Virginia is a stupid state.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Gilbo, Feb 9, 2005.

1. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    This law is fine by me, no one wants to see your damn underwear. It doesn't make you look cool it makes you look like a freakin retard. I hope more states pass this law but with a higher fine.

2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Here's a little tidbit from the source:

"On Tuesday, he said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement."

Hold on here. I see far more WHITE folks dressing like that than black folks. Many of the black teens here do wear long shirts, but not long pants. Kids have dressed like that since the early 1990s (at least in Georgia), but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone turning this into a race issue.

My opinion here:
    I think that making this a law is just too much to try and solve a relatively minor problem compared to things like fraud, car theft, murder, and terrorism. Whether a conservative proposed the bill or not, this law is yet another way for the Virginia state government to collect money from the people and saying that this reason is legitamite. I think the kids' and teens' best interests would be better served like how Beren suggested: hand out educational pamphlets listing the reasons why dressing like that isn't a good idea. It's a safety issue much more than a decency issue. People who dress like that can't run very fast in an emergency. And by the way, I'm a conservative myself.

As for federalizing it: OH NO!!!! You wanna make it a federal crime for people to dress like that? Our federal government is already too big.

As far as my opinion of this fashion, well--it looks rediculous. Kids who dress like that often look like three-stage rockets with the first stage looking like it's about to come off--revealing undies of course. I don't like it, but they're not my kids.

3. mantra_sone

mantra_sone Cambodian

GPU:
    The virtue that possession
    Well standing from an economic point of view, this will affect how much money is circulated and the end result will lead to less money generated in the clothing industry. If a trend that has been set for some time halted, then there would be less jobs, but trends tend to pick up quickly anyways.

I don't support the style either, but I'm not too fond of anything clothes-related, and Marley's right; it is unconstitutional and just wouldn't work (think some dress codes in school and its reactions).

4. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I don't know about it being unconstitutional. It would be so if the Virginia state constitution forbids such laws regarding clothing.

One thing that our Federal constitution does say that the powers of the federal government shall be few and defined while the powers of the states shall be many and infinite.

If however, in enforcing this law, officers targeted only kids of just one particular race--then that would be considered discrimination, and that's illegal. Still, I have yet to see how this one is an attack on blacks, especially since CNN posted an example picture of a white person dressed like that.

Still, regardless of whether it is constitutional or not, this law is as retarded as the fashion itself. However, even more retarded laws have been passed in many states, and no one seems to keep up with or enforce them. I think that if it does get enforced, it will be enforced in areas with very little crime such that the cops don't have anything better to do than to track down "low riding wearers." High crime areas probably won't get any attention in that regard.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005

5. ss8541ss

ss8541ss Active Member

GPU:
    5870 ati x 2
    I made the comment about federal law...it was kinda a joke! I can't believe that tax payers in virginia didn't have a fit Real valuable legislative time well spent....NOT!

6. OwenLotts

OwenLotts Guest

I always understood the reason for wearing your pants like that was in solidarity with their "brothers" on the "inside" where as they weren't allowed belts. As they lost weight their trousers (pants) would slip down their waist. Those on the outside where showing respect to those doing time by dressing the same.

However as with all these things - the REAL reason will be lost in time.

7. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    If drug dealers all dressed so God Damned different, then who in the **** would mimic their style!? You wanna get booked for selling dope cause your pants are big? No. Obviously not. I want a serious example...not some "big pants are bad" rhetoric.

Look, you obviously don't get it. Then, or now, it doesn't matter....(and for the record I wasn't in diapers)...If you are trying to sell dope then it makes no sense for you to seperate yourself from the rest of the community. And if you did, how stupid would the average person have to be to dress like you? If you know that only dealers wear baggy pants, then why would you wear them? Unless you wanted the police to arrest you. Your logic is absolutely ridiculous, and your basis for supporting this law is completly unfounded.

I hope one day you will realize the error of your ways. I hope they make a law that makes your comb-over illegal.

8. dr jonz

dr jonz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x HIS Radeon 7970 Ghz
    btw, Virginia is a Commonwealth, not a state :p

that's not the only stupid law we have. You should take a look at vehicle laws and some of the local statutes here. It's illegal to use a different type of tire on your vehicle than what came on it from the factory. You cant have different rims, altered suspension, engine upgrades, window tinting, and a bunch of other crap. Cops dont really care about it unless they dont like you, then you get reemed.

9. dr jonz

dr jonz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x HIS Radeon 7970 Ghz
    # No animal may be hunted on Sunday with the exception of raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 AM.

# Not only is it illegal to have sex with the lights on, one may not have sex in any position other than missionary.

# You may not engage in business on Sundays, with the exception of almost every industry.

# If one is not married, it is illegal for him to have sexual relations.

# You may not have oral or anal sex.

# Driving while not wearing shoes is prohibited. (Which was repealed a few years ago)

# Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars.

# Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.

