ATI and DVI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by davelar, Mar 3, 2005.

1. davelar

davelar Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 Pro
    I'm trying to get Vampire the Masquerade to run under Windows xp sp2 with a Samsung monitor (DVI input). I have an ATI x800 video card running Catalist driver 5.2. All I get is a black screen until the main menu starts. Troubleshooting this I discovered that the game works fine if I use the analog connector instead of the DVI. I ran dxdiag to test the display settings. Directdraw and Direct 3d test fine with the analog connector, but when I use the DVI connector and run the same test it fails when testing directx7 and directx8 modes but tests fine under directx 9. Can anyone else duplicate this problem testing DVI output and directx. I'd like to isolate if the monitor, video card or software is the problem.
    thanks

2. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    hmmmm no idea. it seems like it´s not the monitor, it works ok in analog, but it doesnt in DVI?? so what about reinstalling windows??? maybe a bad driver installation?? overclocked the card???

3. davelar

davelar Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 Pro
    I haven't overclocked the card, nor any other component. I have a wife and kid and can't afford to risk burning up any parts that I don't have the budget to replace. I'm not opposed to re-installing windows as a last resort, I just figured if someone else with a similar setup (DVI monitor and x800 pro video card) could run dxdiag for direct draw and direct 3d, I could determine if I really am having an problem or not. I suspect that the Directx 7 and 8 are not DVI compatable, thus the card works only in Directx 9 in DVI mode, but works in all modes under analog.

Thanks
    Dave

4. RTSAnime

RTSAnime Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800 GTX 256MB
    umm the direct x version would make no difference. It would still send the commands to the vid card. Its gotta be driver related isseus since the card will work in DX9 with DVI. Note: I know for a fact DX7 and 8 do work with DVI as my GF4 has no problems playing older games and I use the DVI to connect to a 17in LCD mon.

5. davelar

davelar Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon x800 Pro
    I recieved a dxdiag output file from another user who had a similar setup as mine. The only difference that I found in the setup was the refresh rate of the monitor. I'm using a Samsung 192MP and the recommended refresh was 60mhz. He has a Viewsonic and it was set to 70mhz. Supposedly my monitor can handle 70mhz. I changed the setting to 70 and ran the dxdiag again. This time I was able to successfully run all directx tests successfully. I then tested Vampire the Masquerade and was able to view the opening cutscenes - something that I couldn't do before.

Refresh rate was the problem. Set it 70mhz - problem solved.

Thanks for all the help