radeon 9800 xt hott hott

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by lOnGjOhN210, Feb 12, 2005.

1. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

Hello my radeon 9800 xt (256) mb, is running hot, I think.... when I boot it on its around... 50-60 C then after its idle warms up and I play a game or two its in the 85-90's??!? this is a stock radeon 9800 xt and I never messed with it alt all any help please thanks?
    system spec
    p4 3.4 ghz
    1 gig ram
    radeon 9800 xt
    80 gig hdd
    ABIT ic7 mobo
    480 watt psu

thanks..

2. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    WOAH! 85-90! Man, i have the same card as you, but i've never had a prob like that before. Anyway, the first thing that i would do, is open up the case and check that the fan on the card is spinning. If not, then that's ur prob. If its spinning, switch ur pc off and check your card for any dust blockages. I clean mine once every two months.

Also, when ur playing at those temps, do you notice artifacts (missing textures) and/or "white snow" (white pixels all over screen). If you dont then there's something wrong with the temperature diode thingy-its registering wierd readings, and ur card is fine. If u experience the things listed above, then ur card might be defective. I'm not an expert in this stuff so all u can do is wait for "DA GURUS" to help out.

Good luck man! ;)

3. Chibby

Chibby Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800pro 128MB @ 418|381
    get an ATI silencer 3 from arctic cooling (i think the #3 is for the 9800xt ...)

btw... heat the card up (a few runs of 3dmark) ... then tough the heatsink ... is it 90°C? --- if so, you'd burn your fingers ... but then you are sure it's too hot :p

4. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

No, it runs fine no missing particles, snow or anytinhg... maybe if I game for hours, I Lag some.. but not much

5. Jason_25

Jason_25 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6600 GT OC/17" HP CRT
    Sounds about right to me. My stock 9800 pro is so hot all the time I can't touch it. If your case cooling is better, obviously the card will run a little cooler.

6. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    Mine ran very hot with stock cooling too. That's why I got the Zalman Dual Heatpipe Solution. Cooled it off quite a bit.
    If you get the Zalman, make sure you get the fan too.
    Not only did it cool my card, it quited things down quite a bit too.

7. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    It's wierd that your card isnt artifacting at those temps, otherwise its one hell of a card to stand up to them. My guess would be its something wrong with the temperature diode on your card, but I'm not totally sure. Did you check that the fan is spinning and there are no blockages in the air ventilation of your GFXcard/PC?

And be careful, if those temps are true, don't play a lot, it'll melt your card probably.

8. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

Yeah, I think its a missreading.... cuz ive played with it like this for about 10 months..... cuz I can leave it off for a day or a night and i boot it on and its already at like 70C.....bs!

9. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    your 9800xt should get no hotter then 74c under load u definatly have a cooling problem. open up some space under your card if you have the room leave 2 slots open under your card, it can decrease temps 7-10 c.

10. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

under the card is already free I have a sound card on the bottom PCI slot but thats it..

11. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

If you have some arctic silver lying around, I'd take the card out, clean off any goo that is on the heatsink or gpu and apply a nice layer arctic silver, making sure that the gpu is making 100% contact with the heatsink. I suspect if you do that your temperatures will drop considerably.

Example, A friend of mine had a 5900xt that ran sometimes into the 90C range under load (3dmark03). We took his heatsink off, cleaned up the thermal paste that was on there (as little as there was), and all of a sudden it was peaking in the 70C range.

Later we modded it with an Athlon XP 1900+ heatsink and it was down into the 45C range.

Just a little story, but that goes to show that reapplying thermal paste on stock cards sometimes works wonders for the temps. Hope that helps and good luck.

12. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

yeah i got AS5 right besdie me.. im just nervous playing with that card.. lol

13. Chibby

Chibby Guest

GPU:
    if you remove the cooler ... get an arctic cooling ati silencer3 ...

but i don't think it's the cooler ... i think the sensor is faulty ...

have you already touched it? are your fingers burned?

14. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    As soon as you turn the comp and.. and you say you get those 70C reading.. touch the back of the board right where the core is and touch the heatsink surrounding the core.. see if it actually feels like 70C or not because that should burn your fingers. :)

15. Ehecu

Ehecu Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5750
    85-90 degrees and no artifacting after 10 months of use? No way can those temps be right. 9800 XT's are built pretty solid, but after that amount of time at those temps, I have no idea how you managed to avoid a complete meltdown.

If it's not giving you any trouble though, then it's got to be your diode, because those temps don't seem right.

Regardless, you could still use some extra cooling. Might want to look into one of these to take advantage of the free PCI slot you must have next to your card - http://www.xpcgear.com/vantecspefan.html
    Dual adjustable-speed 70mm fans all for your vid card... Ya, that should help your situation :D

16. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

yeah i can put my hand on its doesnt burn but it can get hott after a few seconds.. but thats about it

17. Chibby

Chibby Guest

GPU:
    it's not 90° ... for sure ... i burned my fingers on a cpu heatsink which was only 80°

18. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    So its definately the temperature diode. Is it possible to replace it, or buy another one somewhere?

19. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

maybe not real sure

20. lOnGjOhN210

lOnGjOhN210 Guest

well ive had my pc on a few days... just played CS source.. was gettin some artifacting not real bad just tiny dots said it was runnin at 102 C lol....