# It is illegal to tickle women.

# No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk. (Culpeper)

# A person of color may not be outside or within the city limits after 7 pm. (Dayton)

# Any person who owns a pool risks a $2500 fine for not closing the gate to the pool when they get done swimming in it. (Frederick)

# A special license is required for persons wishing to sell such items as tableware and coins. (Frederick)

# It is illegal to kick your wife out of bed. (Lebanon)

# Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated. (Norfolk)

# A man may face 60 days in jail for patting a woman's derriere. (Norfolk)

# Women must wear a corset after sundown and be in the company of male chaperone. (Norfolk)

# No person may keep a skunk as a pet. (Prince William County)

# It is illegal to cuss about another. (Prince William County)

# It is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for a coffee. (Richmond)

# It is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm. (Stafford County)

# If you are drunk and not driving your car, and the person who is driving the car is drunk as well, you may both receive DUI's. (Virginia Beach)

# It is illegal for a person to ride on the handlebars of a bike. (Virginia Beach)

# It is illegal to use profanity on Atlantic Avenue or the boardwalk. (Virginia Beach)

# It is also unlawful to drive by the same place within 30 minutes on Atlantic Avenue. (Virginia Beach)

gotta love my Commonwealth

10. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    You obviously have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Enough with your personal insults, and I don't have a combover :p. Your obvious assumptions about me looking like Opey show how foolish you are. You have no idea who I am or what I believe and support, yet you make these assumptions about me because I think these kids should pull their pants up and I give you a brief history lesson in how it started? Get real:rolleyes: I never said you were a dealer for wearing your pants that way. You may not have been in diapers, but you obviously were ****ting in your pants when the trend started. I lived through it and witnessed it first hand. That is how the trend started - not how it ended up. It started out just being baggy - then the pants got lower and lower :p. What is your beef? Because most of the dealers were "cool", people started mimicking their dress. Why? I have no idea other than foolishness and wanting to be accepted with the "cool" crowd. That is why they felt the need to make a law for this. They have been wanting to do this for a long while now. Get over it.

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    If they were to be chased by cops it would be hard for them to run away...

12. dukeman

dukeman Guest

i back this all the way. i really dont need to see your freaking underwear. plus you really do look stupid, wait 10 years and then look at a pic of yourself and you will laugh.

I also do not need to see fat chicks with their guts hanging out, i guess people dont look in the mirror anymore before they leave the house.

i thought this started when nigga's were in jail the jailers took thier belts so they could not be used to hang each other or use them as weapons. then when they returned to the street they kept the style as a badge of courage.

13. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Ok, I apologize for getting pissed and ranting in my last post. I was kinda drunk and I got mad for some reason. I don't know why. Except I still think you're full of it.

Why? because drug dealers just don't have that kind of clout. Drug dealers aren't that cool. Really, no one really knows or cares where the trend came from. It could be skateboard culture for all you know. If you ever look at old skate video's from the late 80's, and early 90's like the Plan B videos, you'll notice that all those guys wear huge pants way before it was cool.

Either way, it doesn't really matter where it came from. It's just a weird, weird law.

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    this is one of the most retarded, stupid, ridiculous laws i ever heard of! what kind of idiots would vote for such a dumb law! what is with this law? are there only 70 year olds in the Virginian gouvernmet?

and they say america is a free country and people's right are protected by the constitution and everyone has freedom, yeah riiiiiiigt....

15. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    That what I'm saying!

16. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    No problem :) I am not full of it though :p That is true too about the skate boarders.....they needed loose fitting pants to help them with the various stunts. No one should find fault with that though I feel. The reason I brought up the other was because this is the only logical basis they can have to get such a law passed. Simply saying you can't wear your pants like that is unconstitutional. They have no right. They have to have proof of some sort to back up their reasoning. For that reason I support it.....and the fact that last week at the gym one guy was working out with baggy shorts half way down his ass and when he sat down to do lat pulldowns, his sweaty drawers/crack were/was exposed :puke:

17. Zeresh

Zeresh Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 Pro
    The bill will have absolutely no effect on the clothing industry. First, it's a single state/commonwealth (not the entire country...or even the world). Secondly, the bill was passed in order to fine those who wear their pants' waist below their body waists (to such an extent that undergarments are visible).

Baggy fit clothing hasn't been outlawed, simply the distasteful practice of buying XXXXXXXXXXXL when you only wear a L and not getting a belt to compensate.
    -

To some other points, the 'low riding' style (as the article calls it) isn't a style that's been isolated by black men solely. It spans across any 'race' you can name, and it's a cross-gender trend.

I agree with the bill to some extent, and to others I disagree. People should be able to dress as they like, given their current environment. For instance, if the style of dress is an accepted style in an isolated area, then there is no reason to apply the fine. Clearly, however, if you're dressing like that in an area where the style is generally less accepted, you should know what a belt looks like and how to wear it.

:blunt:

18. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Actually, for skaters tight pants work good too. If you don't believe me then check this guy Jim Greco. He wears his **** skin tight and the dude is incredible. (If you can't tell, I used to skateboard when I was in high school.)

You got a point though. Who wouldn't love to slap a 50 dollar fine on that guy at the gym? Yea, I've seen him before too...he's everywhere.

Crack kills.

19. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Everywhere I've been where I see teenagers, I see many of them dressed like that no matter what socio-economic area I've been in.

20. Zeresh

Zeresh Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 Pro
    That's dandy, but is the style accepted or looked down upon in the separate areas? Or is it looked upon with a measure of indifference?

I've been in plenty of areas relatively high up on the socio-economic class food chain that have been outright accepting of the style. While I've been in areas that are bottom feeders on the same chain that spurn the style.

I suppose that's what will make this bill so hard to accept on some levels, because it's going to lead officers into seeing black and white on the issue. As opposed to viewing the style as it relates to the environment.

However, I'm sure it'll be enforced with the same 'fervor' as the jaywalking laws. That's not to say you won't see a -lot- of fines in the beginning. Besides, long shirts can cover the 'crime' easily enough for one to travel from home to destination.

:blunt: