Help ,low fps with an x800xt pe

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MrPhyX, Jan 6, 2005.

1. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1800 XT 512M GDDR3 PCI-E
    Need some help please,
    i am getting around 5800/6050 3d mark 05 scores but when i go to play UT 2004 or Far Cry i am getting anything from 75 down to 20 fps averaging around 35.
    It makes no difference if i change the in game settings or control panel settings ,i allways get the same low fps:(
    I have tried most the current drivers and a reformatt.
    There is no other problem with my pc except the Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Adapter would not install properly so i disabled it.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanx in advance.

2. Alkali

Alkali Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    The rest of the PC is bottlenecking the GFX card mate. I have the same problem.

The reason no setting changes make any difference is because the card is so powerful it can still do non-FSAA FPS's at 6xFSAA settings!!!

3. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    his PC isnt bottlenecking it much.

Make sure you turn Vsync off!

See if that helps.

4. Netcore

Netcore Master Guru

GPU:
    His Excalibur Radeon x800 Pro Iceq II-- 550/570
    Try doing a clean reformat again then install latest chipset,vide0,sound etc drivers then update to service pack 2 and then install farcry and launch it you should 100% get remarkable fps.If you dont then you got something messed up in bios,go there and load bios defaults.If this doesnt help then you got a hardware issue.
    p.s if you got good benchamrking scores and low fps in games i think it is a sound issue bu then again i might be wrong.

5. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    I discovered there was a scratch on the mobo so i have tried another one (asus K8N).I have done a complete clean installation of windows with sp2 and dx9.c all the latest chipset drivers and the catalys 4.12's.
    Unfortunatly there must be another problem as i am still only getting slightly higher framerate of around 45 average(but sometimes dropping to the 20) fps on UT2004.
    Surely i should get many more?
    I have tried with sound disabled so it cant be that,i have tried all settings like vsync on/off ,fast writes and nothing makes any difference ,
    Also it makes no difference if i use very low res like 800X600.
    I cannot figure this out at all.

6. Netcore

Netcore Master Guru

GPU:
  7. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    Yeah i have done aqll of the above and more,,
    I gonna give up for the night before before it sends me crazy:)
    I will have another go tommorrow afternoon.

8. Netcore

Netcore Master Guru

GPU:
    Then it is hardware related.I think.

9. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    I dont know if ATi has this, but is it throtleing down due to heat?!

10. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    I just upgraded my Asus AX800 Pro to a Connect 3D X800 XT PE and with a AMD Barton 3200 I was getting 107 FPS on HL2 Stress Test, with the X800 XT PE I was getting 111 FPS...(Bottle Necked I think)

So this tells me that the AMD 3200 was Bottle Necking my Graphics Card..

So Im not going to spend 499 Euros on a Graphics Card and not use it to its potential..So taking advice from the forums here at guru3D I upgraded my CPU and MOBO..

I bought a AMD 64 3500+ and a Asus A8V Deluxe Mother Board..

Half Life 2 Stress Test , I now get 135 FPS

With Settings set to high and ATI settings set to default..

For me Changing CPU etc etc worked..

Just an expensive one..

11. gobbles

gobbles Member Guru

GPU:
    x800 -> x800 xt pe 526/570
    j.rhy@n

kinda off topic...but that is really low , my x800pro, asus a8v deluxe and a64 3200 was getting 147 fps in the hl2 stress test...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  12. Alkali

Alkali Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    Dont go telling the guy he has a hardware problem - Its all relative. Obviously the card is fine because it scores well on 3DMark2005 (as does mine). Games like FarCry prove unreservedly that when AI or other events start happening FPS drops due to your CPU and Ram.

Talking specifically about UT2004 - IF you play ONS maps, they are always quite a lot lower in FPS than other types according to a post I read on another forum. If you change your settings to use max FSAA and AF your fps will remain constant because the card cant feed the graphics any faster than the rest of the system can process it.

Even an FX55 CPU struggles to give a powerful card like an X800XTPE enough oxygen to breathe - but its a lot faster than a 9800Pro. At the point in FarCry on the carrier, I get 15fps (no matter what settings I use FSAA/AF/lowres/highres), and its about 8fps on my old 9800Pro. The card helps a little in these cases, but it cant speed up the rest of the system.

To the guy who raised this issue - You will see exactly what I'm talking about if you use a game with an older engine (eg. Battlefield 1942) - where you can run @1600x1200 with 6xFSAA and 16xAF at 90FPS. This is because the graphics card can have a much bigger impact on the FPS.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  13. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    This one is pretty cut and dry buddy.

Netcore nailed it straight up, SOUND. Most new games now use 64 sounds, your onboard sound may not be producing them correctly or not at all. I had the very same issue with my rig, great scores and most games ran fine but some where just plain painful. So I dump the onboard sound, get a cheap 5.1 sound blaster live and then install the KX project driver. All is so sweat now it brings tears to my eyes.

I did not bother reading through all the other replies, so if anyone help you out with sound issues then I hope its all running great for you :):)

14. Darrin

Darrin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PX7800GTX @ 450/1250
    Oh, dont bother with SP2, it will proberly make things worse for ya. SP1 if fine ;)

Also your rig is more than enough to run your card at maxium levels. This stuff about the newer cards bottle necking is rubbish unless you have a 2 gig or less CPU running under a FSB of 800, then perhaps you will not see the FULL benifits of the better cards. As it stands you have a very high end rig.

15. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I own an fx-55 and believe you me no graphics card can slow it down not even the mighty x800xt pe. In fact the fx-55 will give an sli set up room to breath. your cpu is bottlenecking your card, x800xt pe 's are known for being cpu dependant.

16. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    I also had the X800 Pro and my Max FPS on HL2 Stress Test was 107 all settings on MAx... So I think you need to check your settings...

PS. Mine was stock.. I dont think your FPS is that much with settigns on full and no over clcoking....

17. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    I am not so sure it is the sound as i have tested both Far Cry and UT2004 with the sound disabled and got the same fps.I am not sure thats as good a test as using a different sound card though?
    Maybe i can borrow one to test later today.
    Even if the cpu was bottlenecking the card i still think i should get more than 30 fps on Far Cry with low settings ,i have even tried with all low in game settings and low res with no aa or af.

18. MrPhyX

MrPhyX Member

GPU:
    I have discovered that although i have a good 3dmarko5 score the cpu score is way below avarage so i geuss that i have a faulty cpu :(
    Now if i can find that warranty i should be smiling again.
    Thanks for the ideas anyways.

19. Alkali

Alkali Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    Update you motherboard BIOS then - and you may concider updating Chipset drivers too.

20. ninebreaker4

ninebreaker4 Active Member

GPU:
    2x GIGABYTE 7800GT's @stock
    of the topic BUT I CANT WAIT TO GET MY SAPPHIRE X800XT soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!