CD-ROM and DVD-ROM not working

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JKidd5, Jan 12, 2005.

1. JKidd5

JKidd5 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    I am trying to help a friend of mine fix his computer. He has a Sony Vaio Desktop, with two drives, a Samsung CD-ROM SC-140C and a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R5002. Just a few days ago, he realized he could not burn cds, so he called me over to look at it. In the Device Manager, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver fro this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)."

First off, his computer was in really rough shape. It was very low on hard disk, tons of spam, and a few viruses. I ran Adaware, AVG Virus Scan, Windows Update, Disk Cleanup, and cleaned up his hard drive.

After all that (its still far from perfect), I tried fixing the drive problems. I first uninstalled/reinstalled the drives with no luck. I searched the web like crazy for drivers, but I keep finding the same answer: "These devices do not require any special drivers because windows should recognize them natively." I checked the Sony site, and his PC model number is even listed from Sony's driver updates.

I cannot do system restore because it was turned off.

Any idea how I can fix this?

2. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    you could try windows update site, see if it will replace the driver

3. JKidd5

JKidd5 Active Member

GPU:
    Tried that :) And yes, I did try it again at the end to manually install all updates, not just high priority ones.

And another thing....I actually found a few drivers and some firmware updates for these. I download them, and when running them, it says something like "The proper device was not found." I am 100% positive the model numbers matched too.

4. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    you could try right clicking on the drive in device manager and uninstalling it from xp and reboot,see if re registering it will do any good

5. Ben the Great

Ben the Great Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtech Winfast A400THD (Geforce6800NU @ 354/768)
    Or u could try the find new hardware wizard, or the update driver wizard.
    btw, are you sure the devices aren't broken?

6. JKidd5

JKidd5 Active Member

GPU:
    I've tried everything above. Windows recognizes the drives when I unistall/reinstall, but they appear with " ! " and it says the error message I first mentioned.

I guess its possible they are broke, but what are the odds of the CDROM and the DVDROM breaking at the same time? They still open and close too.

Thanks for trying guys, any other ideas?

7. Ben the Great

Ben the Great Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtech Winfast A400THD (Geforce6800NU @ 354/768)
    The problem could also lay with the hdd. Can you check it for errors. It could be that the driver for the drives was located at a bad sector on the drive and is therefore corrupted. If this is so and diskcheck couldn't fix the corrupt files, you could try to manually copy it to the system32 folder from the xp cd. Or maybe there is a problem with the ide cable or something...
    You can also try to switch who's master and who's slave...