So you can play HL2 stutter free with a GF6800? ..Well tell us your mobo!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by okcpu, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Absolution

Absolution Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800 GTX
    ddrrr uhh title pls :)

no stuttering ever... had an old P4 2.0 gighz

now MSI Neo2 Platinum

never had to adjust anything, pci latency, fast writes, cool n quiet etc (or even drivers).

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum
    BFG 6800 Ultra oc

i ORIGINALLY had studder/pauses in HL2 and Farcry
    Fastwrites=off tended to fix them.
    i thought it was the mobo.
    searching the net i saw a lot of nforce3's with the problem of studder and pauses.
    i was sure it was nforce3.
    then i noticed the new intels had the same problem.

so...

randomly i decided to downclock my video card memory to 1000, down from 1100.
    problems went away, even with fastwrites=on.

i RMA'd the video card and got a new one.
    studder is gone.

turns out my neo2 was fine.

apparently the full-featured latest motherboards have problems with the early latest video cards.

nvidia and ati both were cranking up clock speeds like their brains had stopped working, just to beat each other in the benchmarks.

the early manufacturing probably couldn't handle it.

-scheherazade

3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Kind of off topic, but I have a MSI K8T Neo and I was wondering what the difference was between that, and the Platinum versions (K8N) you guys are talking about. Aside from the color :). I noticed there were more memory slots, and a different chipset, but there's gotta be more than that..right?

**Added**
    Hmm, after looking around I found it had 7.1 sound, whereas the K8T has 5.1. I just wish they would show more details for Hypertransport. It doesn't give any numbers for the K8T so I'm guessing that's one of the bigger differences?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  4. my system specs --------------->

Not a single stutter in game, pauses, sound problem or any of the disaster i read around this forum!!

NFORCE drivers are official 5.10 (without IDE from nvidia, using default WINXP), and NVIDIA 6800 is using 66.81 WHQL from FTP of nvidia ;)

HALF-LIFE 2 i play @ 1280x1024x32bit , no VSync, no Antialiasing , 16X Anisotropic, all details , textures and stuff are HIGH (including shadow).

I recorded a timedemo moments when a building collaps and mouse slow down a lot when the smoke appear , i got 48 FPS.

1 thing.....people and reviews always push saying NVIDIA 6800 GT is the way to go....but i gotta admit for a speed craving guy like me, the NVIDIA 6800 NU is really fast @ any game i play (1280x1024) with 4X anisotropic.

there ya go :D

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Never had the stutter problem :) RIG------------------------------------>

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Kinda surprised

I've only run the demo of HL2 & it defaulted to 800x600 - only option I changed was to turn on Pixel Shader 2.0 (or some option like that) & it seemed to run fine. Didnt really seem to stutter unless I was outside looking at a LOT of buildings. I know my system isnt close to top end anymore but both HL2 & Doom3 (both demo versions) at 800 & 1024 seem to run fine (default settings w/ PS2.0 enabled). I do have my drivers set to force Quincunx Antialiasing, everything else is Application Controlled. My system specs on right --->

7. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    Specs to the right------>

I had stutter problems with my old system ( asus a7n8x deluxe 2.0 and a athlon xp 3000+), and then when I upgraded I had a different probelms. I would get random freezes ever 4 or 5 secs in HL2, CS:S, 3DMark2001/2003/2005. After dealing with bios updates for my new mobo (even tried a beta one) there was no difference. So I down clocked my GRFX card to where it's at now(look at specs) and the stuttering is gone. I still don't understand why I can't overclock my GFX card to 420/1100 anymore (that's what it was at and it was stable), but I have to deal with it. My new cpu does help make up for the loss in clock speeds of my GFX card, but I wish I could set my speeds back to where they were.

Basically what I am trying to say is lower your clock speeds ofr your GFX card if you are overclocking. It helped me.

8. nEffect

nEffect Guest

K8T Neo is VIA chipset based mobo.

9. AMD64_Blacky

AMD64_Blacky Guest

lol...I had stutter problems, if i leave my FX5700 at standart GPU 400- Ram 500, then i tried to over lock, to 450-550, and HL2 and CS:S runs better, but sometimes stutter problems, and now i overlocked it to 475- 575 , and all stutter problems are gone.
    500-600, works greate to but i keep it at 475-575.

PS: i modifi... the GPU fan. i got the Arctic S. for the card !!!

10. Berkut

Berkut Guest

OKCPU
    It might be a mobo problem but from another point of view.
    Check your Dimms.
    My mobo has serius problem running 2 dimms of 3,3,3,8 . Only the presence of one dimm solved the problem or...degrading to 166 Mhz FSB with 2.5,3,3,7 timings.

I've already ordered 2 512 dimms at 2.5,3.3.7 to cope with it.

Check it out.It might be what you need. ;)

11. Epz

Epz Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GT (400/1100)
    -
    -
    -
    -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------>

12. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    A fellow Gainward gf6800 user. I wonder if this could be a card problem.

13. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    Ok so is it safe to say you blame the stuttering on your neo 2 mobo? In your situation the only thing you changed was your motherboard?

14. okcpu

okcpu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7950 GT
    Interesting. I wish i could return the card but the thought of trying to remember all the bits that came with the card and then finding those bits as well as the box / Manual just doesn't bear thinking about. If i could prove it was the card i would buy an ati card. If only life was that straight forward.

15. _BarrySWE_

_BarrySWE_ Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GT 256MB
    no stuttering at all with my epox.!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005

16. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    Just check my signature to the right of your screen.

17. kovboi

kovboi Master Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek HD4850
    I have an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe. My stuttering problems were due to fastwrites - I had them turned off in the BIOS, but had to use RivaTuner to force them off in windows. After that everything ran smooth.

18. johto

johto Member

GPU:
    MSI GF 6600GT 500/900@580/1080
    Ha! I can play HL2 stutter free even i only got 6600GT with Asus P4P800 :p

19. solidsnake313

solidsnake313 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Albatron GF9500 GT 1GB
    i had terrible stutters with my rig, but it all vanished after i set the sound and texture quality to medium, and now it runs like butter!

20. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    absolutely no studdering see my sig. and also same hardware with a DFI Lanparty UT and also a MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    also a Chaintech VNF3-250 with a 9800XT and crappy corsair valueram. and a 7200rpm 2meg ide drive.

fastwrites on or off dont make any difference for me.

ya know studdering has a butt load to do with what audio mode your running. along with the graphics settings. also changing the cache setting in the game config file.

studdering is typical of audio settings and certain graphics settings, not limited to FW. but FW has been one in the past that has fixed studdering for certain games.