prescott question....

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by darthanakin23, May 6, 2005.

1. If I am not overclocking my prescott can I drop the voltage a little bit to drop the temperature? Right now at full load the max it hits is 53 celsius, going by the motherboards temp sensor. I had a northwood before this and I am just paranoid because of the temp increas, it is not something i am used too, so can i drop the voltage without any issues?
    darthanakin23 is online now Edit/Delete Message

2. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    I would not drop the voltage at all, just leave it at stock. Your temps are perfectly fine, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

If you are truly concerned, the best option is to upgrade the CPU cooler, or get some better thermal paste, but I think you will be fine as you are. Thats not too bad for a prescott IMO.

3. Well I put AS5 on it and it has the koolance waterblock on it, i have the koolance case so i just put that block on it now, since i have a MSI 865PE neo-2 motherboard in this other computer can it be that it is reading the temps higher then they should be?

4. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Oh ok, didnt realize that about the cooling system.

It is very possible that the motherboard is reading temps higher than they should be. My abit board tends to read temps off of the motherboard about 12C higher than they actually are, so I dont really trust mine personally. Maybe your board has the same thing going on.

I have a Thermaltake Hardcano that reads me my temps, from any one of its 4 temp probes.

5. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

Actually dropping voltage drops some heat, but you risk instability and especially could probably also ruin your CPU.

Avoid please, i suggest more fans or anything else but not dropping voltage. :)

6. Well I have two fans sucking in from the front and two blowing out from the back...I thought that would be adequate...My stock voltage for the prescott is 1.38 right now, does anyone know if the MSI 865PE neo-2 motherboards read temps higher then they should be?

One last thing what should the stock voltage be on a 3.4 prescott processor? I am just wondering....

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2005
  7. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Stock voltage is around 1.34V -1.38V. I am running mine at 1.58V and my mobo says my temps are around 60C under full load, which is crap (they are actually around 50C, the motherboard just reports wrong temps). Nice overclock by the way.

8. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

My friend have a PRESCOTT on an Intel 915 mobo, of course the intel will read 10C higher cause it get it directly from the CPU like the ASUS does usually, anyway..

His CPU idle is 58C and under load can go 80C, it's funny the guy that said 60C is crap, that's actually very good, considering my friend have 5 case fans and his pc sounds like a mini-vacuum. :D

9. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    I have 4 case fans, a processor fan, 2 fans on top of my memory, a fan on my northbridge, 2 extra fans on the rear of my motherboard, then the fan on my GPU and two fans on my PSU. So that = 12 fans. And the 60C reading is high, many Abit motherboard users have the same problem (it reads that my ambient temp is 40C+ while my GPU says 30C and I have my air conditioner at 70F). And 80C isn't good either, most gurus will tell you to not get it over 60C, as it will effect performance and life expectancy in the long run.

10. mikeymike

mikeymike Active Member

GPU:
    Asus X1900XT + X1900 master
    00-00-00 if your friends CPU keeps going upto the 80 mark then i would say even he got a faulty probe which is common or he ****ed up the cooler somewhere. If i ever saw mine go over the 65 mark i would worry never mind if it hit 80.

11. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

If your running at stock voltage and you drop it more, you will not see a temp drop the prescotts run at almost the exact temp regardless of voltage. (withing 2-3C)

SVT Amateur stock 3.2 runs at the same as my stock 3.0, his OCed 3.2@ 3.9 runs just as hot as my 3.7 OC even though his voltage is MUCh higer then mine(1.285 for me)

12. I used Throttlewatch and while playing games it showed absolutely no throttling at all, obviously this is a good thing.

Now I am wondering is it better for my computer to take the side case off? I want to just improve it as much as i can, is this recommended? I also have a real powerful fan about 2 feet away blowing into the case. I cant put the fan right by the computer because it has some kind of interference with my monitor.

What do you guys think?

13. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    Why do ppl go on about Prescott Temps being high, mine isnt, never has been and never will, (25 Idle, 50 Load), my Athlon XP2600 runs at 49 Idle. Also on hot days my CPU core is cooler than my ambient (both m/b and GPU reported). I have 4 80mm case fans (3 side panel, 1 rear) and a 120m Front mounted fan, havinf run this PC for 3 days solid last weekend.
    Also my usual 3.6 OC produces next to no temp increase.

It just goes to show, if you spend money on a decent CPU cooler then you should never have a problem

SVT: I have my new RAM now (TwinX 2-2-2-5 LL) so im gonna go after your record when i have time :)

14. That really didnt answer any of my questions, im glad that your going after a record etc...Anyone out there able to give me their opinions on my above question?

15. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    Ok, to answer your question, NO you should not drop the voltage on the CPU below the default level, and as long as the temps in your machine dont exceed 60-65 degrees you should be fine.

Any electric source which generates magnetic fields (fans, heavy PSU's etc) will screw up CRT displays due to said magnetic fields

Keeping the sides on with a good fan configuration will generate airflow through the case if set up properly and will keep all your hardware as cool as possible, but as i stated earlier anything less than 60-65 is perfectlly OK.

16. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    I didn't catch what cooling you are using. As for advice about voltages... if you're not using that crappy stock HSF, then you should have no problems. With my modest Thermaltake sink the temp barely varies between stock and my current 1.525. This so happens to be the maximum rated voltage of the chip, so I just put two and two together. Going above that is not recommended, and it didn't improve anything for me. Feel free to ask any more questions if you like. Btw did you try fiddling with your memory timings and such? peace

17. Numinous

Numinous Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4
    Specs for the Prescot CPU are max 67c from the Intel website. I average 45c idle and 56c under a full load with a stock HS/F and Arctic Silver 5.

18. Swiss-Tony

Swiss-Tony Active Member

GPU:
    x850xt pe 256mb
    I got a 3 gig prescott with the same board m8 but still with stock hs and fan . 45 is the norm i guess , with the side of my case it does go down a bit. I use the core centre thing that comes with the motherboard disk for the temps, again with every version change it tells me it NOW reports the correct cpu temp. One thing i know for sure is they run hot ,,,always ,, i nearly craped myself at first but i lernt to just accept they really do have a hot core. I am going to get a better cooler on mine soon just to see if i can get it down abit was thinking of this baby

http://www.asus.com/products/pccomponents/cooler/gaming/starice/overview.htm#

will let ya know how it goes :)

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  19. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    Mine runs at 28-32 idle and 48-52 load, under and Akasa King Copper HSF, my m8 had 3.0E on stock was running 60+ got oneof these and dropped 10-15 degrees :)