6800GT to FX4000 Bios Flash?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Robert_Hague, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Robert_Hague

Robert_Hague Guest

Cool, great news - but don't you want ppl to test it before? ;) ;) ;) :D

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Because I _never_ release anything untested to public. It never happend in RT's history before and never will.

3. Robert_Hague

Robert_Hague Guest

Ok, then i volunteer to be a beta tester for this script ;) ;) lol

4. rui0317

rui0317 Master Guru

GPU:
    5900XT to QuadroFX3000
    Hi Unwinder

It is very good news !!:D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005

5. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Good work Alexey! :thumbup:

I guess while waiting for a new RT release i will have enough time to find a customer for my ATI FireGL X1 256Mb (before getting a 6800 Ultra)... ;)
    I only wish more mobos out there were equipped with AGPPro50 slots... it would be much easier for me to find a customer... ;)

6. Robert_Hague

Robert_Hague Guest

Maybe unwinder could patch up that BIOS i posted (the PNY FX4000 release bios) and post it up for us to try if he wants** :D

I want to compare this to the DELL BIOS and see if they benchmark any different (as well as have any/same bugs).

** = please please please please please.... lol

7. m8yshkin

m8yshkin Member

Unwinder, i'm just curious about something, i'm not very experienced with vga bios editing, so i hope you don't mind if this sounds a bit stupid.

With the patch you've created for unlocking quadro functions in the FX4000 bios, could it be applied to a 6800 bios? Ideally i'd like to use the leadtek 6800GT bios for my card (it has the right memory timings etc), but with quadro features unlocked in it, and the deviceID strapped in the bios rom to 004E, so that my card appears as an FX4000 to the drivers in windows and linux. Is that going to be possible?

8. star_f

star_f Member

GPU:
    Ati HD4870, 512 MB
    I wonder if the BIOS mod is guaranteed to yield a faster Quadro than NVStrap. I tried NVStrap on a 6800 nu, it unlocked the Quado 100%, but with rather poor results in SpecViewPerf 8.01. Though about 10% faster than before, the RT modded Quadro FX4000 did hardly 60% of a real FX4000, with especially low values in 3ds. This difference cannot be due only to the lower clock rates of the plain 6800 nu.

The SpecViewPerf 8.01 results posted here for BIOS modded 6800s almost equal those of the real Quadro FX4000, as published on spec.org.

As far as I understand the discussion and Unwinder's explanations, NVStrap does quite the same as a BIOS mod. Or is there still something missing?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Of course NO. They do absolutely the same things.

10. Robert_Hague

Robert_Hague Guest

The main advantage of flashing the BIOS is that you have a Quadro 'all the time' not just in windows. So if you run Linux you can install the Quadro drivers etc... but apart from that it should be the same.

Something to be aware of is that im running an Opteron (with 1meg of L2 cache) and other people also have A64's and overclocked systems.. they might be producing the better results than someone on just a standard AXP for instance.

The system the FX 4000 is on in those benchmarks is quite a beast too - so that could affect it.

11. m8yshkin

m8yshkin Member

Unwinder, i don't see the quadro bios patch script in the new release (15.4), could you release it still? i was patiently waiting for the new rivatuner so i could use my 6800 as a quadro in linux with that bios patch. Please, i'd be very grateful.

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    He already stated that he decided to scrap the patch from the 15.4.
    Hopefully it will be added in a later release, but don't hold your breath too much... ;)

13. greenears

greenears Guest

UNWINDER, also it would be nice to have a more obvious memory setting tables in Riva Tuner. I mean is it possible for those guys like me, who have no clue what those 8 characters mean to give an upper hand?
    060F1B15
    Or at least how to calculate that back and forth? Thank You

14. Marvel1964

Marvel1964 Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 Ultra
    Excuse me sirs,
    I don't understand a strange thing...
    I flashed two video boards with Dell bios: one Asus 9999gt and one Gainward 6800LE. Asus works without any problems (good!).
    The Gainward card doesn't boot with Dell bios, but can mod into fx4000 perfectly with Rivatuner (I activated 16/6 pipeline /vertex also!). Viewperf run very well.
    Wich is the problem? The Dell bios functions only with 6800gt and ultra? There is a incompatibility with Gainward? Can you help me?
    Thanks in advance

15. falconusa2001

falconusa2001 New Member

OK people. Please give me advice. I was looking to buy a Quadro FX 4000. Now I learn that it is possible using River tuner to convert NVIDA 6800 to Quadro 4000. Could someone tell me please what card would be the ideal for that 6800 ultra or gt? Are PNY made cards good for that or should I look for another brand like Leadtek?. Also do i need to do anything else in addition to river tuner? Please forgive my ignorance

Also why and do i need to have quadro 4000 bios also done?

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005

16. pastor

pastor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6800GT - Dell bios modded to quadro 4000
    I'm using since 6 months this Dell bios trick and it works perfect for 3d Apps (3dsmax + maxtreme)

But the problem is I can't play any games because they hangs after some short period (between 10 sec and 2 minutes)

got a message like "nvidia sentinel show that the graphic card is not properly powered"
    The molex plug is okay and my PSU is at least 520W

I've read some message about similar problems with Gf FX5900 and the solution was to flash the graphic card bios for a newer bios ... So My guess is that Dell bios can do good for 3d apps but screw your chance to play to any games :/ (I prefer 3d apps than games anyway but ... )

Any other experiences ?

17. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Flash the original BIOS (or a newer version of it) and use NVStrap for Quadro modding.

18. palm521

palm521 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gt volt-modded @ 800-1900
    those settings are actually the memory timings.. :p

19. pastor

pastor Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6800GT - Dell bios modded to quadro 4000
    Thanks for the help!

* does it give you the same 3d pro apps performance ?
    * does the nvstrap modding imply that you are forced to use obsoletes forceware drivers or you can use whatever drivers ?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  20. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    No, you can use any drivers you want (unless NVidia decides on patching the hole in some new drivers of course, but that will also disable the BIOS patch trick)