Please help!!! my 6800gt is dead!:(

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by erewyn, May 2, 2005.

1. erewyn

erewyn New Member

Hello all, im new to the guru3d forums..I got a serious problem w/ my 6800 gt. I just upgraded my computer

Athlon xp 2500+
    ASUS A78NX-X mb
    350W ps

to a :
    athlon 64 3000 (sct 939)
    MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R mb
    500W ps

I was using my BFG 6800gt w/ the old system and i had no problems with it. I overclocked my card by using omni bios editor vmod 1.5 and it overclocked very well. but since i got the new mobo and the new cpu everything went bad. And now the screen during boot is like the matrix code!! windows logo is mixed and also for some reason the new case i bought is fried so i bought another one.. i dont know whats goin on?? is my card fried also because of the overclock ??
    Please help me guys thx!!

2. jerin222

jerin222 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA - GeForce 7800GT OC 256MB
    First stop panicing. Then once you have made sure that you have everyhting that you need for the computer to function, check it and see if anything is uplugged or loose. Now, since you completely changed your system, you will have to format your hard drive using Windows XP. You say you can't even get to the BIOS so .. try to manualy clear the BIOS. It should say how to do this in your motherboard manual. Try starting it up then. Go to yur BIOS and check it all the devices are getting recognized. Now wipe your hard drive, format it with a CLEAN copy of Windows XP.

3. erewyn

erewyn New Member

I dont have my old system anymore but it was working well with it.. i have used my card for months without a problem. what i did is i took my friends 6800gt which is not overclocked and plug it into my system and everthing worked fine. and plugged mine to his system and same thing happened at his computer i can see the bios when i boot but its dizzy and everthing mixed up..
    at first i thought is a software prob. and i formatted my hdd but after the format it became like this .. now i cant do anything
    and about the fried case i took my to the computer store for service and they told me all cables for the psu melted or smt?? i just dont understand can a video card do this
    how can i understand if my card is fried ? and is there anyway to save it if it is?

4. Jacku62

Jacku62 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 690
    well volt modding is not to wise to begin with.. i would of waited till the next generation came out b4 i did that one... anyways.. if you fried it... you fried it.. theres no helping that one.. but if someone who has a dyno... they might be able to tell you whats wrong with it

5. jerin222

jerin222 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA - GeForce 7800GT OC 256MB
    Wow, I think you fried it man. I guess all you can do is ask for an RMA and hope that they will give you a new card.

6. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    an overclockin that went horribly wrong...im sorry for u man..erywen i agree with jerin there try askin for an RMA..i hope ull get it

7. omicronak02

omicronak02 Member

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 GT @ 380/1080
    ok, a long time ago i had the same problem...same matrix-looking stuff on the monitor. I thought I had fried the card as well because well, that is what you first think off when the image goes bad. After checking all the components I still thought my 6800GT was to blame. But after an indepth check at all the components I noticed that it was my PSU that was to blame. Turns out the PSU had made my motherboard unstable and all the other components. Before I could swap out the PSU it took out my motherboard (a piece of the 20 pim connector had melted onto the mobo). Sure enogh, after i swapped the psu and mobo and installed the same 6800 GT, the problem was gone. SO check your PSU....or mobo.

Hope that helps...btw, before all this i tried everything else...drivers, updates, everything untill i was ALMOST 100 percent sure it was my vid card that was at fault....but it turned out it wasnt.

OOOPS...just read the other posts more closely...yup, if your card does the same thing on your friends computer then it would safe to say that it is fried...sorry man!

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  8. iExplorer

iExplorer Guest

I got only 1 time the MATRIX style after i installed my TVTUNER on 3rd reboot, and i never overclocked or voltmodded or tweaked ever.

i had Garbled text in bios screen and windows with my 9800 PRO, after a reboot it works perfect for weeks and still works 1.5 years on, so i wonder.

lesson learned by frying card?

9. palm521

palm521 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx 7900gt volt-modded @ 800-1900
    well same problem on 2 computers doesnt sound right.. do this..
    blind flash your old bios make everything as it should .. and test if problem persist.. rma it.. most likely noone will find out..