New Card FINALLY delivered BFG 6800GT OC

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Trini, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    ^^ thanks

I will d/l tonite and see if I can figure it out (i am pretty smart)
    If not ... you WILL get a PM :D LOL

EDIT: Can't remembe which thread I asked in but will ask here too

Why are the scores so different in looks between 3DMark 01, 03 and 05 ?

What constitutes a good score in each of these versions.

Also ... where can I find a good list of what to shut down in msconfig ... or better yet, what do I absolutely have to leave running ... bah, it's been so long since I have cared about performance I forgot but with this new card, and faster system and nice games out to play I care again :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  2. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    I got a monster boost in games and in Benches after OC'ing. But would not suggest that on that terrible stock cooler BFG uses. Before i got my watercooling on the card i did have a NV5 that dropped load temps by 17C. And rember lower temps are more important than pretty lights lol :D

3. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    scores are diffrent because the newer the bench mark the more demanding it is on your GPU. So the older benches where made to really stress the older cards that at the time where like the hi end cards today :)

4. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    vett ya i realize lower temps are better then pretty lights ;)

So ... what is considered a 'good' score in 3DM05?

Also ... I am not planning on OC'ng this card anyway ... that's why i think the vantec should do me fine :)

5. vett95wLT4

vett95wLT4 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X8800 GTX Sli
    dont exaclty think u can say there is a decent 05 score as per say. There are alot of contributing factors. (Ram, Processor, oc's on proc. or vid card). For reference my stock GT would get around 4850 or so on my rig after tweaking 6200 w/o using lod bias. and almost 6400 using lod bias. (those are tweaks that Riva Tuner has BTW)
    But from 4850 to 6200 is a very noticebale gain. specially in Vampires since that game is a GPU hog, Great game but imho think it is due for a patch lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  6. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    ^^ Vampires, thus far is running okay for me ... and better with the new card (really REALLY slowed down when using disciplines including some sort of player aura with the old card) ... The temperature also stays lower then if i am playing HL2

As far as the scores ... okay that gives me a decent reference and parameter for a system run at stock ... thanks !!

Any good hints for msconfig and what I can shut down ? I have a dell system and am not ready to do a format at this time (no need really) Or better yet, and prolly easier ... what I need to leave running ? Edit: the reason for noting dell system is they are notories for loading in OEM junk ...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  7. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    Black Viper is the guru of XP tweaks, here's his linK:

http://www.blackviper.com/

However, be careful with some of these, in that they can disable some services that you may need for your personal use. There should be a section where he talks about msconfig and what you can prevent from start-up. I bought a high performance Dell in November and I was really annoyed with the Dell Support program running in the background. It took up alot of resources. But since I never owned a Dell, I couldn't figure out how to disable the program and just ended up uninstalling it in add/remove programs. My Dell now runs so smooooooooooth, it's like a totally different rig.

Hope this helps.............

8. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    m5
    ya i got rid of that first thru add/remove ... i did that with all the dell stuff

Thanks for the black viper link ... i will check that out tonite when I get home

No date tonite :D so I can do some stuff with my computer while I am cleaning and doing laundry LOL

I really appreciate the help ... it's cuz of forums like this and my gaming friends that I know so much about computers :)

9. m5taylor

m5taylor Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 285 SC Edition
    My pleasure, always glad to help a fellow Guru member.

But plz don't ask me to help you with your cleaning & laundry!

LOL

10. foxyred

foxyred Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800GT @ UT
    What kind of bad experience U had before ? lol :D
    ~cough...

11. foxyred

foxyred Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800GT @ UT

if u are running at core 400MHz and ram 1100MHz (UT standard) with your current system, you should have score of 4800 and above for your 3DMark 05.

if your card is able to score 5000 marks in 3DMark05, it is considered as a "good" score in 3DMark05

12. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    foxyred, thank you

That's what I am getting with stuff running in the background ... the 4800 above ... I will run it again for an "exact" score ...

At any rate; the slot card I ordered is coming on monday and will feel much better after I get that ..

Bottom line is a) HL2 looks really nice and runs really well (no gfx hitches) and b) i have a card which will get me thru for a while now :)

I have yet to pop in Doom 3 ... maybe this weekend :D

13. foxyred

foxyred Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 6800GT @ UT
    Yup, the 1st card that I am able to use 8xAA 8xAF @ 1024x768 and yet , the game is still running smoothly !

This card really meant it!

14. Trini

Trini Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 GT OC
    Okay I just checked the 36 page benchmark thread and saw what was up ...

I thought my score was low ... but it is typical it seems with a stock card/system.

:D

p.s. i just keep posting in here instead of starting new threads LOL