The 6600GT Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grunger, Jan 5, 2005.

?

How Does it work for you

1. Works Great - Love It

109 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Works, but not as well as i'd like

31 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Rubbish - I Hate This Card

23 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. mgaroz

mgaroz New Member

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX 460
    Not getting good scores

hey grunger, how do u manage to get those scores? look at my specs, almost the same, and still i only get a lousy 8000 points in 3dmark01, 34000 in aquamark, (i can't remember the scores for 3dmark03 and 05) but those are crappy too. At first i thought it was because of my motherboard, but after seeing your scores I know i can get more out of it, what bios revision are u using with your motherboard? I have revision 1013

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    The two benches you mention are highly cpu dependant (there are a few differences between our rigs - i have an OC'd 2600+ and 784mb of OC'd PC2700 ram) My card was also overclocked for those scores

but even so they seem a bit low, have you installed the via chipset drivers??

I run 1012 bios fyi

What are your 3dmark03/05 scores?? I your cpu a t-bred or a barton?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  3. mgaroz

mgaroz New Member

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX 460
    My CPU is a T-Bred non overclocked @ 2.0Ghz, and my ram is only 2100, my 3dmark03 score is around 6000 and my 3dmark05 I think is 3100, not crappy at all, but still i get low scores on the other two benchies. Also my gpu isn't overclocked, oh! and I'm using xtreme g 71.24 drivers

4. bryllo

bryllo Guest

mgaroz, i think u should get a better score in 3dmark03.

my comp. is slower than yours and i got around 6500 and i'm using sdram.

Have u patched ur 3dmark03 to ver 360?

I know this sounds strange, i got around 4000 marks in 3dmark03 ver. 350 and around 6500 in 3dmark03 ver 360.

Any ideas?

5. amarios

amarios Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    These scores any good with my hardware?:
    3DMark01: 16578 3dmarks
    3DMark03: 8204 3dmarks

6. the_n00b

the_n00b Guest

Well I upgraded from an Ati 9700 pro reluctantly, sold it to a friend who was building a system, for $100. So I was like I ll get a 6600 gt for like a $100 only, what a deal.
    Yet for some reason the only place the card seems to shine is in benchmarks. Because when I turned on the quality, frames drop to crap/2xAA 8xAF in most games I play, hell even some websites lag when I'm on them now due to the AA being on. Never had this problem with my 9700 pro, the performance hardly dropped any with AA and AF on. I guess this is where the 128-bit memory bus comes into play. I'm gonna RMA it and get a 9800 pro instead.

Found that the drivers from the nvidia site worked best for my card, 71.80s dropped my performance even more.

MSI 6600gt - agp bus

Personally I think nvidia needs to put more time in boosting performance with quality settings on. I'll take eye-candy over raw power anyday.

7. dan895

dan895 Active Member

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    I feel pretty much the same and did pretty much the same.

Sold my friend my 9600xt for 70 and bought a 6600gt. Benchmarks are fine and gameplay was that of my 9600gt. I bought a new power supply, a new sound card (to get rid of my External Extigy, and RMAed my first xfx 6600gt. (if i could have RMAed for a 9800, i would have.. )

Now things run pretty good.

I play CS and Source just about all the time when i play games, and I have run source at 1600x1200 with medium settings and it goes around 100 fps when im not moving and 60s when i am playing.

Plays fine for me now.. but i do not plan to buy another nvidia in the future. talk about confusing drivers.. yikes.

8. mgaroz

mgaroz New Member

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX 460
    Yes bryllo I have 3dmark03 360and 3dmark05 1.2.0
    And now that I remember, yesterday night I ran 3dmark05 again and it only scored 2810!!! I've never got that low my average was 3100, plus i noticed that my card heats all they way up to 99c when in 3dmark05, thats boiling point!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  9. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Dual xeon dude here . Yes , I think XFX did have a bad batch of cards , and if anyone got one , send it back and exchange it for a good one . I guess some are getting bad frame-rates in certain games with XFX , but that could be a problem with any 6600GT and certain setups , I think .

Chances are these cards were rushed out the door before the Christmas shopping season , without a really thorough driver testing . Years ago that was a good reason to never-ever buy ATI cards (the drivers were absolute junk) . Now ATI has turned a very ridiculous problem around (how many got burned on that one?) . This time , I think Nvidia may have just jumped the gun a little bit with these 6600GT's .

Dynamo

10. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Well , in my opinion , 100% synthetic benches are not going to tell anyone much . The best bench we have so far is Aquamark3 . D/L it ... run it ... and post your detailed results , that is CPU score and GPU score and total score . That's the only way we have right now .

