Coolbits auto-detect OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by tytlyf, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tytlyf

tytlyf Guest

GPU:
    eVga
    Using coolbits you can allow it to detect the "optimized" OC for your video card. I have used it, and it came back with some crazy number, like 562/1030. I have stock cooling. I dont use those numbers, I keep mine stock at 500/900. So let's here what you guys think about this feature, is it accurate/safe, use it or not? Thx everyone.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. tonvanrijn

tonvanrijn Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 460 OC
    I use it for my XFX6800GT and no problems until now.
    It gives me around 400/1100.

3. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    Anything AUTO-MATIC is just a Educated guess for the computer. Not really reliable. But sometimes the auto-detect can sense the linits of the cards mem and core. I don't trust it enough to use it.

4. gobucks

gobucks Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT PCIe @675MHz/1800MHz
    a good guess is to take whatever they say and lower the speeds by 5MHz core/10MHz memory. That will likely be stable for you - if not, you'll probably see artifacts or crashes, in which case back it down further. As for those numbers, they sound about right - in fact, the memory can probably go higher. Most 6600GT AGPs use the same 2ns (1GHz rated) DDR3 that is used in the PCIe version, but it's clocked 100MHz lower. As such, they can usually do 1GHz with no problems, often higher. My PCIe version can hit 1155MHz, so i would think the AGP should hit at least 1080-1090. With the core, maybe 550MHz would be a good speed to try.

5. tytlyf

tytlyf Guest

GPU:
    eVga
    People mention temp problems when oc'n. I have found no way to view my card temp. Nvidia control panel (display properties) has nothing on card temp. Any easy way to find out what my card is feeling temp wise ?

6. Bigwave

Bigwave Member

GPU:
    9800Pro Flashed to XT
    Just to throw in a few numbers to compare. I don't use the feature myself, but my MSI 6600GT AGP runs at 550\1100 quite well. Should be ok at the "Auto detect" setting it found I would think.

7. gobucks

gobucks Member

GPU:
    XFX 7900GT PCIe @675MHz/1800MHz
    tytlyf, unfortunately, if the tempurature meter in your nvidia control panel is blank, i guess your sensor is dead or something. Try using ntune - it might detect the sensor. If not, assume it's hot - with stock cooling, my 6600GT hit 80C under load! With a Zalman VF700, it dropped to 62C. The good news is that OCing doesn't raise tempuratures much, so you should be safe if you keep it reasonable. And the memory is fine on temps - it won't start to get really hot till well past 1100MHz, maybe higher if your cooler covers the memory chips (mine didn't, but my new one has RAM heatsinks to help cool). In my opinion, OCing your memory to 1GHz is virtually risk free, and even OCing to, say, 540/1080 is pretty damn safe.

8. MisterGeese

MisterGeese Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS-GTX 980TI
    i use this auto detection : it found me 433 & 1160.
    i set up to 429 and 1120 without problems.:cool:

9. KivaWolf

KivaWolf Member

GPU:
    nVIDIA BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC 512MB
    Anyone who has the BFG OC series never bother with the auto detection mainly because the max default setting that BFG places there is already set. Coffee? Tea? DIG IT?!!!!!!!!!

10. Beren-OneHand

Beren-OneHand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    auto gives me bugs, so i use manual

11. ehven

ehven Active Member

GPU:
    Connect3D x850pro 500/1000 - 5.13
    i get 553mhz/1.01ghz with auto detect.AGP version - - - - >

12. tytlyf

tytlyf Guest

GPU:
    eVga
    when I meant auto, I meant clicking the "manual overclock" and then clicking "detect optimal frequency". My card still doesn't have a temperature readout anywhere in the nvidia display panel. I think i'm missing the feature. Or my card isn't equiped with the sensor. So from reading all of your OC's seems like I would be safe at say 525/1050. I guess you want your memory to be twice your core for the best efficiency? And if I really wanted to push the card, say for benchs, 570/1140 would work fine.

13. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    I have read the PNY 6600GT does not have a temperature monitor. You could try getting a fan controller with the sensors and put them on the graphics card to get some idea of how hot its running.

14. tytlyf

tytlyf Guest

GPU:
    eVga
    I would think if I start to OC it at say 525/1050 I wouldn't have to worry about temperatures. I hear you have to worry about temps when you start givin it more voltage.

15. Dolph29

Dolph29 Guest

I have a BFG 5700 Ultra.. and OC it to 525 MHz and 1.03 GHz whith no problems, which is close to what it detects.