PCI-X Connectors

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dont_shootme182, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a A64 and was wondering if I go with a PCI-X MB, do the video cards require a special molex connector to the PSU. I just got a Enermax CoolerGiant 480W which doesn't have the PCI-X connectors on them so it would suck to have to change the PSU again.

TIA

2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    OMFG PEOPLE, IT'S PCI-E NOT PCI-X. There is a difference.

Ok, no that that's out of my system. There is a converter that you can buy to get the connectors but it takes up 2 molex connectors and has to be on it's own line, like with nothing else connected.

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    PCI-e or PCI-E is PCI express.
    PCI-X is PCI-X. A different bus that is sort of an extension of the PCI one, and is backwards compatible with PCI and vise versa. PCI-E is NOT backwards compatible as they are not the same thing.

As far as the molex. If your PSU doesn't have a PCI-E molex, then you can get an adaptor for it.

4. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yeah, thats been bugging me too recently!

But as for the connectors - yeah, theres an adaptor, but it requires 2 molex's for 1xPCI-E connector.

5. Dont_shootme182

Dont_shootme182 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 295
    Sorry for the PCI-E mix-up. Does this adapter comme with the video card by any chance. I'm looking at either a BFG or eVGA card.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    yeah, both mine came with an adapter so i should think yours does. Probably differs from one company to the other though.