9700pro

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by morfeus02, Apr 19, 2005.

1. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    When i play any game with my new 9700pro after half an hour the framerate go down to 30 fps and then the game starts slowing down but the fps is stable at 30 fps.
    I think it's a problem of overheating of the cpu but i'm not sure,
    PS: this problem comes immediately when i play HL2
    Can anyone help me?

2. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    My only recomendation is for you to run the game in DX8.1 mode and it should give you better framerates. I know the 9700pro is very capable of running in DX9 but the card did come out before it was released.

3. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    but why when i play doom 3 only after an hour this problem shows himself?
    It's like if i was running a defrag while playing but without making the hd work ;-) i think i'll format the Hd because i've already installed 3 different Videocards on this pc and everytime new problems come out.
    But if anyone can help i'll appreciate.

4. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    i'm thinking, while your online, your bandwidth or cpu usage is being taken away from the main game, i/e it gets bad after awhile.

I used to have the same problem with farcry, started fast and sweet, after 5-10 mins, i got 10-20 fps, unplayable.

This was there problem, net code.

I have 2 questions for you!

1) what sound card are u using? (have u updated drivers)

2) what ethernet, or modem are u using.

If i were u, what i'd do is run hl2, then when it goes very slow.

Goto options and view hl2 in a window, not fullscreen.

Then press ctrl alt del, that will bring up task manager.

Then click on processes, and check where your cpu usage is being used.

Let me know how you get on with this.

Trust me, it is not your graphic card.

This last part is for twtaylor, is that your sys specs as of right now. if so, i hope you know your graphic card is serverly limited with that processor.

I get 15,000 in 3dmark2001. and although my specs are on right says overclocked. that score is at standard default.

5. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    i'm connected via lan to a router
    I got a 5.1 audio card with drivers given by win xp update
    what do you mean by my cpu is slow? It's 3 ghz i thought it was fast enough! Do you think that by reinstalling windows i'll get it work good?

6. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Probably a new installation of windows would sort this problem out, but thats up to you(depends how much u have installed, etc.)

No 3ghz is fast:)

What i meant was, from your post it sounds like your saying, when the game begins its fast or runs nicely, then after awhile goes very slow.

Also worth checking if theres newer drivers for your soundcard? sound can cause no end of problems.(been there done that)

Read the part of my post about running hl2 in a window etc.

Follow that is check your cpu usage, if your game is using 99-100%, then we can rule that out.

7. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i would do a reformat, especially after you've install different video cards over time. it's most likely a windows problem and a good reformat/reinstall should be fine. but you should also check your cpu temps and gpu temps as if they get too hot, fps will slow down.

8. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    If you're getting a steady 30fps, it's possible you're running only a 60hz refresh rate and using vsync, without getting 60fps it'll drop to 30fps until it's able to reach 60fps again to stay in sync with the monitor. Try enabling triple buffering, raising refresh rate, or disabling vsync if you're using it.

9. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    thanks everyone i'm about to reformat now

10. XmodifierS

XmodifierS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    It is normal that your fps drops after awhile of CSS action.:) One this is for sure is its heat and can affect ur cards performance. Try this do a stress test before and after playing, for an hour maybe. Also while playing turn off programs that you dont need runnig in background.

11. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    :p Old news I'm afraid and yes, I am very aware that my card is bottlenecked by my CPU.

12. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    how do i do a stress test?

13. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    Start CS:S and click on Stress Test.

14. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    CS:S????

15. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    I thought u knew it m8, just larking:)

But do u also know, Windows me, is the slowest os in gaming?

16. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Windows ME is the slowest gaming OS? Not by a longshot. In comparative tests done by experts and myself personally, XP is the slowest, 98SE and ME are a virtual dead heat. The counterpoint to that is that XP is the most stable gaming OS. I don't have XP because right now there's no compelling reason for me to go out and plunk down 120 CAD right now. In my next upgrade, it's going on though.

Update: I stand corrected, it is now the speed freak of gaming but not by a whole lot. Windows 2000 is the slowest BTW.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  17. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I dont think so bud.

18. XmodifierS

XmodifierS Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB
    Upon Purchasing Half-Life 2 you have the choice to download/play Counter-Strike:Source it is the next generation version of the original, ofcourse using HL2 source engine. This is packaged with HL2 :) Enjoy. When you do get to run it, click on the button Run Stress Test and it will give you a good idea to what ur Fps might be while actually playing. Performance may vary, you should be getting between 70-80 on default. (High All\Reflect World\No AA\AF. 1024x768) <---You get these default settings with the right rig, I.E. 2ghz+ Cpu and 768+ Mem. If you didnt know already. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  19. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    OS Tests

This is just one and I can find more.

20. Lateralus

Lateralus Member Guru

GPU:
    Built-by-ATI 9800 Pro 128MB 256-bit
    That article is from September 2001. Hardware and software has changed enormously since then. Notice how their RAM tests are down with 96, 128 and 256MB. XP was designed with more RAM in mind, so there's no damn wonder it runs like crap with such a small amount.