Radeon 9800 Pro AGP compatability - could use some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Burns, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Burns

Burns Member

GPU:
    Evga Nvidia 7900 GT/KO
    Hello again. Ill get right to the point. Ive got a Radeon 9800 Pro and its running on my Asus P4S800 mobo. My problem: The bloody thing will simply not function in 8x AGP. I have no problem running the card at 4x AGP. However, I have tried to switch it to 8X AGP with the following results:

- My system will crash after a few minutes of playing a game.
    - Recently Ive tried setting it up again but rather than crashing (i didnt wait long enough to see if it would) there is massive graphic tearing on all games (recently confirmed with BF2).

In BIOS, (RIGHT NOW) the AGP is set to 4x with Fast Write Enabled. Smartgart also has it set to 4x, with Fast Write Off (there is no way I know that can turn it on).

Ive got the latest drivers for my AGP, my Video card and all associated components. However BIOS was not upgated as new initerations say nothing about improving AGP stability (as far as I know at least).

So then what steps, if any, can I take to get AGP 8x to work properly? How can I get fast write to work (as my mobo appears to support it)?

2. ironblood

ironblood Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS ATi Radeon x1600pro 256mb
  3. Burns

Burns Member

GPU:
    Evga Nvidia 7900 GT/KO
    Heh. Thanks, I will try that out. My problem has actually been upgraded since I posted this. A few days ago that Motherboard died (its goin RMA). Needless to say I replaced it with a Asus P4R800-WM Mobo. Smartgart will not even give me the privelage of turning AGP on. I think that the Onboard card on this mobo is interfering in some way. I have tried drivers from ATI and from ASUS in an attempt to get AGP to even work at ANY level. So far I have failed. Tech wizzes, got any suggestions??? The main problem is between the P4R800-WM and the R9800Pro.

Edit: I looked closely at Information Center Tab and it says that the system is running in 8x AGP. Why then, doesnt Smartgart seem to want to say the same thing?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  4. Agent_D

Agent_D Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    omg, the SIS chipsets suck ass, when i was working at a local PC store we couldnt get a 6600gt to work on a sis chipset for anything, had to switch to VIA.

5. Burns

Burns Member

GPU:
    Evga Nvidia 7900 GT/KO
    Thats why I replaced it.