Driver IQ Settings Explained?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA Modified Drivers' started by Lex Luthor, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    High Performance, Performance, Quality and High Quality. I've adjusted these driver setting for years. Some drivers have had significant noticable IQ differences and some haven't. I've always excepted what the setting stated.

But now I've given it some thought. It doesn't change refresh rate, resolution, color depths, AA, AF or any other IQ setting that's independently set. I know turning AA down (or off) helps performance, so does AF, so does optimization and so on.

But exactly what does this driver setting do on todays set of drivers?

Very simple and very technical explaination, and discussions, are appreciated.

Lex

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  2. JeffP

JeffP Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT 450/1.20
    Bascially they turnoff certain optimizations which in turn result in higher image quality. If you look at the advanced settings while changing from Performance to Quality etc. you will see which ones it turns off or on.

While optimizations improve frame-rates by taking short-cuts they reduce overall image quality.

Jeff

3. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Jeff thanks. Yes I see that between quality and high quality. But I don't see any changes between quality, performance and high performance.
    Can you provide more detail on these settings?

Lex

4. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    A good test to see the difference is by using counter strike source (if ya got it).
    Select high quality, then start the offife map, go into the offices and look at the floor, it will be lovley and crisp with no distortion when u run.
    Run same again with quality, there will be a liitle distortion on the floor when u move about BUT its hard to notice it a lot.
    Run again with performance, and you will see a little more distortion BUT this time its more noticable.
    Run one last time with high performance and it will be very clearly distortioned.

anothe game which shows it well is call of duty.

5. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    COD is a favorite of mine. Yes I have seen differences in IQ with different settings.

I am not being clear though I guess, technically, what does it do? Why is the distortion showing up?

Lex

P.S. Good luck with those extra 23 points Stoner... tried modded 75.90's yet ; )

6. PoopyTheJ

PoopyTheJ Member Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT Crossfire Edition
    There are internal driver optimizations having to do with trilinear and Anisotropic filtering which are affected by the slider that you as the end user have no control over otherwise, ie, turn all the optimizations in the advanced control panel off and run a game on performance or quality, then run the game on high quality and notice the difference....

7. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6950
  8. JeffP

JeffP Member

GPU:
    Gainward 6800GT 450/1.20
    Sorry this is such a bad translation from Google but gives you a little more insight to what the settings do.

"The modalities High Quality and Quality currently produce the same yield are in the filter to trilineare that anisotropico. Nearly sure future versions of the driver will bring innovation from this point of view. Between Quality and Performance the difference is rather meager and consists mainly in one rendered leggermente better of the shadings. The High modality Performance, instead, reduces the adaptability of the anisotropico filter whose maximum detail present to 0° and 90° (is only excluded, therefore, the 45°). Moreover the passage from a level of detail to the other happens in less soft way (the famous one above all with the filter to trilineare itself)."

This topic was discussed in detail on the OC Forums but I can't find the thread now. They had a nice technical breakout of exactly what filters changed for each setting.

Jeff

9. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Jeff, Thanks man. That does expalin it better... I think! Let me see if I got this
    High quality is ansiotropic forced or capable.
    Quailty is is trilinear filtering
    Performance is... ok this one lost me
    High performance is 2 phases or basiclly bilinear

More comments?

Lex

10. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6800GT 387/1.07
    performance is brilinear, or hybrid filtering and it is a heavily optimized trilinear, basically