Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Then you can disable integrated GPU, at least to try. I have never heard of such configurations though. Usually iGPU is a primary one and is responsible for all displays. So that dGPU has to copy rendered frames to frame buffer of iGPU - thus creating huge delay.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Fire Tiger

Have you tried video drivers provided by DELL:
    Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_NYG6C_WIN_26.20.100.7262_A03.EXE
    nVIDIA-Graphics-Driver_THJ58_WIN_26.21.14.3203_A05.EXE
    ?

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i'd say also use basic atheros drivers without the software for the killer nic.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Fire Tiger

You can see the details of what is connected to what in Device Manager - just switch the view to "Devices by connection" (in menu "View").

Fire Tiger likes this.

5. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I had these initially but as they still experienced the high latency I updated both in an attempt to resolve.

In terms of Killer I have no software I download their 'driver only' package as the Killer software was a nightmare with its attempts at controlling the network. Any idea what Atheros drivers I can use and I can look to clean out the Killer drivers.

The below are the only two that share a port/device...

upload_2020-4-6_14-30-14.png

I think I probably just need to live with it. Would I experience the same clicks/pops if I use external speakers via USB do you think?

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You have not understood me. Check where the display is connected to - NVIDIA or Intel videocard.

I was not asking about IRQs.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    My apologies, I'm not sure I can find what you need. Below is the screen I think you are referring to?

upload_2020-4-6_14-52-11.png

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Expand "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System" and find there (somewhere - expand all nodes) NVIDIA and Intel videocards - you will see what card is responsible for the monitor.

In my rig:

[​IMG]

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I really appreciate your support and coming back to me, thanks.

I think I have found what you need....

upload_2020-4-7_14-52-36.png

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So it seems that NVIDIA is a primary videocard after all. It looks like Intel one can be disabled. Overall the less devices (and the less background services and apps) the more CPU resources for interrupts.

I would suggest to start your own troubleshooting thread - you should get more attention and may be from people who have same rigs.

PS Also be aware that any NVIDIA drivers installation reverts videocard back to legacy mode.

Fire Tiger likes this.

11. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Thanks for all your help and support :)

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Just be careful to not disable devices needed for boot - storage and (primary) video controllers.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  13. n1kobg

n1kobg Guest

GPU:
    GTX98Ti
    I have a question for you. In MSI Mode Utility. Can you set a higher value in Limit tab than whats in Max Limit? As far as Im concerned thats a hard cap and you cant change it even if you tweak it in Registry. What do u think? Can you increase the Max Limit. And what happens when you set a higher value in Limit tab than whats in Max Limit?

Nguyen Trong Tinh likes this.
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "Max limit" column get values from OS reports for each device - so developers of device defined that value. Column "limit" displays the value from registry value - you can enter there any value (of allowed range). But there is no sense in exceeding the hardcoded max limit. And once again (for tenth time) - device which does not use multiple MSIs ignores any limit value in registry. When device uses multiple MSIs you see multiple IRQs allocated for that device in Device Manager.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  15. Marctraider

Marctraider Member

GPU:
    670GTX
    Nice stuff here. My personal observations:

Manually installing Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1*basically any subversion* does not automatically enable MSI mode on 1809 LTSC (Could differ depending on which Realtek chip is used?). However on enabling I see a 10 fold reduction in execution time from HDAudBus. Never found any problems enabling it.

However enabling MSI mode on my 2080 Super is causing a noticeable increase in smoothing / latency each time I attempt to try it, In addition to a very minor decrease in throughput in both avg, low and high framerates in at least one benchmark I ran. (Ran multiple times, pre-cached in mem)

Really interested to see why its disabled on desktop cards but not Quadro's, either way I will use my senses and keep it at default ;-)

I'll see if i find time to measure whether its really latency or more of a smoothing effect, I guess both eventually result in the same. Maybe it's a thing in combo with G-sync or who knows, this mode is the most static and predictable and I prefer to use it (+vsync+in-game fps cap). Its great to compare difference of 'feeling' because you're not dealing with erratic behavior and is most deterministic.

Nvidia driver is a complex thing. To be honest, both AMD and Nvidia are in a race to deliver the best possible experience possible, using all sorts of tricks to squeeze the most possible performance out of their cards. (Goes for the latency department as well).

If having MSI enabled without emulated legacy interrupts would be so advantageous it would be really weird they haven't turned it on by default.

ps: Not observing any improvement in execution times or dpc latency either.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Support for Gen 1.x pcie controllers that have issues with MSIs

Marctraider likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Because this tweak is only about ISR part of interrupt.

18. shaolin95

shaolin95 Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX480 / XFX GTS250
    Hello guys,
    So I only have one item not on MSI called "HD Audio Enumerator Bus Driver" guess I better leave as is, right?
    Any consensus about moving the video card to High or leaving Undefined?
    Thanks

19. Gedza91

Gedza91 Member

GPU:
    Gtx 750 Ti 2GB
    I got question,if i try to install drivers from ">Intel RST AHCI/RAID Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 WHQL<" (over there i got setup app to start),i got error message "The hardrware does not meet minimum requirements for this software". And if i try to instal drivers manualy from ">64bit Intel RST AHCI/RAID Driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL<" i have to install them from Device Manager (manualy),so my question is,when i press Next to install i got warrning message. Should i continue with this or im selecting wrong drivers?

Attached Files:

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ICH7, 8 and 9 are removed from 11+

8 never had a Raid versions for some reason.

Code:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2929&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B29&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B2F&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 5 Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3B22&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106.DeviceDesc    = "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller"

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020