6800 stuttering kill's me, any cure for me ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sobol, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i can't speak for NFU2, but FarCry does that to me and most others to ! i'll be at 100 fps one min and into the low 20's the next :( game engine flaw ...

2. KENNYB

KENNYB Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTX 648/1900
    I'm pretty sure that he means a pause. I also had the Far Cry pause every few seconds, but a driver/game update fixed that. It didnt fix the wide FPS drops though. Usually a slight pause happens during an autosave, but that may not apply to him since his pause his happening every couple of seconds. I'm pretty sure that he has already tested his raid performance, so have you tried putting your card into a different system?

3. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

You know Ive been having the same problem recently, but with a 9600XT. It was fine, I could play NFSU2 for hours at 1024x768 and one day it just started studdering so bad, I couldnt play. I tried all the things you tried. But I believe its a program I installed, but not sure which one(maybe, TrendMicro AntiVirus)

Its so annoying.

PS: where from Polska, you from?

4. xxkrnxstylezxx

xxkrnxstylezxx Member

GPU:
    BFG 7900GS
    I have this exactly same problem too. I tried most of the things except the latency, which I'll try right now. And mine seems to lag (other than the stuttering) more than it did in my old system (P4 2.8ghz). The only thing that helped is upgrading to 71.40 drivers for the graphics card. It still does it, but much less.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I also had a slight stuttering with FarCry but its now gone with a driver change. I went to XtremeG 67.66 modded drivers and its almost like I got a card upgrade.

But keep in mind if you have all the settings in FarCry to their highest, it can even cause difficulties with the top cards.

Heres a special tweak guide for FarCry that can solve a lot of issues:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Farcry_1.html

6. GOZ

GOZ Guest

Have the same prob with NFSU 2 a slight pause in the game
    tried diff drivers still there, tried the pci tool still there, I think that its the game loading the next part of the map I dunno.
    I posted about it and were not the only one with the prob,but if someone finds out how to fix please post it :)

7. Doomster

Doomster Master Guru

GPU:
    SapphireHD3850/AcerX263w
    What kind of monitor do you have...is it LCD or a CRT monitor and did you make sure that your system was stable @ default settings before overclocking your system?...Your videocard should operate at the factory setting of 1.50 Volts...not 1.4 V..and if you set it to 1.7 Volts, you are going to stress your GPU ....good luck...and my famous quote applies here....:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  8. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    Okeeeyyy

Is, as somebody before asked, the HDD light lit up "together" when the stutter occurs? If so it's harddrive-search problem.

I must also ask a "stupid" question,Is your floppy cable connected oki doki? because I have had this happen to me,,, I had a slow reaction to my HDD with stuttering and the problem was that my floppy cable was completly loose and my HDD was searching for it inbetween loads to find floppy.

Also, go to msconfig and hit the tab that reads Services then check the box below that reads: "Hide a all Microsoft services" and after that then uncheck everything that's checked in there.

Cleanup the same way in Startup under Msconfig.

Because skipping sound and fps is many,many times caused background programs still running.

Still, overheating can also be a cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

9. sobol

sobol Member

GPU:
    Winfast 6800 A400 TDH 128 16p/6v 350/750
    I understand now more nature of this stuttering.
    Its like skipping few frames, theyre totaly missing, its like jumping from one moment to another, and its take miliseconds, occurs more in dynamic action.

Kennyb: ive testes my raid , its very fine ( 85 mb/s read, 9ms access ).

ChubbyPenguin: i dont have any antivirus application, nor firewall enabled, including system one.

GOZ: my nfs2 does pause, and also skip frames/jump , frame drops.

Doomster: i got Nec FE991SB CRT , my system was stable with default setting, tested by prime95, memtest, sisoftsandra burn it, atitool + 3dmarks, i tried range of voltages from 1.4 to 1.7v.

Klave: i tried it with and without floppy , i thinked about same as you :). There about 5 entrys in my msconfig, i optimized services yesterday after fresh system instalation , not used services are disabled.

10. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Sobol - you say you don't have an antivirus installed. Just for the hell of it, I'd suggest grabbing a copy of one of the free AVs (Avast is good) + Adaware and Spybot and running them.

11. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    lol are you sure that the card is feeded by a molex connector(s) that are NOT connected to other devices? so just stand alone molex connectors really an ultra needs the power

GreetZ

12. sobol

sobol Member

GPU:
    Wasnt , it was shared with 2 hdds , but now its on separated one and still same, i also did tried now rising agp v to 1.8 and changeing agp speed bus to 80 mhz and forcing constance performance level in rivatuner. Guess what :) still same.
    I think its problem with card memory its like not enough to keep evrything , dunno why there wasnt such effect on R9800 with 128 mb. I think ill sell this card its unlocked to 16p/6v and mabe buy x800. Greetz and thanks for your help.

13. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

Wow, I see people with 6600s and 6800s are having the same problem as well as me. I was thinking of buying a 6600 because im so pissed off at this problem. But there is no point after reading these posts. I still havent fixed the problem. Dont know what to say.

14. Klave

Klave Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280
    Well,,,

ChubbyP

Read my config at the side here and I have no problem at all, whatsoever with anything in any game.
    My video drivers are for now 71.20.

My point is that there is allways something causing a problem, like when I had the stuttering, it was baaad in MOH Pacific Assault.
    I had tried everything with my problem ( I thought) and there was my darn DMA setting changed for some reason unknown for the Hardrive to PIO instead of Ultra DMA and I had not been messing around with it ( I have a PC repair diploma and there we learnt a 10 step "ladder" for error solution and you allways start with the user, not to "blame" the user, but the user is closest to the system and is more likely to cause a problem because you do the input most of the time)) .

As it look now the only cause for the problem I got with my stuttering was that something inside the game Masquerade Bloodlines messed it up because it started in conjunction with me playing that game:rolleyes:

So Sobol , just hang in there:D

15. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

ahhh bloodlines. The most fun game I've played in a while (ireally engaging) but what were they thinking when they released it? The programmers should have had their fingers cut off - perfomrance sucked for what it was!

16. sobol

sobol Member

GPU:
    Anyone know is it possible and how to turn off monitoring of temperatures/voltages in 6800 ?

17. FaM

FaM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2GB GTX 560
    Try altering your windows virtual memory settings to off\on\diff drive and see what happens.

18. sobol

sobol Member

GPU:
    Altering swap didnt helpt. I also tried Fresh instalation of Win 2K with only mobo drivers 5.03 version and forceware 71.25 , box was without any pci device.

By comination of all tweaks mentioned in this thread and in same thread created on xs i achived incredibly smooth in game like nfs2. But primal stutter still exist, and beacose rest is smooth i see it eaven more.

Its always in same places, ie on Url race with race 2,5 km in evry laps its freezes for milisecond in same places , for one lap it will be about 15 places. For me its like nvidia or its driver got problem with implementation of effective ussage of 128 mb on ram on their cards.

19. sobol

sobol Member

GPU:
    Ive analaysed it more, the "freezes" are in the moment when he draws new objects on far horizon , like bulding , or set of street lights , the bigger object its draws the longer miliseconds time it freezes. As i said its probably not effective memory usage. ( in sec ill check Far Cry )

Is there any option to change draw distance in nfs2 and check fps?

20. GOZ

GOZ Guest

Got the same prob in NFSU 2

its the game engine loading the map
    happens at full quaity or lowest settings
    Can it be a driver ??? I don't think so

[​IMG]