Having Problems Reformating

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BeakerMan, Apr 15, 2005.

1. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    Ok im trying to reformat my old computer and the only 2 ways i know how are not working. When I put the Windows CD in the computer and reboot and try to delete the partition it says it has temporary setup files that are required for installation and cannot delete. When I reboot in command prompt and do format c: and hit yes it says something about the volume being used about something else and asks if you want to unmount the volume and when I type y then it says it could not do that. I cant figure this out. If you know why this is happening or know a better way of reformating my hard drive please let me know quick.

Thanks,
    Blake

2. Jimgeruk

Jimgeruk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4850
  3. §moke™

§moke™ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 7900 GT 256meg
    yeah a winxp bootdisk should work

also if your copy is bootable go into your BIOS and change the cdrom as your first boot device. before windows loads you should have the option to boot from disk by pressing any key. if this works then you should get to the screen to format the harddrive and start installing windows.

4. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    try a copy of partition magic by powerquest if you can get one

5. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    The only problem is my floppy drive dosnt work on the old computer. Could i just put it on a cd rom?

6. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    partition magic 8 comes as a bootable CD which boots the system with DR-Dos then runs the program :)

7. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    Alright ill try downloading that tonight after im done watching a lacrosse game.

8. convax

convax Master Guru

GPU:
    GF 6800GT @ Ultra
    or just google search for a WIN98SE cd boot disk, burn it,and then use FDISK from the dos prompt to wipe the partition table then windows should install onto it like it was a new drive, a further note, i had a machine that would not format HDD's with windows install and it turned out to be incompatibilty with the CD-ROM drive, when i booted from my DVD drive it worked perfect