How to: Overclock Dell, Gateway, Compaq and other branded computers

Discussion in 'Links' started by qube, Nov 14, 2002.

1. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    but be aware the last time it was updated was nearly a year ago

i thought i read he wasnt doing this program anymore. but i might be wrong.

2. Scarey Lizzard

Scarey Lizzard Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X800 Pro
    Nice work!

I'll have to give this a try with my old gateway.

3. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    btw intel has their own desktop overclocking tool identicle to MSI's Core Center but since these systems arent intel bios's it might not let you use it.

give it a try

4. w0w

w0w Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 6600gt ~ 600/1000
    My friends got a pll number ics 952608. Do any of these programs support that cuz CPUFSB shows up to 7 and then skips 8

5. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    well if it skips over that number what does that tell you ????

there is only one other program out there that MIGHT work. and it only works by accident. meaning it wasnt made to work with the intel made 875 mobo;s but supposedly it does.

that program is clockgen
    google for clockgen and download it.
    make sure you dont grab the amd64 version.

i still cant believe this thread is going.

6. TR7man

TR7man Guest

I had a Dell Optiplex GX240 with a P4 2.0ghz cpu, which I did discover that Intel did make 2.8ghz and 3.0ghz 400mhz FSB cpu's for this mobo, but its PLL chip could not be overclocked with software, so I upgraded to an Optiplex GX260 mobo, with a P4 2.66ghz 533mhz FSB cpu, and was able to overclock it 5% to 2.9ghz with CPUFSB. I plan on upgrading to a P4 3.06ghz cpu with HyperThreading soon.

7. lol.. I've tried this before, but AZ31 wasn't in the list.

So, i'm searching around on google and find this... "AZ11, AZ31 and the OEM UWAVE boards use the same clock generator chip." Hmm, AZ11 is in the list. :)

I install CPUFSB, set everything up.. It works!!

Yeah, i have a question though. ..What could be limiting my box to 104.0 Mhz FSB? I'm leaning towards the RAM, cause I AM still using the stock/crappy compaq RAM (I know, i know..) , along with the PNY. The compaq is 128MB PC-100, and the PNY is 256MB PC-133. (PNY isn't the greatest either, i'm aware of that.)

I've also noticed there's a jumper on the motherboard to set 133. ..Although trying to boot with it set there, and using the PNY RAM only, it won't boot. ..Hmm

Thanks for any info/help. (Hopefully some of you still check this thread.)

8. HitMan47

HitMan47 Guest

My motherboard only supports processor speeds up to 2 Ghz. I have a 1.8 Ghz processor now, does this mean I can only oc the processor up to 2 Ghz, or is there some way to make it go higher?

9. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    hitman i bet you have one of the Pent 4 socket 423 cpu's ?
    Intel 850 chipset ?
    does it use RDRAM ? or DDR ?

if it uses DDR you can overclock it a bit MAYBE
    but if it uses rdram you will never overclock it, ,rdram dont handle any kind of overclock.

what motherboard is it.

honestly your best bet is to go to ebay and grab a mobo. if its the socket 423 motherboard you can get one for around 25 bucks or less. i got an asus mobo for 23 bucks a few years ago. worked really good to.

10. P4P1T0-BR

P4P1T0-BR Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB 640/1950/1600 Alph
    man i hate DELL inc.
    jesus... i just can't oc my p4...

11. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    thats what you get for buying pc's made by manufacturers like dell and gateway

all that money you spent you could have gotten 2x's as much computer or somthing faster and better.

dell gateway hp sony all those oem makers make **** computers,, sure they might have the latest hardware, but they are 100% stripped down motherboards and other hardware.

and besides you have an intel motherboard,,, you cant overclock those very easily anways.

one thing you can do although i dont recommend it.

find out EXACTLY what mobo you have then go the intels website and find that EXACT same intel mobo.
    download the latest bios and flash it into your dell.

if heard quite a few people say it works fine, although ive never tried it myself.....

then Intel has their own overclocking utility but it checks your bios,, if it dont see a real intel bios then it wont work.
    ie - if it see's a dell bios it wont work..

