A couple of 6600 GT questions

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Umi_Ryuuzaki, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Umi_Ryuuzaki

Umi_Ryuuzaki Member

GPU:
    nVidia 6200
    As I wait for the BF2 demo and play CS Source on a bit of lag for a week longer, there something I need to know before I put my new Chaintech 6600 GT AGP into my system:

1) Will a Antec TruPower430 (430 watts) thats about 3-4 years old hold up? I know it has like 20A on the 12+v side, but would its age be a concern? I'm willing to drop the money for a new one, but if I can avoid it, then its good.

2) I'm familier with driver cleaner and rivaturner - would it be a good idea to uninstall the old nvidia drivers (71.89 as of now), driver clean it and then install a fresh set of drivers (official or otherwise)? Also, got a recommended driver?

3) What are the avg. temps for this GPU? I heard its more forgiving than a 6800, but the HSI bridge thing gets really hot. I got a fan card (Vantec's Aeroflow) and hopefully, it stays coo.

Thanks guys =)

2. Species20

Species20 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GeForce 6600GT 128Mb w/ NV Silencer 6 rev 2
    1) I wouldn't worry about your PSU It doesn't get worse with age only thing maybe would be dust blocking ventalation at worse

2)someone else can answer

3) My stock HSF on my 6600 GT Idle temp's were about 56 and load 63 (my stock HSF was copper thou the same as the BFG HSF).

Edit: My card is PCI-E so doesnt have the possible extra heat of the bridge chip

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  3. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    1) Should be fine, no real cause for concern

2) Not necessary, but yes it can be a good idea. Recommending drivers isn't easy, everyone has their own favourites, I'm currently using 76.45s (just about to try the 77.13s)

3) Follow this link and it will give you some ideas:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132969

Hope this helps :)

4. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    1) Your power supply should be more than enough.
    2) Uninstalling your current nvidia drivers is a good idea but not necassary. I always install the newer drivers right overtop the old ones. I've never had a problem. Going from ATi to nVidia or vice verse can cause problems and it recommended to do a cleaner.
    3) Someone else will have to answer, I have a 6800GT

Edit: I'm slow :(

5. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    1- Probably no problem with the psu.
    2-Ye. You should make a clean install of drivers if you are going to put a new card. Reccomended driver? Well systems are diferent and therefore they respond in diferent ways to the same software. I´m currently using 76.45 and they work fine for me.
    3-With stock cooler i get 65-70 load. But i live in a very hot place. 40Cº outside today.

6. t12an04

t12an04 Guest

1) your psu is fine. check your voltages once in a while
    2) when I install a new gpu (or other major components), i back up my files and reformat my HDD.

format hdd, install win xp, install sp2 (comes with dx9c), install mobo drivers, and then gpu drivers (these steps are important, you wouldn't want driver "mix-ups"). a computer can get cluttered with "gunk" and the drivers for almost every component gets "infected" (not with viruses, ad-ware, spyware, stuff like that). if you do a clean install of xp, your gpu can have a nice fresh and clean environment to work with.
    3) *if youre wondering why i am answering this part of the question, even though i dont own a 6600gt, its because i do a lot of benchmarking on diff. hardware (i dont own these components)

when under a workload (PCIE version), it can get to about 64, and on idle, its about 52. the agp version can get a little hotter, about 55 on idle, and 68 under a workload. but it also depends on how hot the comp. is, and what the room temp. is. the stock fan will do just fine (since its approved by nvidia). but when installing the vantec, avoid any damages to the card.

7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    get a 6800 ultra instead :p

8. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    psu will not be a problem ..... use latest drivers like the 76.44 and later ...

my card idles at 55c-60c and under max load 75c-80c (its summer back here) ...

9. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    My Antec Truepower 430watt runs 2x6600GTs without a problem (it's over a year old).
    As for drivers, try the ones your using, if you get any problems change them or do as I and most others do...............try them all!

Chief.

P.S. these cards run hot! when i installed them my system went up 5 degrees, my CPU 8 degrees and the cards ran 70 idle. I installed a pci exhaust fan next to the cards and turned my side case fan around so it was blowing in. Now cards run 55-60 idle, system is back to normal and CPU is only +3 from what it was. I may purchase another PCI fan and place it between the cards so i can let the first card breath better (the 1 thats nearest the CPU)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  10. Umi_Ryuuzaki

Umi_Ryuuzaki Member

GPU:
    nVidia 6200
    Alright, thanks guys for the input. I think if things in Cali get really warm, i'll probably leave my case side open or get a new case that has better fan placement.

allesclar, I could get a 6800 Ultra...but I would be bottlenecked like hell and also...it wouldn't fit in my case =P