ppl with p4 2.4c, how far can u push ur proc

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by dzutrinh, Jan 4, 2005.

1. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

hi guys.

anybody used a p4 2.4c, how far can u ocz it with stock fan or air cooling? mine's top is 220x12, no further or my winxp will cause a memory dump even the cpu temp is just only 35C~36C reported in BIOS.

i think it was my mobo. i think i should replace it for an asus p4p800.

2. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    the 2.4c is a very good over clocker you could get .5 to 1 gig on air

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    The highest I have seen a 2.4C go was with RAM like yours and an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

With a Thermalright T-120 it got up to 3.7GHz, but it was Prime95 Stress Test stable only to about 3.6GHz.

That's the good side. On the down side, it ran at about 45C idle and maxed at over 60C....even with four 120mm fans (on in front and one on the side for intake, a blowhole and one rear for exhaust. Last I heard, the thing was still running, but he uses about 1.75 vCore, so that accounts for the heat.

The RAM is slowed down to like 3-5-5-10 2T, and my PC comes very close to his benchmarks with far less stress on the components as my Prescott runs at 3.0GHz with far tighter RAM timings.

Fact is, once Intel got their act together and reduced their CPU fab waste percentages enough, lots of 2.4C's started shipping with 3.0C cores that were set with reduced dividers in order to meet the demand for the slower proc.

Which is why the 2.4C is one of the best CPU's of all time for stability and overclocking!!

Good luck with yours. And BTW I second the P4P800. Try the SE if you want to save some dough and don't need integrated Firewire.

4. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

thanks fastvfr.
    i finally found out that my gigabyte ocing ability is quite bad. so i'm gonna sale it to someone and buy a new p4p800. my friend could push his 2.4c to 2.8 with just stock cooling on a p4p800.

5. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Yeah, a p4p800 is a great overclocking board.

My experience with Gigabyte boards has never been good. I think you will be doing yourself a favor on multiple levels by going with a p4p800, especially if you spring for the deluxe version.

6. Ivo

Ivo Active Member

GPU:
    6550m @ 735/975
    No let me share my expåriånce with the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe and the 2.4C Pentium with stock cooling ... I've put it at 3.0Ghz 250FSB rock stable over 12 hours prime95 ( I stoped it becouse there was'nt any reason to leave it :) ) at a 5:4 divider ( my ram is VALUE so I don want to rise her higher than 400Mhz DDR ) . The Cpu could go higher but I don't want to risk it with this "no name" Psu that i have ... :rolleyes:

Sandra memory bench :

Int : 4700
    Float : 4750

I'm not complaining ... I thought that this card was'nt able to run the new games well but when i Upgradet to the system I have now from a Duron 1300 and 256DDR333mhz Ram ... I did'nt see why to upgrade the gfx card It runs Doom 3 800X600 High ( w/o AF and AA ) pretty well ... FarCry at 800X600 High-Verryhigh ... Half Life 2 at 1024x768 Maxed with the DirectX 8.1 Path it run wit no problems when I applayd the DirectX 9.0 Path the game started to be quite unplayable but what can you expect from it :)
    This is in relation to the fact that the new system gave me a big performance boost :) But still a little Off topic :)

7. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

thanks for the info guys. i'm gonna replace my mobo with a p4p800 deluxe. i've heard alot of good thing about it.

8. eXperienced

eXperienced Guest

I have an Epox 4PDA3i with an i865PE chipset.I was able to clock my 2.66 GHz procesor to 3.1 GHz on 1.75 V but now i keep it on 3 GHz and 1.725V and it's running stable without problems.The temp goes up to 50 degress and i get about 4-7 % better results in Far Cry,DooM 3 and HL2

9. F!shyz0r

F!shyz0r Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT 128MB @ 560 / 1150
    ok.... i have a 2.4c precessor 2 but.... can only get 2.9ghz stable with 1.675v i am going to but new ram pc3200 twinmos 2x512 hope my results are going to be better with this... i could be my motherboard but... its made for overclocking i heard since its an albatron.

any suggestions?

