WORKAROUND: Image Sharpening stuck at 4% or won't turn off.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by JacobKlein, Jan 31, 2007.

1. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

WORKAROUND: Image Sharpening won't turn off or stay below 4%.

WORKAROUND: Image Sharpening won't turn off or stay below 4%.

UPDATES:
    * Bug exists in (32-bit): 97.46, 100.54, 100.59, 100.64, 101.41_beta
    * Workaround works for all versions

Story:
    OK, so I installed the latest "official" nVidia Vista drivers for my 7800 GS... ForceWare 100.54's. I then played with some settings, including Image Sharpening.

Problem:
    After I enabled Image Sharpening, I decided I did not like it. So, I moved the slider to 0%, and hit apply. Text still looked sloppy, so I restarted the nVidia Control Panel, and it was set at 4%. I tried clicking the "Restore Defaults" button (oddly located way at the top)... hit apply, and had same problem.
    No matter what I tried with the nVidia Control Panel, I could not get it reset.

Workaround:
    After some diligent testing with Driver Cleaner Pro v1.5, and some registry sniffing, I have found the registry value that controls this value. To "reset" Image sharpening, here are the steps:
    • Do a registry search for VALUE "Sharpen".
    • Look for values looking like "00000001RMSharpen"... for instance "00010002RMSharpen"
    • Delete every instance you find.
    • Restart.
    • Post your results here.

Cause:
    Once the Image Sharpening value is non-zero, it cannot be reset to zero via the nVidia Control Panel.

Details:

00000001RMSharpen [REG_BINARY]
    At 004%: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    At 052%: 0b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    At 095%: 14 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    At 100%: 15 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

From the above data, it would appear that the coder wanted 16 differentiable settings for Image Sharpening. BUT, because this is binary, it becomes obvious that the 100% setting is 0x15 (21 in decimal), meaning that they're really getting 22 differentiable settings. This confuses their internal math, and breaks the Control Panel's slider.

Good luck. I'm sure this will help someone!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  2. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Besides numerous other problems I have the image sharpening stuck at 47% and cant shut it off.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  3. daniel_rh

daniel_rh Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900GT 256MB E-HD
    I'll give it a try

------------------------
    It works! thanks!! The Nvidia drivers really sucks at this point (poor Interface design, many broken features...) :pirate:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  4. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

This bug still exists in ForceWare v100.59.
    Fortunately, the workaround still works.

5. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

100.64's are affected.

6. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

The 101.41's (beta) ... are affected. Workaround works.

NVIDIA MODS/DEVS: You have the information here in this post to fix this problem! Please fix it!

7. illmatic

illmatic New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8400M GS
    JacobKlein, thanks a lot man, I had the same exact problem as you and it was driving me nuts.

Everything's back to normal now, your workaround worked like a charm.

Thanks

8. Astetix

Astetix New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D / Nvidia 7300 GT / 256
    Dude... I think I love you! ;)

I thought I'd be clever and fiddle with the CP settings. Little did I realise that it was gonna lock sharpening @ 4%. I've spent the last hour trying to sort this, then gave up and Googled!

Just to say that deleting the reg entries didn't work for me. I had to change all the values to zero manually - and then reboot.

You're a star! Thanks... :)

Paul (Astetix)

9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I've been having these same problems, but with the "Apply these to all video technologies" button, Gamma control, and Noise reduction.

Basically, "Apply these..." turns back on whenever I transition to another page within the control panel.

Gamma control makes a pink video whenever I save a change to anything in the CP and exit the CP. I bring it back to normal by clicking the "Apply these..." button before I leave the control panel (and yes "Apply these..." button turns itself back on afterwards).

The noise reduction will stay where I want at 33% setting (even after closing and opening the CP) until I play a video. Then it will be off when I open up the control panel again.

How is it that you, JacobKlein, can solve this type of problem so easily, yet nvidia has had this problem since 91.33? That's right two separate cards on two different computers and all driver version since then and I still have these issues where values will reset themselves (mostly with just the video settings - but not always).

I mean these issues aren't even in they're "open issues" section of the release notes.

nvidia :puke3:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  10. chriskurn

chriskurn Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SC
    Sticky?

11. Astetix

Astetix New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D / Nvidia 7300 GT / 256
    That's easy to answer. Nvidia are an overrated, bloated, money-grabbing hardware hacking development firm whose programmers have their heads rammed tightly up their own behinds.

Does that about cover it? I think so... ;)