ATI Radeon 9800 w/ VGA Silencer not OC'ed running too hot?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by cmenke, Feb 4, 2005.

1. cmenke

cmenke Guest

Hi,

I have got a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro. The stock fan died about half a year after I bought it so I upgraded to an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3. The card has never been overclocked. The VGA Silencer is set to HIGH performance.
    Playing Half Life 2 and Counterstrike Source I am getting
    http://www.davion.de/glitch1.jpg
    and
    http://www.davion.de/glitch2.jpg
    after playing for roughly an hour straight.
    I assume the card is running too hot although the VGA Silencer should easily be able to keep it cool :(
    Is that at all possible? I have removed the computer's case by the way.

:/

Thanks for your advice,

cmenke

2. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    hmm, have u tried different drivers?

that might *possibly* be the problem

try the new ati drivers, 5.1 work great

3. cmenke

cmenke Guest

Yes, I have tried different drivers with little success. Right now I am running 6.14.10.6490 which is not the newest but not really old either - and as I said different drivers didn't fix it.

Version 5.1 ist just for the control panel, or am I missing something?

4. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    5.1 is a all-around driver

its for everything i belive.

is your VGA silencer on high or low? (If it switches)
    Did you remove the core Shim before putting the VGA Silencer on?
    What case / fan setup do you have?
    what are Ambient and case Temps?

5. cmenke

cmenke Guest

The VGA Silencer ist set to HIGH as stated in my first post.
    It wasn't installed by me but by someone who got a lot of money for it, so I assume it has been done in the right way :)
    There is no extra case fan in this machine; this crappy Mainboard (tm) does not have temperature sensors and the temperature in this room is around 21°C AFAIK (As Far As I Can Feel!).

My question actually was whether the screenshots in the first post look like a gfx card that is running too hot. As I don't know what it looks like when that happens.

6. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT @ 434/389
    Nope, it doesn't seem that it is running too hot. Usually a card being hot results in artifacts and other odd distortions, but this seems different. Though anything can happen nowadays..

Try the 5.1s.

7. cmenke

cmenke Guest

OK. I just hope it isn't broken.

8. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    Well, all in all, there is a way to see if your **** is running hot... basically, go get ATI tool and hit the scan for artifacts button. Let it run for like 20minutes or so, if it doesn't find any errors, I would highly doubt that heat would be a problem (which is a good thing).

9. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    IMO, that is not a overheating problem. If it's a 3d acceleration driver problem, then there are good chances that it would occur in ATITool's 3d view also and get detected as artifacts... not sure though. If it's a game issue then ATITool should clear it all up.

10. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    I didn't see anything wrong in the first picture but the second picture is definetly memory overheating. Try a set of memory ramsinks. They work as i managed to o/c further with them fitted about 10 mhz on the memory. By the way i have the same graphics card and can simulate the graphic glitch u have by going past 385 mhz memory overclock. Also think case fan, 120mm prefered.

11. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    Heat? HEAT!?!?!? You guy's don't know heat!

[​IMG]

12. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    Big deal you've got a screenshot of your gpu overclocked and showing glitches. This guys got memory overheating. The two give completely different graphical symptoms. By the way ur meant to be helping him along not wasting time. Know what i mean.

13. PsXDnS

PsXDnS Member

GPU:
    Well thanks for proving my case for me - you're an idiot! Don't tell me what I'm ment to do - just like I don't tell you that you're ment to kiss dirt (since your scottish). Thirdly, no. The card isn't overclocked, mr 200 IQ.

So no, I don't know what you mean. And if you think that a little white humor is bad in a situation then you have no right being on these forums.

14. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    calm down guys.

cmenke, if the problem didn't occur before your stock fan died, then the problem is obviously the installation of the silencer. i would take the hsf off and reinstall it yourself. make sure to use good thermal compound.

15. pantsmachine

pantsmachine Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 260gtx
    Don't get the kiss dirt reference,maybe its because i'm Scottish? Sorry i'm not geek enough to have ur card settings filed in my head. Once again maybe that's because i'm scottish. Right enough no sense of humour here either maybe that's because.......