X99 rig going under water eventually

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fantaskarsef, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Looks good man but i would of turned the bottom rad around the other way. You would have used less tubing, also going to monoblock first then rad then straight down to gpu would have meant much less distance for the water to travel which means less stress on the pump which means lower pump speed which means more quiet. :)

Still looks good though and well done, a good effort indeed!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmmm the way of running the water that way seams reasonable... pump - monoblock - top rad - gpus - bottom rad - fan controller it would be then? I culd do it, as I said, I've still got 1 meter of tubing left to toy with :D

I chose to place the bottom rad this way as the psu will be placed in front of the rad to the left side, and I was afraid I would not be able to figure out the tubing in that confined space. Maybe I'll try to run it like that and see how loud / fast I have to go with the pump, and change the rad's orientation if it makes sense, I didn't include the t-bit and the extra drainage for nothing :D

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You may to use a spring mounted clip In front of the psu, however you may not. Also that 90 degree elbow you may actually use when re-routing the tubing from rad back to pump. Just experiment and see......

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmm I already am giving it a thought, I'll let you know how I decide... I propably won't start leak testing today but tomorrow, as tomorrow's a holiday here and I'm off work, lots of time to watch my system in case it does leak :D

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Cut the tubing correctly so its flush, make sure you screw down the fittings properly. You shouldn't get any leaks. I leak test for about 10 mins max.
    Water is one of the softest substances known to mankind yet it can penetrate anything and can adapt to any shape whatsoever. If you have a leak you will know about it pretty fast.

All these people that leak test for hours, load of bollocks, you don't need too. Ive built lots of watercooled rigs over the years for other people and I've never had one come back with even a drip of water leaking.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    To be honest I redid the loop to turn the bottom rad around, tinkered a bit with the different fittings I had available, and managed to get it to work in regards of the fittings (angled ones) and the tubing. I indeed saved about 30cm / a foot of tubing, so it most likely works out in the end. Also, I saw a more tidy tube lining, which of course is a plus. Buidling this rig once again was starting to become a nice to do project again, really letting the spirits rise.

Well, on Friday I first filled my loop, was almost pooping my pants as the pump of course made strange noises due to small bubbles still in the loop, but over time (and tilting a bit), refilling, and letting the pump start to fill the loop and keeping it fed with water, things turned out pretty nice.

No visible air in the tubes, no strange noises, just enjoying the increadibly quiet pump. Let it ran for almost 36 hours, didn't get any leaks or troubles so far. Thought I was ready to put back in the PSU, and get it wired up, so I could finally let it roll.

Then I figured out, I couldn't fit it in anymore, because foolishly, I didn't put an angled fitting into the top (in) port of the bottom rad. So... I too had to take a small section of the tube apart. So I laid the system down to have not have to drain it all, and changed it. Now it works again, the PSU fitting inside easily, as well as those two connections, end even that little ball walve I built in for future complete draining.

The good part, again tested for a few hours now, no leaks. The PSU has it's place too, so now I only have to worry about that air that once again is in the loop... I did not nearly have to replace as much water as I took out with changing the loop again. I will continue to tilt a little to all four sides, and let it run overnight and probably until tomorrow evening.

I am worried, because beneath the bottom GPU I see about 5cm of air inside the tubing, and I don't really know how I should get that block of air out of the system... I could well fill the reservoir up to max (it's about 2/3 full now), but other than that I don't know what I could do to fill it up.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Air just takes time to get it out, over a course of a 3-5 days it should be out, you cant force it to go. A bit of air wont cause any problems.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I know it reduces over time, I'm just afraid that actually the GPU will run without proper water inside the block, so I don't really dare to put it to work.

What do you say, could I actually start to do windows install / firmware updates then?

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sometimes the air will move and sometimes it wont, depends on the loop and reservoir. Try pinching tubing, tilting rig all variety of angles, also how do you know that you do not have an Air pocket in one of your rads? You need to really hit all the angles, i had mine upside down to get all of the air out. To get the air fully out of mine i had to attach and extended piece of tubing to the reservoir fillport and pour water into it by also tilting the case at the same time and starting/stopping the pump. My res can be a pain tbh but i can get all the air out in 1 hr.

Also try varying pumps speed when case is at different angles, also turning the pump off especially when case is flat on floor can remove stubborn air pockets.