12. stengah

stengah Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6600GT AGP
    hmm v lestat i think the ppl is totally locked, so there is no way to overclock, i think the only way would be to get a new ppl.

however i didn't know you could flash the bios with another intel bios ... i think i can try.

do you know a way to detect the exact mobo ?

13. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    do you know a way to detect the exact mobo ?

yes look at it,, it will say what it is... or should or take the part number and look it up on dell's support site.

and i never said you COULD flash it with intel's bios, i said ive had people tell me, and one of them is a guy i currently work with, who flashed his dell with an intel bios and it worked fine.

in theory,,, it should work but you would have to use the "force flash" command, and i have no clue what that is.

your taking a HUGE HUGE risk by trying, if it fails,, you can just kiss that mobo goodbye.
    there are too ways to fail,,, it can fail without totally flashing and your original bios is left intact,,,
    or
    it can complete erase your old bios then flash and fail which would leave your motherboard DEAD!!

IF you decide to do it make damn sure you make a back up of your current bios. that way if it says it failed you just simply reflash the bios with your old one. and it should be fine.

and i assume by PPL you mean PLL ????

and yes they are locked via the bios,, or they may infact be write protected , meaning hardcoded into the PLL chip.

if you want to overclock that CPU i can only advise 1 thing

go to ebay or newegg or somewhere and find an MSI 865PE NEO2 FIS2R mobo. or the 875P mobo
    that is my old mobo and it is THE BEST friggin motherboard i have ever owned. the 865 i mean.
    my old 3.0ghz ES chip was able to overclock 950mhz with that mobo and good ram. but not everyones chip can do that.

that particular motherboard LOVES being overclocked.

i do not advice getting any other motherboard, especially NOT an asus,, screw that,, asus boards are crap.

i wish i could be more help, but if the guy who makes CPUFSB isnt supporting your PLL there is nothing anyone can do.
    its one of the big drawbacks that you have to deal with when you buy a computer made by the big companies.

14. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    Using this guide and others i've got my 4600i from 2.8GHz to a stable 3.1GHz using CPUFSB.
    My PLL was an ICS 952601 (which can't be overclocked)
    but after googling it i found i can overclock using the settings for ICS 952607 in CPUFSB.
    Got good performance increase :D

15. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    YOU CAN OVERCLOCK THIS MOBO

The pll is ICS 952601 but in cpu if you use the setting for ICS 952607 in CPUFSB it'll work fine!

I have overclocked mine from 2.8GHz to a stable 3.1GHz

If you need any help pm me.

16. V_LESTAT

V_LESTAT Maha Guru

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX280
    asher glad you found a pll config that worked.

now go to cpufsb website and email wolf or whatever his name is and let him know. cuz if he dont have it posted on his site, then it would be good to let him know how to overclock them.

the reason i keep sayin they cant is not only cuz podien dont support them, its just that oem people like gateway and dell typically lock their pll chips. but i havent had one of their since the intel 875P i cant speak for past that.
    i typically tell people not to since when you overclock typically you want to adjust your voltages also. and since you have to do that from the bios.... welll.. you get the idea.

let podien know what you did so he can post the work around. ive talked to him a few times, he'll post it if its a legit workaround.

17. AsherH

AsherH Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800
    No problem, will e-mail him now..

18. stengah

stengah Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 6600GT AGP
    I have tried with the ICS 952607, seems to work .. but in fact a few secondes after, my computer locks, i need to unplug the power chord to make it boot again.

I got a i875p dell mobo.

19. young2k4

young2k4 Guest

hey i was wounering if it is possible to oc my cpu but my pll is not on that list on the front page its "RTM 360-112R" or is there any different software that i can use to oc my cpu.

Thanks, Young

20. g400g400

g400g400 Guest

anyone know what's the PLL ic used on the Gateway Solo 9300 notebook. i am trying to OC this babe. also don't how to open up the notebook scare will spoilt it. or any ideas of PLL ic used by Gateway solo notebook?
    Thanks