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, OCed
    Fishy, you'd do a whole lot better with a 2.4C than with that 2.4B proc.

The reason for this (as I stated earlier in this thread) is that Intel was sometimes forced to use faster cores set with smaller multipliers to meet the market's demand for their slower 2.4 CPU's.

The same did not occur with the A or B series P4's, which run on a slower FSB.

So that's why some machines can run a 2.4"C" to 3.6GHz on air--that may be a 3.2C or even a 3.4C proc core in there!

Fishy, you'll have to get that new TwinMos RAM to see if your CPU can go further. And if it doesn't meet your needs, then less than $150 will get you a 2.4C processor online. I KNOW you'll get to 3GHz with that one, given that your board, ect. can take it there.

11. ninebreaker4

ninebreaker4 Active Member

GPU:
    2x GIGABYTE 7800GT's @stock
    what about th oc cappabilaties of a 2.8ghz p4

12. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

thanks adair, i'm gonna take the deluxe board. it's worth my money than my current 8ipe1000-g board. cant oc far with it.

13. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

got it finally for 127bucks. a p4p800-e deluxe :D :D thaks alot, guys.

14. Eric LaFrance

Eric LaFrance Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256meg
    I hate to say this but the P4P800 boards aren't great overclockers, they are fine but not the best. Do a droop mod than than you'll at least be doing yourself a favor... Droop mods are to maintain a stable voltage, when you use Asus probe, watch your windows voltage, run again and let Asus probe run still than you'll know what I'm talking about.

Oooh the Deluxe board, nice, very nice. I heard those are SWEET but if you have voltage problems, if you get that mod done you should be livin in sweet heavin.

15. Ivo

Ivo Active Member

GPU:
    6550m @ 735/975
    how is the "drop mod" done ? Becouse my voltage is going some time from 1.6 to 1.58-1.55 . Can that damage the CPU or shorten its life ?

16. dzutrinh

dzutrinh Guest

thanks for the info, it's very useful for me :p

17. Eric LaFrance

Eric LaFrance Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256meg
    If you are cranking the voltage it can damage the CPU overtime... the fluctuations I believe mostly make your computer a tad less stable. Since I did the droop mod my system seems to be more stable but for some reason my lowest voltage is now 1.6volts rather than 1.525volts.

Here are some of the mods:
    http://www.malvescorner.com/p4p800.html

I have a P4P800SE it worked for me... I fluctuate from 1.6-1.632... and of course 1.616volts is the average so it's a .03 volt flux verses as much as .1volts before the mod... before the mod I'd hit a high of 1.632volts at 1.55volts and a low of 1.535volts

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  18. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

There was no need to switch board. I too have the 8ipe1000

I had this board oc my proc up to 3.1 on 1.575 volts!! only

I ran my 2.4B at 2.91, with no voltage increase. I have been for the past 1.5 years. This is a great mobo and is just as good as the P4P800 (ive tried it) both boards are great. ALL you need is good high quality ram and your set.

P.S. Im using a Vantec Aeroflow HSF.

19. Eric LaFrance

Eric LaFrance Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256meg
    Your funny man, cause to maintain 1.575volts with my P4P800SE under load I had to run at 1.635volts and when running idiol the stupid thing ran at up to 1.684volts.

And to maintain 1.6volts under load I had to run at 1.668volts which idiols at 1.717volts, that's just dumb.

20. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

wtf's so funny??

I said I ran my Gigabyte mobo at 1.575 volt and I was able to boot into XP at 3.1.

when I tried to overclock my cuzins P4P800SE, I was able to boot into XP at 1.67 volts at 3.097 with stock HSF.

I never said I got 3 gigs at 1.575 from the p4p800??

So can you tell me why Im so funny?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2005