Next time i will go with a separate res and one of these.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...od_Top_-_POM_Version_BP-2D5TOPP-BK.html#blank

Makes bleeding abreeze, reports are all air out in around 15mins.

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Looks to be going well :)

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes.

There will be water flow regardless of an air pocket, you can game as well, Ive done this while waiting for air to go out.

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmmm I will do that then, do some more tilting, letting the case rest and pump a little on it's side to have the 'open' part of the case (with the window) as the top side. Probably even turning it upside down, because I expect that there's some air in the top rad, unfortunately.

If I ever happen to build another loop, I'd certainly do things different, like placing the res as the very topmost part, probably out of the case during filling and the like... it works now, but as you would expect, there's always new stuff to learn when you do it for the first time. Like ordering spare g1/4" fittings so I could really hook a tube up to the res :nerd:

Why is this dual pump res easier to bleed out the air? Because of sheer pressure from two pumps?

Well then I'll do the firmware updates, windows install, and probably a few basic programs during the next days.

Yeah well, finally some things come together, but as you can see, it's quite troublesome to get that nasty air out of the loop...

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I can run mine with dual pumps now if i wanted but its not needed, the water flys around on setting no 2.

I would still run mine on a single pump, no need for two even with the POM. Sometimes with a Bay res the the air entering gets sucked out again before it can flow to the top of the res and disperse. Depends on Pump speed and res design. Its not a major problem, just takes little longer to bleed. Still worth it though considering i will run for around 2 years before changing.

14. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Something I've learned with my setup that helps remove the air is adjusting the speed of the D5, such as reducing it to minimum then whacking it back to Max then back down again etc.. I've found this can help shift some of those air pockets in tight places before. Also tapping the tubing can help in the location, since with standard tubing you have a bit of "play" to move and wiggle it about.

Still it's all coming along nicely and is a great looking little setup. Should be proud :nerd:.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I might give it some consideration. But just like you and your current setup, I don't expect mine to really change until I get a new GPU / new GPUs, so this will be some miles down the road ;)

I've experimented with turning the pump off and on occasionally, it certainly does make a difference. I just can't really toy with the RPM speed, since the fan controller I've got does not have a screen but only works via USB, and the other two controllers I have are currently in use (gaming rig and HTPC).

Thanks, I tried to keep it simple looking, and thanks to the advice of the fellow gurus, I was able to find the easiest routing of tubes and am pretty happy with the looks too. If I toy around a little I could even bring in my initials into the tubing, but that's something I just noticed as I looked at the rig running before I went to bed late :nerd:

But I'm proud once it runs, just as I won't upgrade my sig rig until I'm really transitioning from X58 to X99 as the gaming platform.

Last edited: May 4, 2015

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So far, still no leaks. I've been running it almost non stop since I've put it together on Sunday. I've been tilting it 30 or so degrees in all directions, laid it down to the 'right side' (the side without the window) and let it run for a few hours... besides turning it upside down I feel I've done all I can to bleed the air out by moving the whole thing around.

I'm hesitant to put it upside down somehow, but I'm afraid I'll still have to do that, if I find time for it tomorrow.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, I've had the loop upside down, getting out quite some air again (for those relative amouts of course), on the side, tilting it, you name it. So I guess what air is still in there will either stay in there, or slowly be bled out over time. I will do some more tilting and hoping to change things a bit, but I've got little hope I can do anymore.

For what it's worth, I got the feeling the last air bubble is near the fan controller's tiny block, as it sounds like that, but due to loop construction I can't really change it without draining it again... and to be honest, I've got no sympathies for such an enterprise.
    If anybody got any advice on this, I'd be thankful to know.

I've gotten another question though... I'm using distilled water in there, plus Mayhem's biocide (couldn't get PT nuke), and with the biocide there came a few PH checker strips. So... it says my PH is too low. Will I get a serious problem out of this? Because I wouldn't know how to change the PH...

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No problems, doesnt really matter. Ive always used just distilled water + silver coil and never had any problems. I wouldnt worry about it.

As for your air, it will 90% of the time solve itself over a course of a week or two

19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's what I'm running currently, distilled water, silver coil, biocide. I'm not that fit with chemistry, and I wouldn't want to build myself a Galvanic cell ;)

20. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    This, I've found the last bit's of air will clear out by themselves by this point. It's mostly the initial air pockets you have to be concerned about but once it's been running a while the last few areas will clear.

You should be getting close to booting into Windows soon I reckon :)