FreeFireGL?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Royicus, Mar 8, 2005.

1. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    My card is a genuine 256Mb FireGL X1 AGPPro50 (built by ATI) with device ID 4e47.

2. ZGF

ZGF Guest

Wow, a real FireGL! Sorry I misunderstood you (or underestimated..)
    But you didn't answer my question - I asked your SubSystem ID (mine for now is 0x00020002) and PCI revision ID, and NOT your PCI Device ID (I know it).
    PCI Device ID and PCI revision ID are two completely different things. See 3DMark system info, please.

And I flashed that FGL X2-128 (hacked) bios from Adrian's Rojak Pot (I've seen that bios on many other sites anyway), as it is, without modifying. No success, my SubSystem ID changed to 0x00020002, but it should be 0x00021002 (the last 1002 is the SubSystem Vendor ID, 1002 = ATI, 0002 Vendor doesn't exist at all). Other bioses don't fit my card, because of samsung (ddr2) memory (mine is hynix).

Right now I've installed that 'good old' Forsage 5.1, which has a built-in script FireGL_X2@9800, so I could launch OpenGL applications with usual 9800Pro ogl renderer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  3. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

ok, i'm still not following.

I used the latest drivers (downloaded from ATi), hacked them using rivatuner and a little bit of editing myself, installed them, and tada, a FireGL X2. Works great.

This thread will tell you everything you need to know.

4. ZGF

ZGF Guest

The latest unified drivers for FGL are 8.103.2 (10 march 05), and you used 8.083 drivers. I don't know which Catalyst corresponds to 8.083, but where I can find yours drivers now? On ATI site there are only 8.103.2.

I've managed to get that string PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E4B&SUBSYS_00021002&REV_80 flashed into my card, but again, FGL drivers installed normally and no pro features enabled. So I admit I was wrong talking about subsys id 0x00021002.
    From here I can see 2 ways to continue the mod:

1) Somebody, please, would you be so kind to go to the 3dmark system info and look up your PCI revision ID???

2) I have to find an older driver (e.g. 8.083) and make a softmod.

Ok, I've found 8.083, will download that big (22mb) package during this week and make a softmod.
    But before that, I'll do some further investigation about my hardmod not being functioning (maybe my soldering was bad.. I'll try to sold it once more..)

5. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Here it is:
    ======================
    Name ATI FireGL X1 AGP Pro
    Vendor ID 0x1002
    Device ID 0x4e47
    SubSystem ID 0x01521002
    Revision ID 0x0080

6. ZGF

ZGF Guest

AlecRyben, thanks. Your PCI revision ID is the same as mine, so it doesn't affect either hardmod, nor softmod. Now I see something is definately wrong with my soldering or bios.

7. ZGF

ZGF Guest

Anybody tried 8.103.2 ? How good they are?

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    I just installed those and they show a little better performance in 3DMark05 and SpecViewPerf 8.01 but nothing substantial (easily within the error margin).
    My guess is that 8.103.2 are probably a bug fix / certification fix release.

9. CraveForJ

CraveForJ Guest

i have successfully modded my Sapphire X800 Pro to FireGL X3-256 but why can't i see any performance gain in 3ds max 7? I have tried all the graphics mode but still i can't see any gain. How can i benefit more from this FireGL mod?

thanks =)

10. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Have you installed the special FireGL Max driver? If you work in default display mode (softwareZbuffer), there will be no differences.

What performance gain are you looking for?

If you are looking for higher rendering speed, than you are looking in a wrong place. You need a faster/extra CPU for that.

The only extra performance the SoftFireGL mod can give you is when working on a high polygon count objects in wireframe. The FireGL drivers are also more stable than catalysts when working in pro 3D apps like Max...

11. CraveForJ

CraveForJ Guest

yup i installed FireGL Max driver. I tried both OpenGL and the atiom7gl.drv driver but the viewports are still slow when i try to move high poly objects.

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    well the difference you can spot usually lies in the middle of the complexity curve (the transition between medium & high) since:
    low complexity => fast in both catalyst & firegl modes => no visible difference
    medium complexity => slow in catalyst, fast in firegl => visible difference
    high complexity => slow in catalys, slow in firegl => no visible difference

It also depends on the speed if your CPU, but since you have a very capable CPU (3.0Ghz with HT), in your case there is no problem there... ;)

Also make sure you are not using FSAA/AF and you have VSYNC = ON. Enabled VSync makes a huge difference to windowed OpenGL apps.

13. SorrowsSong

SorrowsSong Member Guru

GPU:
    2x8800 GTX 625/2000
    Hi all!

Well, i have a x800 xt pe agp, and the best card available to softmod to is the X3. Still it isnt up to my cards performance (see ATIs comparisson charts). Isnt there a more modern one to softmod to?

Another question thats bothering me is not that there'll be a performance improvement im my games, but rather decrease in performance. Can this happen?

Well, if you have any opinions....

14. gobbles

gobbles Member Guru

GPU:
    x800 -> x800 xt pe 526/570
    you WILL lose performance in games...i myself got bored and flashed my x800 pro vivo (x800 xt pe right now) to the firegl x3 bios..everything went well, ran aquamark before and after...lost like 1800pts on GFX for aquamark, keep in mind that it was using X3 clocks 450/475 (i think,might be 425/450) and not the x800 xt pe clocks 520/560....try it for yourself, you can flash to X3 bios without harming your card one bit...hope this gives you an idea on what you were looking for answers too...

15. SorrowsSong

SorrowsSong Member Guru

GPU:
    2x8800 GTX 625/2000
    Thanks for the reply gobbles!

Well, i was talking about the softmod option available on RivaTurner, but the best option is the X3....

So, Ill keep using the normal catalyst drivers as you said it slows games down.

See you!

16. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    Re: Make your own FreeFireGL drivers by using RivaTuners SoftFireGL patch

<misplaced post: please delete>

17. danster

danster New Member

is the latest drivers that u r using 8.103.2?
    i have no problems using 8.083. but when i tried to patch the 8.103.2 ati2mtag.sys, the rivatuner reported patch unsuccessful,
    even with rt1.55 as well.
    oh well, i guess the latest drivers arent supported by rt.

18. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Yea, I don't know if the latest drivers are supported, but if you can use the older ones, I'm not sure if there is a real reason to use the newer ones :p

*shrugs* The old ones work fine for me, so I just use them. There is a new rivatuner version out, 15.5 I think. I could be wrong on the version. Maybe that will have support, maybe not. I'm just guessing.

But yea, I know the older ones definately work, as do you ;)

19. Fersy

Fersy New Member

is the x800 XL 256mb supportet by freefiregl ?

20. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Guest

GPU:
    No, but you can always try to make your own - there were some instructions on how to change the patchscripts on the RivaTuner forums - search button is your friend... ;)