Would my cpu hold back a new card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Shadowsoldier, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    I want a x800 But would my cpu hold back my card?

2.44 ghz

2. MonOrch

MonOrch Guest

Most likely to some extent. I think I have read stories on how even my computer holds back the X800 a little bit.

3. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Any new graphics card to date will experience CPU limitation with any CPU, even an AMD 64, some just more than others. But that 2.44GHz will give you quite a bit. If you can get that P4 to around 2.8GHZ, you should get much more performance. I guess that is where a lot of the CPU limitation gets cut out or something. Worked for me. :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  4. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    so in conclusion. If I got it it would run bad?

5. Sqeak

Sqeak Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI PE GTX670 2GB
    it would run great id do it u wont hold it back so much my setup is similar to yours and i can say it runs awesome....

6. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    CPU dependancy of games

CPU limitations often go unnoticed, because they usually only limit the lower resolutions.

For instance, when your CPU manages 100 FPS, this may limit the framerate in 640x480, but playability will not be affected, as you only need a minimum framerate of 25-40 fps, depending on the game you play.

Also, NVidia cards seem to be less CPU dependant, as I saw in a review where the GF6800GT did beat the X800XT on a 2,8 Ghz CPU, but not on a 3,6 Ghz CPU.

7. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    so its safe for me to get it?

8. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    yes it is safe,,it will hold back somewhat, but the improvement you will see will be well worth the upgrade. those that are seeing the bottle neck is more along the lines of benchmarking ... you may see someone with a faster system than yours getting more fps than you. but again, the differance is worth it...go for it, you will love it !!!!

9. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    It won't do any harm getting it. A properly configured 2.4GHz P4 will run any current game at a more than satisfactory framerate.

What a more powerful video card will do is allow you to run the game at a higher resolution / AA / Aniso before it becomes the bottleneck. So if you were limited to say 1024x768 before, you might be able to crank it up to 1280x960 and turn on a bit AA and Aniso for good measure if you had a faster card.

What a faster card won't do is increase the framerate at low resolutions without AA or Aniso, where the CPU is usually the limiting factor. But not many people delibrately play at 640x480 just to get very high framerates so its not important.

As someone else mentioned, ATI cards do seem to require a little more CPU power than nVidia ones so if you're happy to get either and are worried about your CPU speed, one of the 6800 series could be a better choice than an X800.

10. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    Yes, it will allow 1600x1200 with modest AA and AF in most games.

But I do have to say a GF6800GT will work even better in your system, unless you where planning on a X800XT PE.

11. I had a 2.0 before I purchased my 3.4 and it was bottleneckin like crazy. My performance was great, but I knew it could be a lot better. Now that I have upgraded my CPU my performance is 100 times better.

12. nexgen6

nexgen6 Guest

yes if your going to get a x800 you do need a good cpu to get the best performance out of it.

13. IGNITE

IGNITE Guest

I have my 2.4B at 3.0! runs much much better then the original 2.4. Just overclock it to around 3.00 and you'll be fine.

I hope you got at least 3200 DDR though.

14. PH8

PH8 Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS Excalibur IceQII X800XT Platinum Edition
    Grab one! I guarantee you won't regret it! Yeah, as stated, it will be held back a little, but the performance gain you'll see over your 9800 Pro will blow you away.

My CPU is only slightly quicker than yours but I don't regret my purchase of an X800.

If your going to get one, you'll be getting the X800 Pro, right? Make sure it's a VIVO model then flash it to an XT PE :D:D:D

Doom3 HighRes - away you go!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  15. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Alright. Ill be getting one this xmas. thanx guys.

16. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
    It's hard not to have a bottleneck in a system, there is always something to improve on;) . It's like fine tuning a performance engine, one thing effects another.

17. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    Soooooo. How do i oc a cpu. Hypothetically speaking. I have a intel 850 at 533 mhz. How would I do it.

18. Alo

Alo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9600XT
  19. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Guest

GPU:
    So u guys r SURE THAT THIS CARD WILL GET ME AMAZING PERFORMANCE WITH MY CPU?

20. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    I also believe my 2.4c is holding back my 9800Pro... ;) And im being serious...
    I mean the faster the CPU, the better the GPU will perform