My Pny Verto Geforce6600gt Slow!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dp911, May 28, 2005.

1. icon51

icon51 Master Guru

GPU:
    Prolink Geforce 6600GT AGP
    no matter how you try to make it work, if the card is bad then theres nothing you can do but return it.

did you use driver cleaner to clean the old drivers?
    also make sure the molex cord is connected to the vga card.
    whats your power supply?
    yeah your cpu is a bottle neck but not that much.
    I bet a pentiumIII 1.4ghz is faster than that.

and dont panic. people here will help you. have patience my friend :D

2. dp911

dp911 Guest

ok ty.... im trying to calm down.... wooooosaaaahh. Well, i was thinking of returning it but i went through too much to get this! my power supply is 450watt/ my processor speed 1.8ghz/and i used the driver cleaner but i think its pointless cuz the drivers i download for the 6600gt dont work anyway!BTW whats a molex cord? is it that three way plug with white ends? i connected it to power supply and the hard drive.... isnt that what im suppose to do??

3. noobie dude

noobie dude Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX 8800 GT OC 512MB
    is it connected to your card?

4. icon51

icon51 Master Guru

GPU:
    Prolink Geforce 6600GT AGP
    yes thats the molex cord. it has 4 wires from the PSU with the white end plastic thing. connect that to your vga and make sure its not sharing with hard drives or fans or anything.

5. Mitch007

Mitch007 Master Guru

GPU:
    leadtek 7600GT AGP 600/780
    Make sure you have the auxillary power connected to the graphics card at the rear (same type of power connector as per your hard drives and optical drives.
    Pick a spare from the PSU...

Also that CPU with only 256L2 cach is going to seriously bottle neck that graphic card..

and make sure yo cot at least 512Meh on board DDR ram, preferably PC2700, since PC2100 will also be slow.

One further option to check if CPU is now limiting your graphical performance is to overclock it..what options do you have in the bios to change the FSB, ttweak it from 100 up to 110, that will get you to 1980, close to 2-gig. But not sure how well these willy core's o/c. the 1.7Gig piece I had was very poor so i bought a 2.4Gig Northwood on ebay.

Aditionally, do you know what motherboard you got in there...who makes it?
    worth updating the chip-set drivers to capture this next generation of graphics cars. I'm also guessing it's probably a x4 AGP slot

50fps with the 5200, that's with 800x600 no filtering right!

Also have you got 3dmark 2001/2003 and 2005 worth running these and posting benchmark scores...

but CPU L2 cach the fact it's only 1.8gig and, chipset driver me thinks is the issue, oh, and not having power cord connected....

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  6. dp911

dp911 Guest

so i dont have to connect one of the chords? leave a spare? cuz i connect the other one to the hard drive, C-Drive. Also my mobo is un-OCable. I already checked in other forums, they said my mobo is too old and is not OC compatible.

7. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    you just want a dedicated 12v line for the vid card. nothing else on that rail ...

8. ekloot

ekloot Guest

hi...just a thought...is counterstrike source like half life 2 where the game runs in directx 9 mode with a 6600 and only in directx 8 mode with the 5200?. That might explain some of the performance differences. Hope this helps.

9. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Don't think so. The 5200 is a DX9 card, it just doesn't do it very well.

Some people don't have this option. Mine only came with 2 rails. I had to pull one of my optical drives off line until I can get a splitter. Probably best on the optical line as they're not being used as much as the HDDs while gamming. You'll definately want the HDDs on a separate line.

10. dp911

dp911 Guest

ok,i need some help with driver picking. I checked on everything you guys told me and its still slow. So i went and got my old monitor. this monitor lets me use the new 7x.xx drivers! finally! i need some help on deciding which is good for 6600gt. I already tried the xtreme g drivers 76.41,76.44, and 71.89. I am currently using the 76.50 seeminthat it is working on it very well. anyone??

11. long lohn

long lohn Guest

i had i 5200 b4 my 6600gt and it ran cs s in dx 8 by default

12. ekloot

ekloot Guest

...yeah, if counterstrike source is anything like half life 2 then even though 5200's are directx 9 cards...by default they'll run in directx 8 mode. Like I said, I don't know if this is the case in counterstrike source but I know that's how it works in half life 2 unless directx 9 mode is forced.

13. Shion Uzuki

Shion Uzuki Member Guru

GPU:
    Brown Eyes @ 60Hz
    Hmm... I think you should backup everything, format you computer and do a clean install.

14. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    and don't expect too much of it, cause the willamette is a slow platform, especially by today's standards.
    the celeron-like 4x100MHz fsb & 256KB cache don't help too much either.

as you can see I have that pc in my sig, and in the beginning (3years ago) I was also very surprised by remarkably low scores on it comparable to my friend's faster amd/intel systems even with running a Geforce2or geforce4 in it.

btw, give us some taskmanager info, how many processes you're running, the commit charge etc. (before & after running CS::source)

15. nEffect

nEffect Guest

0_o ?