Windows timer resolution tool in form of system service

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Mar 23, 2013.

1. nicolaj

nicolaj Guest

GPU:
    It's not that i think you're wrong in any way. Just some had reported it helped for them. But at this moment i can tell you it didn't change a thing for me. I'm just willing to try anything.

2. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    Hey gurus, can someone clear something up for me. On Windows 7 timer resolution sets it to 0.448 instead of 0.5, why is this? On Windows 10 it sets it to 0.5, but why not 0.448?

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Windows 7 has a rounding error.
    They are both still .5

4. Dumitru Ivanov

Dumitru Ivanov Guest

GPU:
    Windows 8 fixed that issue as far as I know.
    A far better version if you ask me. :)

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What issue?

6. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    I still use this in windows 10 creator update .

7. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Hello. Does this tool Fix the micro stuttering in games ? And does it change Windows 10 Configuration files ? or it will only take effect while the script is running ? I tried to mess around with it and wanted to make sure everything is return to the default windows settings. I use the tool from vvvv website. version 3.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    On my rig this tool fixed stuttering only in one game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
    Script is only needed one time - to compile the binary file of a service and to register it in system.
    This tool doesn`t change configuration files. While it is running system timer has maximum resolution (i.e. minimum period of 0.5 or 1.0 millisecond).
    I don`t understand what is "vvvv website. version 3".

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  10. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Sorry I was not very clear. vvvv is the website I downloaded the tool from. and the tool is version 3.

Is there a way to undo what this tool did ? when I initially tried to use the the default windows timer was 1.00009 I think. Next time I tried to use it, it was 15.654 something.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have not implemented 3rd version of this tool. You probably mean similar tool from some other programmer (I saw two or three).

But regardless of versions all of them do one thing: they call one specific API function which sets maximum for timer resolution. That maximum stays in place while tool is running. When process of tool is terminated Windows returns timer resolution to the value which was in place before that API function call. By default timer resolution is namely 15.smth milliseconds.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. Mostafa Hijazi

Mostafa Hijazi Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+ SLI
    Thanks mbk1969. Clear Now :)

13. David97

David97 Guest

GPU:
    amd r7 260x
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried to remove exe-file which came in the archive file before executing ps-script?

Upd: Also have you launched PowerShell as administrator?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  15. David97

David97 Guest

GPU:
    amd r7 260x
    /removed

Update: Got it working by updating C++ runtime, rebooted and it reports 0.499ms, its pretty useful, thanks. Btw should i re-install it just to be sure?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No need.
    So you were using first version made with C++, and I was answering about later versions made with C#.

17. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    Hello there.
    So this tool is still usable with latest versions of Windows 10?
    As I'd like to use the version that identifies the apps for which I'd like to have my speed changed, I imagine I should I use the second version, but on first post I see an installer for nobs and a lot of updates at end of post.
    As I don't understand how to install all this, I though the installer was ok, but the updates and external links have confused me.
    What to use for installing everything in Windows 10 last version?
    Thank you.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It should be.

Download this
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/by934opu8qox9wc/SetTimerResolutionService_v2.zip

and this
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/xl0c0r12470rff0/Install-STRService.ps1

extract both into the same folder then launch PowerShell as administrator, execute "Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted" and then execute "Install-STRService.ps1" (with full path).

19. PIRATA!

PIRATA! Guest

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA
    Thank you very much.

I have 3 questions:

Forst, as I'd like to place all these file in a definite folder path, should I first place them in my preferred path (lets say C:\Users\myusername\Documents\ for example, or even C:\Program Files\TimesResolutionService\ ), or as you say to place the content of both .zip files together, your script will install the files I've extracted from the SetTimerResolutionService_v2.zip archive into Windows system folders, meaning that i can freely execute everything from a dummy folder from wherever I like, even from Desktop?
    I'd like to just avoid doing all this from a random folder like my Desktop and then realize that I need to first place all those file in a secure folder first, then go and execute all the stuff.

Second thing, I have read here in the thread that I need to run the "Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted" if it is the first time I do such thing, but I don't know if I've done this on this particular machine, as I have executed some .ps1 scripts on some of my computers...but really dunno if this is one of them (lol)!
    If I have already done so in the past, is it ok to execute again the command "Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted" ??

Last thing, when you say to execute "Install-STRService.ps1" with full path, you mean to type in console all the full path, like "C:\Program Files\TimesResolutionService\Install-STRService.ps1" instead that typing simply "Install-STRService.ps1" even if I'm in that path??

Thank you.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can choose/create any folder but I would not suggest (1) the "Windows" folder, (2) "Program Files" folder and (3) the root folder. For example, you can create "C:\TimerResolution" or "C:\STR".
    Script doesn't copy anything to system folders. It only builds exe-file from cs-file (in the same folder), and then registers exe-file as system service.

By default PowerShell has restricted policy for the script execution. So to be able execute any scripts you should set less restrictive policy - just one time.

Yes. Either "C:\Folder\Install-STRService.ps1" - this is most universal usage, or ".\Install-STRService.ps1" - for that usage you should set the folder with a script as a current one (as you said - to be in that path).

PIRATA! likes this.