Man i am going to laugh my a$$ of if the new pope died.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NvidiaFreak, Apr 20, 2005.

1. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    Benedict's Age, Health Prompt Concern

45 minutes ago Europe - AP

By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer

VATICAN CITY - Pope Benedict XVI predicted a "short reign" in comments to cardinals just after his election, and his brother said Wednesday he was worried about the stress the job would put on the 78-year-old pontiff.

Joseph Ratzinger has had ailments in the past, including a 1991 hemorrhagic stroke, that raise questions about how long his papacy will last — and whether the world will watch another pope slowly succumb to age and ailments on a very public stage. Benedict was the oldest pontiff elected in 275 years.

German prelates have expressed concern about Ratzinger's health. One young priest from Cologne, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press in Rome that Benedict has trouble sleeping and has a "delicate constitution." The pope's brother expressed a similar concern in a television interview.

The Vatican refused to comment Wednesday on Benedict's health, citing his privacy. The Vatican never officially confirmed Pope John Paul II suffered from Parkinson's disease until after he died at age 84.

Several cardinals, however, acknowledged that Benedict's term will be marked in years, not decades, and that he likely will not be the globe-trotting pope that John Paul became after taking the helm of the Roman Catholic Church at age 58.

"We'll see what he feels like. I mean he's not a 56-year-old, you know," said British Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor. "He's a little bit older than that. So he may not do too much traveling. But you never know."

Benedict himself referred to his tenure in comments to cardinals just after his election Tuesday, when he explained his choice of name. Pope Benedict XV, who served from 1914 to 1922, worked to prevent World War I during his brief pontificate.

Chicago Cardinal Francis George said Ratzinger, who had repeatedly asked John Paul to let him retire, told the cardinals, "I too hope in this short reign to be a man of peace."

While he has no apparent history of chronic health problems, the German was hospitalized at least twice in the early 1990s, including in September 1991 after he suffered a hemorrhagic stroke that temporarily affected his vision, according to Time magazine and Vatican journalist John Allen in his 2000 book "Cardinal Ratzinger." There is no indication the stroke left any lingering health difficulties.

A hemorrhagic stroke, otherwise known as a bleeding stroke, can be caused by many things, including high blood pressure, head injury or weak blood vessels. It is different from an ischemic stroke, which is caused by a blockage in the blood vessels in the brain.

In August 1992, during a vacation in the Italian Alps, Ratzinger was knocked unconscious when he fell against a radiator and bled profusely, Time and the Italian news agency ANSA reported at the time.

Time quoted him as saying a year later: "Thank God, there are hardly any traces of it now."

Benedict's brother, the Rev. Georg Ratzinger, told the AP on Wednesday from Regensburg, Germany, that he was concerned about his brother's health and the stress of the papacy.

"I'm not very happy," Georg Ratzinger said. "He's OK, and his health is good. I just wish for him, that his health holds out and that his office isn't a worry and a nuisance to him."

Polish Cardinal Jozef Glemp said Ratzinger's age came up during the deliberations only because the cardinal turned 78 during the pre-conclave meetings Saturday "and so there were well wishes. But nothing more."

The pope seems to be in very good physical condition for his age," Glemp told the AP.

But Ratzinger, the oldest pope elected since Clement XII in 1730, was clearly chosen as a transitional pope who would fulfill the unfinished business of John Paul's 26-year yet not be another long-term pontiff.

"Obviously he's 78 so he's not going to have decades ahead of him, but he has a lot of zeal and energy, and he has already committed himself fully to the work ahead of him," Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony told CNN.

Thomas Frauenlob, director of St. Michael's seminary in Traunstein, Germany, where the pope studied as a youth and still visits annually, said he had never heard of any major ailments.

"He seems healthy," said Frauenlob, who last saw him over the New Year's holiday. "He comes and eats and drinks whatever he wants."

Man i am going to be rolling if he died, when will these people learn not to pick old people to be as pope's, pick someone who is $50 or 55.

2. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    lol i was doubting the choice of a pope of almost 80

3. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    despite the awful headline and the result of every other pope thread, against my better judgement, Iäm gonna leave this open for now.
    If I see, 1 single thing remotely resembling a flame, I'm gonna close it (as will other mods) and bad stuff will be happeing to the poster.
    It would be nice to ahve a civil pope thread.
    And as a warning (and cause I like the picture), flamers will get this prize
    [​IMG]

4. thanx nm+. :) finally a pope thread.

i hope the pope has a good reign. he looks lively and healthy on tv.

5. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    man u are sad....

but that isnt all, so its not a flame!

okay, heres my opinion. first of all, if the new pope did die, it wouldnt be "funny" but rather ironic. it would be sad if he did die, not funny, but i see where you are coming from

6. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    they pick old popes because wisdom comes with age and they don't want their popes to rule that long ;)

7. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I think that laughing at the death of what I've already read to be an excellent man is NOT what I call civil.

I think that could be plausible reasoning. Still, if I were that old, I'd be retired, but that's just me.

8. ma77%ew

ma77%ew Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire at. 9800pro
    just what i was thinking

9. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    yeah but those men give devote their lives to their religion, so i understand their point :)

10. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have no idea how stressful it is to be a pope. I'm sure he has to have some security in case some punk tries something. However, to be in charge of basically an entire religion, carries a lot of responsibility. I don't know if at his age he is able to handle it well. He may be in great shape for a 78 year old, but he's had some health problems before.

I know from what I've heard from other people that being a pastor at a large church is a stressful job. I knew one of which I had great respect for, and he retired at just over 65 because he just couldn't handle it anymore.

11. Pr0v

Pr0v Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus A9600XT/TD
    its technically not even a job, being a pope, cause he dont get payed :p

but yeah, its all about lifelong devotion...

something i really never could handle

12. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

:| who sed he needs to be payed.... he gets it all free

and to the person that sed wisdom comes with age,

thats a wrong assumption

wisdom comes with experience

and a 40yr old pope could have more experience in 21st century Terraforma then an 80yr old pope

13. TheGriffin

TheGriffin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Meh, I think they got the point that no one cared about the Vatican for the last while until the Pope died, but now they want to get more attention, so picking an older will bring more attention to the Vatican when he dies...

They want attention to get donations, etc.

Plus maybe they used this guy to take their time to pick a proper Pope, Remember they didnt make up their mind for a while? So they'll make up their mind and when this dude dies they will vote the dude they want =)

Either way, I hope he's a good Pope!

14. panZEr gt

panZEr gt Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800gt 433/1200 @ 1.4v AC-nv5 modded
    What exactly does the pope do, other than sit around and wait to die?

15. the pope is the most powerful man in the vatican. he's the dictator. he's in charge of a nation that has branches all through out the world and provides the world with hundreds of milions of dollars of charity each year. and since the pope is the leader of a religion that claims 1 billion followers the pope is also a powerful political figure. just try to think of one president or prime minister that hasn't met the pope in the last few decades.

and cybermarine, lol. the pope dying doesn't mean an increase in donations. the catholic church does ok with donations no matter what. reason they don't want a pope to reign for too long is the same reason anyone doesn't want any powerful political figure to reign for too long. imagine how it would be for bettor or worse if bill clinton would to be president for 40 years. would you want any president or governor of a state to be in his position for too long?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2005

16. panZEr gt

panZEr gt Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 6800gt 433/1200 @ 1.4v AC-nv5 modded
    I bet he pulls beats alot

17. BFA

BFA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX470
    The pope must get so much ass.

18. PcKSnipE

PcKSnipE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800GT with Nv-5
    dude....you can't laugh at anyone's death, especially the pope's....but i'm not offended, but i know a lot of poeple might be

19. didn't you people see nm+ warning? you people are heading for a ban from the pub or from the entire forum if you keep on that.

20. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    he has a funny name.... ratzinger or whatever it is... better then benedict :p

The catholic church is among the richest entitys in the world - so yea, in a way the pope does get paid and it is a job. He won't be nearly as influential as John Paul II tho.

Personally, I think the cardinals elected an old and frail guy so they could manipulate him easier to do their bidding. Then again, no one really knows what goes on behind those doors so heh..... good luck to benedict XVI - lets hope he lasts a few years, I couldn't tolerate this crap again anytime soon!!!