Overclocking problem with 6800GT

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by N-Freak, Mar 15, 2005.

1. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    Ok,

Ik have bought a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, AMD 64 3500+ and some other stuff like a SATA hard disk.

I already had a videocard, MSI 6800GT in my other (old) pc. It was running at 425/1150. No problems worked fine.

Now the problem is. I want to overclock my 6800GT in this system, but I just can't overclock it. When I overclock it everything goes fine. 3DMark05 says the stuff is running at the speeds I put it on. But then the problem comes. I run 3DMark. First the loading seems longer and second the FPS are much lower, so is the final score. Stock: 4900 and at 425/1150: 3800.

I have already turned nv/ati speedup off, but that didn't work. Now don't say 'maybe your videocard just can't overclock', because it can run at these speeds in my other pc.

I hope someone can help me.

2. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    some times graphic card oc differently on different systems.

is there any freezes or artifacts when u bench?

to me it sounds like ur oc may not be stable in the new rig so ur scores have dropped.

try reducing the oc a bit and trying again.

targ

3. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    I had a similar problem when I put my GT in my current system--->
    On my Abit IS7-E my card wouls OC 433/1150
    On the MSI lucky to remain stable at 380/1000

4. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    You sure iits running in performance 3d mode? not low power?

5. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    Yes, I am sure it's running in 3D mode.

So I can't overclock it on this mobo? I think it's something else. When I only put it up like 1 MHz my score goes down by 1000 and my fps are also low.

Man, why does this always happen to me...

6. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    Are you using the same psu from your old machine or did you replace that too. I currently can't over clock my GT much at all with my computer freezing but I already know my enermax 350 is to blame for that. If it is the same psu maybe your current components are hungrier than the old.

7. dune2

dune2 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yea, I'd check the psu too. Maybe you can tell us your amps and all the stuff you have in your pc? Also, make sure that the vid-card has its own 12v-cable! Don't share it with a hdd or optical drive. That could drain the pipe.

8. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Look in bios

For hidden options. I'm at school so im kinda useless but you need to disable the ati/nividia speed up option in the bios. From memory, presss Shift+F2, then ALT+F3 in the overclocking submenu to enable hidden options. MAke sure you lock the agp freq to 67 also.

9. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Ahhh yes another victim :)....

Its a problem between the Nforce 3 Chipset ( FW ) and teh 6800GT Drivers/Bios....

Really alot of ppz have this problem and all have a MSI K8N Neo 2.

Ive got it too....Max Stable OC 390/1060Mhz.

The only thing that should help is flashing your VGA Bios ...( Some ppz reported that it works )
    But i dont really dont wanna do that...It will be my last option.

Or you can Disable FW in the bios...then it will OC !...but it will be slower because the CPU has to do more work..
    So you dont wanna do that..

Only '' Save '' thing to do right now :) is too wait for a Fix ..

10. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    All have a Neo2? All? I'll let that slide for now since you probably don't know any better. Not all of us have problems overclocking our GT's. And my GT was bought last July so it probably has an "old" or maybe a "good" bios. I OC'd it in a Asus K8N at the exact same speeds that i have set now.
    Have you tried the MSI forums? That would be your best bet.

11. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    read my post alittle better next time....

'' REALLY alot of ppz have this prob...and all with a Neo 2 '''
    Ive got this info from the Msi forums dude...so chill out.

12. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    To get back at the PSU question. I've got a NeoPower 480 Watt. That is enough power if you ask me. And I am only sharing the power cable with my floppy disk reader.

As I said. I have already tried to disable NV/ATI Speedup. That didn’t work. But it’s good (in a way...) to see that I am not the only one with this problem. And I don’t want to flash the bios of my videocard.

13. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Mooi je komt uitNederland :p....

ff wat makkelijker uitleggen :).

Ik las dus op het Msi-Forum dat Veel mensen dit probleem hebben en dat er niks anders op zit dan op een Fix wachten.

Wat je wel kan doen is in de Bios FW ( FastWrite ) uitzetten.
    Dan kan je je kaart wel overklokken.
    Alleen zodra je FW uitzet, verlies je fps omdat de cpu nu meer moet verwerken.
    Probeer het maar uit en kijk wat je het beste vind.

14. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    Danku!

Ik wacht wel, hoop dat het niet al te lang op zich laat wachten.

15. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    Yes i did read it carefully. Your sentence is worded to mean that all people with a Neo2 are having this problem which is definitely not true.

16. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Mmmzz...i see your point there dude :D.

Im sorry...

What i meant is that, the ppz that have a Prob with OCing a GT have also a K8N Neo 2 :)...

17. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    I have been trying some things. Like putting the AGP freq to 67 (standard 66). And I gave my videocard it’s own cable (it was sharing with 2 fans and a floppy drive).

I had an accident with my system and had to reinstall it.

I tried to overclock it again, but this time with RivaTuner.

Well I am able to overclock it right now, but I can’t get the core higher then 400. I am running at 401/1150 at the moment. And so far so good. It is stable and I haven’t had any problems (yet :rolleyes: ).

But I still don’t know why I can’t get to the 425. I just can’t believe it isn’t getting enough power. I have an Antec NeoPower 480 Watt. With my system that should be more then enough right?

Is it the AGP freq?

edit:
    I was to early. I have been running CSS Stress test for a while and at the 3th time it happend. A short hang and the fps went down.

I am now running at 390/1150. Let's hope that this remains stable.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  18. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    It should be enough. How many total devices are you using though? How many case fans? My old truepower 480 is probably a little weaker than yours, but it is my limiting factor when trying to overclock my cpu.

19. Marley

Marley Don José Cuervo

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 275 GTS
    Well, I have no problems OC'n my GT on my Neo2

See my profile

All of this off an Antec Truepower 430. 400 is more than enough for a system today. My old computer the processor was at 1.9v and had the same amount of everything else, including my 6800GT OC (though not clocked as high). So you are fine on PSU unless it is not providing enough voltage on its rails. Check your 5v 12v rails and make sure they are right use Core Cell. My rails are either spot on or .01 - .03 over. But anything +- 5% should be fine.

20. N-Freak

N-Freak Member

GPU:
    HIS Ati x1950 Pro 512MB
    I have the Sunbeam Transformer case which contains one 120mm and three 80mm (blue led) fans. And the green neon bar in front of the case. One hard disk, DVD player, DVD burner, floppy disk reader. The motherboard with it’s stuff. That’s about it.

And I have been playing css for an hour stable at 375/1100, If I take it higher I get one short hang and everything goes lower than stock.

edit:
    CoreCenter says:

Vcore: 1.49 v
    3.3v: 3.25 v
    +5v: 4.92 v
    +12: 11.72 v

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005