Guru 3D SLI Users Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MikeMK, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    ATI seems just having problem for put in massive production the chipset, The R520 is ready in real.

2. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    guys - I got my machine running pretty good tonight... I changed the multiplier to 10x and upped the FSB to 250 and relaxed my memory timings to cas2.5 3-3-7 1t @ 2.8v! it's doing very well so far... so the cpu is @ 2500 and the memory is @ 500 and the htt is @ 1000... seems like a very good combo so far...whew... :) I also loaded up the beta bios for the Neo4 SLi which is 5.0 beta 6... seems good. :) it kept all of my settings when I loaded the new bios. I was pretty happy about that. :)

I tried changing the PCI-E to 98, 95, 90, 85 and 105 none of which changed any OC ability for my GTs.

and wow... Pain Killer is pretty wicked... lol. the monsters are c-r-a-z-y. @ 1600x1200 with all options maxed and 4xAA I am getting like 125fps on average!!

I couldn't make it to CompUSA tonight to get GuildWars... arg!! I want to play that one bad... tomorrow!! :)

3. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    dont you get hickups or lock ups with that much of on OC with games...do games perform that much better with an OC'ed system...i always thought one would get weird skips and stuff....

Great Run...nice.. hope your enjoying the game :)

im going to get PK today hopefully... :)

4. phrozin

phrozin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980
    hey up guys

Marrithanx m8 bloody good post woke me up a bit with your REAL compares nice job! Must have been too much coffee, Jesus I like this forum not full of knobs like other!

Rev I don’t think you will get those volts up that high with the pots in the psu but you maybe right 68gt' (cores suck) any I understand you completely once you start tweaking its additive :p

Anyhow I really want to know how the new bios is and did you get any extra options as you know I have a neo4 sli here as well and its kind a growing on me, it has managed to take away the bad taste the neo & neo 2 left.

Mike your right again think I may just keep the u's I haven’t scratched the surface with them yet would be a cop out not to vmod them and push the crap out of them.

as for pain killer you haft to do battle out of hell its out there.

anyhow I am off line for a couple of weeks got to finish me house (getting lazy) so be safe all catch up with you all then :)

5. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    phrozin thanks and take care...

Well i had 5hours with the X850XTPE...and the only bad thing that happent that days was that i wanted to format and thus i did..and that i wasted my entire day...over something i did'nt like even like in the end...but atleast i can sleep well now.. :)

2x6800Ultras..come on...even 2xX850XTPE's might only be able to pull a lead over it just as much a single X850XTPE has over a single Ultra..with an added 5 to 10% more just incase AMR is better then SLI... :D
    but i cant be sure...20% more i guess...overall

but then again...we cant be sure of what game it'll do that on but one thing for sure games with SM3 :D will be better performers on the GT's or Ultras then 2xX850XTPE's and may be even the GT could or would catch up easily then...

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  6. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    --> marri :: I don't get hiccups in games... I my machine performed better last night than it ever had... I was quite pleased with the outcome of my nights OCing efforts. :) I think my machine is happy there... I like the fact that my memory is @ extacly half of the HTT... it could just be me, but games seems to be a little herky-jerky when I have HTT and memory and CPU at sort of un-even numbers... it can't be so, it's got to just be my nuerocies... but that's what I was thinking last night... everything was so smooth and glassy at the settings I finished at... hmmm... well.. anyways. :)

--> phrozin :: it's very possible that is the case... it could just be a +/-0.5 or so volts trim on those pots... who knows... I will likely get too curious and find out sometime... Yeah - I am starting to think that the newer 68GT cores are crappier than the old ones... are they just Ultras that didn't make the cut? ..my PNY 6800GT definitely OC's a ton better than these MSI GT's... I am seriously considering some alternate cooling solution for my GTs... I have a feeling the memory is not gettting what it needs to cool off properly with those thermal pads... Does your H2O kit cover the memory also? anyways.. I am pretty happy with my mobo and memory now... the beta 6 bios didn't give me any new options that I could see, but it did give higher voltages for the ddr! goes up to 3.1 now... w00t! the board seems rock stable, so I would say it's safe for you to try... it even kept all of my settings when I loaded the new bios. that was a nice touch. lol

7. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    revenant cool...i just could'nt imagine my self doing what u guys do...all that dangerous stuff...nice... :)
    tc...

8. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    I was wondering what u do about this. Ive been saving my pennies and i recon in a month I can afford my watercooling kit. Think im gonna go for this one:

http://www.asetek.com/main/page.asp?sideid=441

im going for a kit, cos im a noob at watercooling (hey... we all have something to learn ;) ), so dont feel comfortable with a custom setup, but i wanted high performance which i think that will give me. Obviously I will be getting a second GPU block to go with that too!

9. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    That looks like a good one for price/performance/all in one... nice! :)

I was chatting some some folks over at extremesystems and they recommended this for the 6800 (GPU and mem)

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=64&cat=48&page=1

special lo-pro for SLI folks, like us. :) but wow is it a lot of $$$$$$ for each block... it does cover the memory, though... I am going to start planning my H2O setup here also.... I think I need to get a new case though, also. lol

10. DeadFish

DeadFish Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x NVIDIA GeForce 6800ultra (SLI)
    I got new PC - It is amazing but I am confused with the profile.

Pics below :

[​IMG]

That profile above is fine as I chose SLI multi- GPU rendering mode - works very well on HL2, CS S etc. But when I selected Half Life 2 profile, pic below:

[​IMG]

It says: 'Predefined (read on.....) Read on what?

What does that mean? Did I do something wrong?

I'd like to fiddle with profiles but I'll wait for the answer.

Thanks for replying

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Nope, by pre-defined it means its been predefined by Nvidia for the best SLI mode for performance/compatibility. Basically, all officially SLI supported games will have 'predefined' modes, that will allow them to work optimally. There is a way to modify this, but i wouldnt recommend it as Nvidia has already tested the games and set the drivers to work their best for each game.
    The good news is, HL2 officially supports SLI, and it flies! ;)

12. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    That dangerden looks sweet, but too much cash for me im afraid!
    As for the case, im gonna mode a hole in the roof of mine for the dual 120mm radiator, and see if i can mount it that way. Otherwise I will be getting a new case too - probably something like the Coolermaster Stacker.

13. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    --> deadfish :: I think that just means it uses some pre-defined settings which allow HL2 to run at optimal levels under SLi... pretty sure... I have yet to really use those profiles... there is a cool util for managing them outside of the driver... I think it's on this site in the video card utilities seciton. :)

--> Mike :: yeah, I will likely have to put mine together over a couple of months here... I am looking at some of the coolermaster cases also. :) I would like to get this one, though

http://www.directron.com/pc3725bk.html

whew... another $500 lol

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yeah, coolance are pretty good i think. And that looks pretty awesome. Might have to look around myself ;)

15. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
    yeah, well, just the radiator I think...

"Components Required: Cooler kits such as the CPU, hard drive, and video/motherboard chipset are not included with Koolance systems. To operate the system at minimum, a CPU cooler is required. Other liquid components (such as the radiator, pumps, and LED display) come pre-installed. For more information, please see How to Build a Koolance."

this is another great one:

http://www.directron.com/pc3720bk.html

16. DeadFish

DeadFish Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x NVIDIA GeForce 6800ultra (SLI)
    Mike says : The good news is, HL2 officially supports SLI, and it

Yes It runs perfectly on 1920 x 1440 with max everything!

Anyway, thanks for reply!

17. revenant

revenant Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX260 SLI
  18. Noway05

Noway05 Member

GPU:
    Zotac gtx 1080 founders
    Hey i finally got my new rig so i want to try some ocing but i don't know anything about ocing an amd64 or what settings are best for my mobo. Can anyone give me a hand? =P

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I'm looking for a good Watercoolings kit, and i have post screen
    of one i can have for a good price, the 1A-Coolings Blacklord
    I have finally find an article from Overclocker.com and it' s on the top rank...The model i can buy have new pieces since the model tested just for more perf.

Link to the test..

Link to the rank list

Tell me what you think about it

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  20. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yeah, that looks fantastic. Similar to gainwards solution. One other thing that occured to me when staring at my DFI was that there is practically zero chance of getting a chipset water block on my board, there is just no room with the Ultras in there. A bit of an annoyance, but i guess its not critical, although that chipset does get pretty hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.