Quick and Easy- Which monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Colonel Sanders, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS 6800 2-Slot ver. soft modded 16x1 6VP
    Well I have choice between either of these two monitors and Im just getting a big nosebleed trying to figure out which to choose.

NEC / MITSUBISHI LCD1860NX-1 18 INCH LCD for $325

or

Samsung 900DF 19" for 140

I know most will say the LCD but I'm very concious money wise. Well whatever thoughts anyone has to offer I'd be glad to listen. Thanks.

2. beavo451

beavo451 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x850XT
    LCD =). If you are money concious, it may not be apparent, but the LCD is the better choice. It consumes less power than the CRT and will probably pay up the difference and more in its lifespan.

3. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    If your worried about money out of pocket, CRT. But I agree that in the long run LCD saves money, and it look's a HELL a lot better that CRT.

4. Colonel Sanders

GPU:
    I heard CRT's are better for gaming are they not? How would the crt compare to the lcd?

5. beavo451

beavo451 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x850XT
    Yes they are better, but LCDs have gotten almost just as good. Unless you're extremely picky about image quality or are really sensitive to ghosting, you shouldn't have a problem. Besides, LCDs look nicer in my opinion as well as be easier on your eyes.

6. Colonel Sanders

GPU:
    I truly cannot recall the last time I looked at an LCD monitor screen which brings me to this question, doesnt the image distort if you look at it at certain angles? I like to show movies and stuff to my friends and don't want to cause problems for those who crowd around.

7. dense_drummer

dense_drummer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 6970
    Mine does slightly, I guess it depends on which monitor you get.

8. beavo451

beavo451 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x850XT
    The viewing angles have improved significantly and come close to a CRT now days. On mine (a Sharp model), the picture looks the same from straight on and at close to its max viewing angle.

9. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I would have to say if you want any monitor take a Viewsonic. They specifically make monitors which is good because they focus so much attention to detail in that one product.

My Viewsonic monitor has so far outlives all my monitors in terms of the quality/price to performance/and life in general.

Pick up a viewsonic, you won't be dissapointed. By the way LCD would be best choice of all seeing LCD's aren't that much more expensive these days.

10. Colonel Sanders

GPU:
    I would take a Viewsonic but my friend is offering me this LCD for only $325 while the retail price is over $500. Did a little bargain hunting and narrowed it down to these two. With everyones advice I'm leaning more towards the LCD. Thanks.