Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    They should be the same.

Here is resource with Realtek drivers https://github.com/alanfox2000/realtek-hda-release/releases/
    How old is our motherboard? If you have new motherboard you can try to install new UAD type of drivers from there - either generic or for your motherboard manufacturer and all with "UAD" in the name.
    If you have old motherboard then you can try to install old HDA type of drivers from there - generic ones with the names like this one "8874_FF00_PG474_Win10_RS3_RS4_RS5_19H1_Win7_WHQL.zip".

PS If you install new UAD type then you need to get Realtek control panel as an app from MS Store.

2. Ripan_

Ripan_ Member

GPU:
    980ti

I have Windows 7, asus v gene maximus. But since my mic jack rear sees that it is pluggen in it should work but it dont.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Then try HDA driver I linked.

4. ralphedison

ralphedison Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 970
    Hi, is it advised to just set the interrupt priority to undefined to just let Windows control it? Thanks.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you do not touch that setting - it will be the default state for all devices.

6. ralphedison

ralphedison Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 970
    Some of my devices are set to high on default like standard sata controllers and realtek network adapter. Do you recommend to set them as undefined and set my video card and usb device to high? Thank you very much.

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So far I'd say this affects games in a possitive manner, specially if you set the MSI on the GPU. Games and Windows generally feel a lot more fluid. But should I leave this on "Undefined" or some other settings? On the last 4 to 5 days some games felt really unstable and stuttery with the setting on High (I think that was the reason), leaving everything as default and just turning on the MSI mode seems to be the best way to get things running correctly. I guess this would be the way Windows set this mode depending on the computer, drivers, O.S, etc...

Anyway, here is how is set on my Windows, should I "tweak" anything?

https://imgur.com/a/XKA6uAH

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    leave them alone, data IO should always hold priority.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Don`t ask other people - test yourself. We do not have your exact rig.

High Definition Audio Controller on 22 IRQ can be switched to MSI mode too.

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Congrats you guys are famous 15:36

mbk1969 likes this.

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If anything it's the other way around, these forums have great google indexing. This thread alone almost has half a million views.
    I didn't watch the whole video, but I did see him mention (at 14:55) that disabling the HD audio and USB devices on 20 series increases your overclock thanks to bandwidth... I can't even. Where do people get these random ideas?
    I legit think it's just "Hmmm this makes sense in my head, so I'm gonna say it as if it's fact"

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah, the guy tries to give some useful tweaks and I think some are good, but others straight up are stupid or don't offer any extra FPS or computer speed at all or won't make any game smoother than it can be with Standby Memory fix and disabling HPET for example.

13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you have a Haswell or third gen Intel system, these drivers should give you the best performance under all circumstances, also being the more "balanced", in a way of saying it. My boot drive SSD it's already fast, this driver gives me a slightly faster boot time, around 5 seconds less. They are bit better than the standard Microsoft driver, I think it doesn't hurt to have them, anything where you can squeeze performance it's always good imo.

Here is the link: https://mega.nz/#!U0JXwQ6S!IAD-AZON6XYlYLdF35JjfE9yQTXj5aWlFr4VBB3USSA

14. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I usually set the limit to 512 and interrupt priority to high on my Vega 56 on a MSI B450 Tomahawk, I don't know if your Haswell chipset can handle these without problems though. I also feel the increased fluidity as I play Battlefield 1 and 5. I also force to enable x2apic in Windows (but it might already be enabled by default on my platform). A source of instability is the setting "Above 4G decoding / Cryptocurrency mining" in my BIOS - not only does the LAN chip not work anymore on newer Windows versions since August 2019, the gameplay also becomes stuttery. It took me quite a while before I found out about this as I thought that setting to be beneficial at first and enabled it (default is disabled).

Smough likes this.
  15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    In my case, leaving all MSI on "Undefined" gave me the best results, I think it's just better to leave it to Windows rather than forcing it to High.

ralphedison likes this.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I suspect that I found another possible mechanics behind the interrupt priorities (from "Windows Internals"):
    Either that or my initial thought about higher level if IRQL for interrupts (avoiding the preemption by interrupts with lower IRQL).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If I understand that then using a tool like Intel interrupt_affinity_policy_tool.msi to set devices to an affinity and then setting priority in your tool should work?

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I do not understand the question... Do you mean that both tools should work only together?

Interrupt_affinity_policy_tool can differ from quoted text because device driver can override the target of DPC both statically or dynamically, where Interrupt_affinity_policy_tool does it statically, IIRC.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I just discovered that on Win10 1909 Device Manager actually shows info about max MSI limit and supported modes - LinaBased, MSI, MSI-X:

[​IMG]
    that "00000007" value is the bit mask "1 or 2 or 4" = "LineBased or MSI or MSI-X".
    So when device has "00000003" that means "1 or 2" = "LineBased or MSI".
    And when device has "00000001" that means just "LineBased".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The way I read that info was the higher priority values work with a targeted IRQ to a specific processor, there talking driver setup/config but I figured using the affinity tool work too.
    I have tried higher priority on things like USB port and graphics but never noticed any difference.

Edit: on simular note, in power plans "interrupt steering settings" > interrupt steering mode , do you know what default covers?