If you really are serious about 6600GT's and benches ( I haven't seen anyone here this serious yet) then purchase Aquamark3's customizable bench and then run the 6600GT with high quality and high AA etc etc etc ... then we will see just how good this card really is on certain setups .

Easy for Nvidia to release a card that will fly on benches , but turn up the quality and if it crawls like a dog , then it is a dog . So far , I haven't seen anyone here put this card through it's paces like that . I think most 6600GT owners are happy , but if we got a bunch of bad results from certain systems , then we could perhaps narrow it down to a driver fix or update from either the motherboard maker , or Nvidia .

Dynamo

11. acme

acme Guest

You should change your nick name to "Dual Xeon Dude"... ;)

With my last card, a Radeon 8500, I spent 3 months trying every driver/BIOS/setting I could find. Performance was not very good, and my comp was crashing all the time... ATI got it right, eventually, and the 8500 stayed with me for more than 2 years.

But compared to that, my 6600GT is a dream!!!

12. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Well ,yes , for you it's a dream , for others it's a nightmare . My point is , again , that the drivers are not encompassing all potential systems the way they normally would when a card is released . Some hardware sites are refusing to test new products until the manufacturers release a mature driver set with the product , and rightfully so .

In the meantime we do video card beta-testing for the manufacturers . If you do as you have done , just buy an A64 system built around a popular MB , you're laughing , of course , but what about all those who have one of dozens of MB's which may not have been taken into account by the driver team , yet ?

My point in a nutshell : there were some bad XFX cards , there are still driver issues with certain systems and chipsets . Head over to the Nvidia forum to read about other 6600GT users dreams and nightmares .

Dynamo

13. amarios

amarios Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    Tested Aquamark3 and got the following scores:
    driver: 71.24
    CPU - 7697
    GPU - 7196
    SCORE: 49035 (49,04FPS)

Is that any good? I really thought that I'd score higher but.... (I only have 512MB RAM, maybe that's why?)

I'll try what u said about turning up AA/AF etc. on max, will post the results.

EDIT: I tried Aquamark3 with everything set to max (vsync off though) and got higher fps!: 52,62FPS!! That very weird!!! But that was with non-maskable AA quality setting 4......tried with 4xAA and got about 42fps....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  14. chile

chile Master Guru

GPU:
    P-Color HD5770
    only had my xfx for about 4 hrs but it runs fine so far...it's one of the newer ones...i get almost 19K in 3D01 and just over 8K in 3D03 at stock speed...my 5800 was just under 19K oc'd to 475/890...

15. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

OK , like I said , if you guys are really serious , at least submit your Aquamark3 scores to the ARC database , and then check it out from there . Ya , I know it's a bit of work to sign up , but just hit the "submit" button and your scores are online for you and others to check . It's very cool , and if you want to push your card , you can customise AM3 , if you purchase it .

I have the highest CPU score of any 3200 P4 ( I think only a 3.9 cryogen beats me) and my FPS score sucks !!! Check it out : http://tinyurl.com/4lee8 . You have to signup to view benchmarks but it really is worth it if you truly are even a little bit serious .

Dynamo

16. amarios

amarios Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    I've signed up and will post my scores soon, i just have some worries about the temperature on the card. It get up to 85 degrees celcius at load! and 50c idle! I'll try to put on some Artic Silver 5 to see if that helps...

17. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Great ! Listen , if you want some specific tips on these cards the place to go is the Nvidia forum . Really opened my eyes to what is going on with these cards . Did you know that you can re-activate the temp monitoring on cards which the manufacturers decided to turn off ? (gee ... I wonder why they did that ?)

Dynamo

18. amarios

amarios Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    I`ve had my temp-monitoring enabled all the time, I had to upgrade the bios anyways though because everything was totally screwed up when I bought the card. (Updated with a bios from XFX!!) But after that, everything has (almost) been a walk in the park. I've applied some AS5 on both the core and that PCIe-to-AGP thingy, so I hope the temperatures will drop at least 5c (10c would be great though) If it still wont be cool enough I guess I have to get a new cooler. Any suggestions besides that ugly thing from Zalman?

19. Dynamo

Dynamo Guest

Yes , I know your card features a functional temp monitoring device , but ... I only mentioned it because ... listen , like I've said more than once , if you are serious , head over to the Nvidia forum where your current question is answered , also about better cooling solutions than the Zalman (the Zalman is probably 3X better than the stock cooling anyway) .

OUT
    Dynamo

20. amarios

amarios Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970
    Sure, thanx for the help! =)