The Iriver IPF-799 MP3 playa

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by rebirthofham, May 17, 2005.

1. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    well, i just recently ordered one of these bad boys. I have read numerous reviews on them, but wouild like to speak to someone who actually has one. DO any of you have any personal experience with this player??

I would like to know if it's simple to use.

If the newest firmware has enabled using this as a removable storage device.

How the sound quality is.

How well the built-in voice recorder works. Can you record a professor speaking from the back of the classroom??

Around how many songs can you fit.

WHat's the best format for you overall. MP3, wav, etc etc.

Which formats does the player support. (This is the one i am most confused on, as many people say one thing, but specs say another, while yet reviews say another thing)

How's the sound quality for the worst format.

How the FM tuner is and how well it functions.

The aesthetics of the player. Is it pretty? Is it classy? Or is it just useful and have no true beauty?

Yeah, i guess i'm kinda asking a lot of questions, but hey, i'd like to konw them.

2. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
  3. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    as far all i know about irivers, the sound quality is generally very top notch. that particular model looks to be very good. the only gripe i have about it is the battery door as it seems to be weak and can fall off any minute.

with recording, it would be best to put the recorder near the front to record a lecture. maybe if the room was quiet enough and only the professor's voice was booming through the room, it would be okay.

my girlfriend has a 100 series iriver and the FM tuner is pretty solid when i used it.

the 799 model has 1gb of memory which is a lot. a 256mb player can store about 2 cd worth of music, or 64 tracks, if each track is about 4mb. so 1gb, well, u know the rest.

i prefer mp3 because it's the most common and the easiest format. re-encoding to another format would be too troublesome imo. but don't use anything less than 128kb/s for mp3. anything lower than that, u will have noticible sound quality decrease. 128kb/s i think is the best size in terms of quality to file size for mp3 players. i prefer 192kb/s on my computer.

based on the iriver website, this player plays mp3, wma, and ogg.

40 hour battery life on 1 AA is really really nice.

overall a great player. something i'd expect from iriver.

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  4. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    My dad has the 512mb verson. He seems to enjoy it. Good FM sound, good MP3 sound. Supports a variety of formats. Good battery life. LCD display. Way better than the iPod Shuffle.

IMO, OGG Vorbis is the best format. It just seems to sound better than MP3. It's a variable bit rate format so its more flexible.

5. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Well I have the H10, not exactly your flash player, but i'm sure they incorporate some of the same stuff. The FM tuner on my player is great, but it works through the headphones, so if your headphones are in an odd direction sometimes the station will go a little haywire.

Other than that it's a great player. Sound quality is awesome on my H10, plus it comes with SRS WoW (don't know if your MP3 player will) but it's insane, and makes the sound 10x better.

OGG Vorbis I have to agree is great, but alot of stuff is mp3 so reformatting something would kind of suck, especially if you used a p2p program to download, it just wouldn't even matter then.

I hope you enjoy your player, iRiver is great, much better than Apple and all the other gimmicks out there.

6. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    thanks for the replies.

How would i change the format of my files to OGG.

7. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    google OGG, you can convert them.

8. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Converting any lossy format to another lossy format destroys quality. It's best for ripping CDs and converting WAV files.

9. rebirthofham

rebirthofham Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 oc 400/875
    hmmmm

anybody know if i can use this player as a removable storage??

Also do any of you know where i can find some hacked firmwares?
    i can't find any searching on google.