Leadtek 6600 GT problems.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xeratule, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Xeratule

Xeratule Member

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600 GT 128mb
    After installing Intel's INF chipset drivers and rebooting, my computer gets a black screen, and my monitor looses signal right before Windows loads up to the user interface.

In order to get my card to work, I have to go into safe mode and roll back from Intel AGP to Microsoft PCI-to-PCI controller; however, I am unhappy that I have to run this video card in PCI mode because my performance would be better in AGP mode when playing games.

I have reformated and tried every single Forceware and Winfast drivers possible and none of them work in AGP mode. My motherboard is not defective because it runs my BFG Geforce FX 5500 OC in AGP mode like a charm.

I e-mailed Leadtek about this and hopefully they'll give me a BIOS upgrade or something to get this card working or else I'll have to RMA :(

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  2. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    Let me ask you a stupid question, did you try to uninstall nv drivers first, then install the inf then the nv driver?

3. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    indeed, this sounds like a driver issue.

do what tmehanna says, and if that doesn't work try a clean install of windows.

the card itself is probably fine.

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

lol

i've been one to just install a card without uninstalling drivers

didn't give me half the problems most people say a bout it

this sounds more like an i/o problem.

reset your bios and uninstall all drivers then reinstall to apply the new irq and dma settings required

5. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    HLH, I am not sure you read his original post through.

6. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    hmmm, ive got roughly the same mobo as you (yours pe mine g) and havent had any problems with the latest intel chipset.
    is it the one of guru3d?

7. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yes i read the post

black screen can be a result of system resource conflicts
    especially if the irq used on the 6600 is different to the one on the 5500

thats why im saying do a full sweep of drivers to reset everything

also

Try this

Remove Unused Devices

This is a bit more of a risky procedure, but it shouldn't be too difficult or dangerous if you follow the instructions here. If you have had several Catalysts installed on your system in the past, or even an Nvidia card installed previously on the same Windows install, not to mention any other previous items of hardware which you no longer use, then this tip lets you remove them from the registry.

To view unused devices in Device Manager, do the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt by going to Start>Run and typing "cmd" (without quotes). Once the MS DOS prompt is open, type the following lines, pressing return after each:

Set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Devmgmt.msc

Note, you can type "exit" (without quotes) in the MS DOS prompt window to close it at any time after this.

2. In the Device Manager window that opens, go to the View menu and select 'Show Hidden Devices' - this is very important if you want to see the unused devices. Now expand each of your devices and look through all the sub-components listed. You will see that some of the devices are shown in a lighter grey color.

3. For the purposes of this guide, what we need to look for are entries under the Monitor and Display Adapter devices. Under Monitor there should be one darker monitor entry for each monitor on your system. If there are any greyed out entries, you can remove them by right-clicking on the entry and selecting 'Uninstall'. Do this for all greyed out entries under the Monitor device.

4. Under the Display Adapter device, it is normal for most Radeons to have two entries - a main one, and another one which has '- Secondary' next to it. These just indicate that your graphics card is capable of two separate outputs to two different display devices. You should keep both of these. Do not attempt to uninstall the dark Secondary entry. You can however uninstall all other greyed out entries under the Display Adapter device list.

5. If you're feeling game, you can go through some of your other device entries and delete greyed out devices which you know for certain are no longer connected to your machine, or are traces of a device which has been moved around a few times. For example, under Human Interface Devices you may find multiple greyed out entries for a mouse which you may have moved from one port to another. As long as there is a solid entry for the device when it is still connected to your system, you can uninstall the greyed out ones.

6. A final word of warning - I do not recommend uninstalling devices which you are not sure about. Most importantly, do not uninstall any greyed out Microsoft (or other Codec) entries under the Sound, Video and Game Controller device, and be extremely careful about entries under the Non Plug and Play Drivers, and Network Adapters device list. If in doubt, do not uninstall a device.

If you do happen to uninstall a device which is still connected to your system, it's not the end of the world. Windows XP will usually re-detect it upon reboot and look for drivers to reinstall it. However I urge you to take caution with the above procedures and only do Steps 1 - 4 above if you have any doubts.

8. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    plus remember to do it in safe mode

9. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

not needed at all Asher

if the devices aren't connected then theres no safe mode needed

10. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    Certainly doesn't look like it, because the guy just said he did a clean windows install that didn't help his problem, so the Ph.D thesis you posted in kinda redundant.

11. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yes but the windows standard drivers tend to remain afterwards and they could be the problem

12. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    What are you talking about? The guy has an intel 865 mobo tried and tested for compatibility with the 6600 GT and he's installing a fresh copy of windows. All he has to do is make sure that his bios is set properly (caching/shadows off, AGP Aperture size to 256 MB, enable PnP OS if applicable and set irqs to auto), then install a fresh copy of windows, then intel inf drivers then NV drivers before any other drivers, in this particular order. If he has problems at this point he should check for a mobo bios update then test the card in another machine before RMAing it if necessary. Also in this particular order. It could well be the BR-2 bridge chip is faulty and cannot handle AGPxx speeds.

13. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yah yah yah whatever

im just trying to get all possible angles of why its not working

14. Xeratule

Xeratule Member

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600 GT 128mb
    Thanks to everyone who attempted to help me.

I've tried this card on a Matsonic Motherboard based on the 865PE board from a friend and it produced the same problem as well.

However, when trying it on an ECS VIA PT800, I was able to boot windows with their AGP controller driver, but my computer would freeze when opening Nvidia's Display, Internet Exploer, Dxdiag, or any game.

I ended up calling Leadtek customer support (It is very excellent btw), and they offered to replace it for me. I ended up RMAing the card to New Egg for a replacement instead since my 30 days has not expired yet. Hopefully, I'll have better luck my second time around. I'll tell you guys how it goes :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  15. A1200

A1200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800GT AGP
    @Xeratule:

I am very interested to hear how your new card is going to work. My Leadtek 6600GT AGP give me nothing but the headache.

I am also going to RMA my.

16. Xeratule

Xeratule Member

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600 GT 128mb
    I'll tell you how it goes... and hopfully I won't get another dud. :)

17. Xeratule

Xeratule Member

GPU:
    Leadtek A6600 GT 128mb
    I have just recieved my replacement and my problems are now solved. My old card was defective.

I can now run the card at AGP 8X with no problems. I logged into World of Warcraft for 5 minutes and everything seems great and no artifacts on the screen. I will test this card tonight to make sure that I am not having any crash problems.

All I can say is that if you are having problems with your 6600 GT AGP, just RMA it and save yourself a lot time. These cards have a high defective rate; thus don't spend 15 days replacing your motherboard three times to get the card working like I did.

18. A1200

A1200 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800GT AGP
    Nice to hear Xeratule!

Can you post something about how the GPU temp is in full load and idle ? And if you can compare the temps to your previous card.

EDIT:

Also my card has been confirmed to bee defective. I should get new one in couple of days.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005