like this...

2. Bryer

Bryer Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT PE 256mb AGP
    I have the same problem! Do you turn AA on in the game menu or using the Nvidia control panel?

3. Buzzkill

Buzzkill Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 GT 256 AGP
    I think it's a connection problem. I have a 6800 gt and it's laggy and jumpy. I also get a connection problem at times during the game. PATCH!!!

4. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    I dont touch anything in the control panel I just do it all through the game

But I dont see how its a connection problem, the 71.89 drivers work fine for me, its just like I cant use the dynamic shadows.

When I changed the drivers to 77.30 or higher, my game just froze up constantly

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005

5. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    i get it to sometimes but depends on the server i,m in,I would
    say it,ll be fixed in an up coming patch,after all the gamehas just been released,if i remember bf1942 was abit rough in multiplayer when it was new,so don,t worry it can only get better:D

6. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Hope so... I personally never played the other battlefield games. This is really the only game that I have problems with

7. Bryer

Bryer Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT PE 256mb AGP
    I'm starting to point towards a game/driver conflict! Or it could be the 64 bit processors!!!!!

8. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Maybe... maybe not... I had a problem sort of like this in UT2004, but I could never track it down. Comp restarted at random, lowering settings, reformatting never worked.

Its gotta be the game though, I havent had problems with any of my other games
    Doom3 + RoE
    HL2 + CSS
    LOTR:BFME
    Painkiller + BooH
    Far Cry
    C&C Generals
    Warcraft III + TFT
    Soldier of Fortune 2

All worked fine at maxed or near maxed settings cept BF2]

But... the pauses could also be punkbuster, over at the planetbattlefield.com forums people were complaining that playing on non pb servers fixed the problems. But that didnt work for me.

I just hope EA grows some balls and actually supports this game as well as Ive heard they have on the previous BF games

9. Bryer

Bryer Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT PE 256mb AGP
    Lowering my AGP Apenture size helped a little! Patch is on the way for BF2!

10. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Bah... I dont even know how to do that. Dont know how to overclock, I dont trust myself. Most I did was just turn off fast writes in the control panel :p

11. Bryer

Bryer Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT PE 256mb AGP
    AGP Apenture can be set in the bios of your motherboard. Also turn lighting to medium and watch your game become lag free. The only lag i suffer now is internet lag, which is a pain in the ass.

12. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Press F1 during a reboot to get into the bios? Ive done that I think, only option I saw for the video card was to use pci or agp

13. Bryer

Bryer Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI x850 XT PE 256mb AGP
    Did u build ur pc yourself? Its normally in the Advanced Chipset part of the bios.

14. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    I don`t know bout you dudes, but I fixed my problems. 1st off, I am using the 77.72s and they rock for me. But I too was getting the chug/jitter thing. Yesterday I added 1 more gig of ram. ALL fixed.

1 gig is not enough for this game. For 1, your O/S is using a fair bit of that 1 gig, not to mention all those Services running in the backround, if ya haven`t tweaked those. You all know if the game doesn`t see the ram it needs, out to swapfile it swaps. This jitter/lag peeps are seeing is the swapfile usage.

It being way slower than ram... THAT imho is your problem. I tested by starting A.I. games 1st. No lag or stutter. I went into the largest servers. Again. All is good. When I had just 1 gig, I got the stutters/lag, and going back to desktop took about 15 seconds or so to get control back. It is all gone now.

15. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    Unfortunatly im using a modded HP Pavilion a550e same mobo that came with it, same soundcard, same cpu, new psu two more fans, and my 6800gt

I just checked the bios in the advanced. Only thing having to do with my video card is changing the devices PCI or AGP to which will be used.

Other stuff in there is for onboardsound and the like

Last edited: Jun 25, 2005

16. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    HHmmm... well for me adding another GB of RAM would result in no more dual channel because one of my RAM slots is blocked by my CPU cooler. So I would have to add a 1GB module to my 2 512MB modules :( How much of a performance hit would I take by not being able to use dual channel?

17. N00bsMustDie

N00bsMustDie Member

GPU:
    2x Geforce 7800GTX
    I dont see how it could be ram related for me, the new drivers worked perfectly and ran perfectly in single player, but as soon as I hit multiplayer it started pausing.

Ive seen alot of people playing that said punkbuster gave them lots of problems, but I cant see how it fits in with me just using newer sets of drivers

18. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    I too am getting choppy gameplay, its not so noticeable when your on the ground but jump into a helicopter and take to the skys and you notice it all goes pete tong every 5-10 secs. I have used 77.30 (which seemed ok on the demo) i was using 77.50 up until today when i upgraded to 77.72 which suffers the same problem. I really don't want to upgrade my ram as i will need to upgrade to ddr2 at some point.

One thing that doesn't sit right is you said your game was fine with 71.89 so that suggests its a driver problem and not RAM?

19. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Hey Guys..

No lag here ( Apart from server lag ofcourse )...just dont put your graphic settings to High !.
    Been there !....Seesh, i thought it would run great but no...Dice ****ed up the engine with a memory HOG 1.
    But oke....just need to adjust the settings

My Specs --->

BF 2 Settings...

1280x1024
    All Maxed but --> Texture Filter ( Medium )...
    --> Shadows ( Medium )...
    --> Lighting ( Medium )...

View Distance @ 97%....Can go Higher ( Not tested yet ).
    AA 2x
    AF 0x

Drivers XG-77.62HD Type 2

24 Background program's Running.
    All Services i don't need ---> 31 Disabled
    Reg. Cleaned Up
    Defrag hard-drive every 4 days
    Scan for Spyware

My Rig runs great :).