Win10 2004: WDDM 2.7 Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 26, 2020.

1. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    I am not flaming I state facts. Do you believe, people haunted for year or years' time with unsolved bugs, will be happy knowing their gpus are legacy soon™ ?

I am an amd supporter wholeheartedly, but during my lifetime, it is an one way love relationship. We love amd for their cheap cpus and gpus. But I am thinking do they love us by providing more features, and when impossible then more performance than the competition? That's a double no. I'm so sorry. :)

End of off topic. They have room for improvements.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is always room for improvement and additional features. Back then when AMD introduced VSR, it did send signal with higher resolution to screen at that higher resolution which reduced achievable frequency and image quality depended on scaler in monitor itself.
    Now, I I do render 4K, and output it at 240Hz to my 240Hz screen because it is downscaled by GPU as it should have been from start. (They do learn. Slowly, but they do.)
    Important part about extra features is that you pay for product that does neither have them, nor promises them. (entitlement)

As for problems. Over years, I did not have same problems as many did on exactly same cards. Yet I could replicate them later by putting perfectly fine HW into sub optimal conditions. (Bad electric grid in other building, super cheap monitor cable.)

Expecting that "End of off topic." will not get you reply... It is not that I do disagree with your sentiment. Just that it often manifests as provocation that begs for unfavorable reply.

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Ideally we'd need an actual AMD engineer to say whether supporting this or that on X GPU is possible. Otherwise it's just throwing accusations around and we're coming nowhere.
    Same deal for Nvidia, is it actually that Maxwell just is unsuited for the Hardware GPU scheduling, or simply that Nvidia just considers it too much of an expense to add support for the feature on almost six years old parts?

Seeing that the GPUs that have gotten support for Hardware GPU scheduling have gotten a marginal improvement in some games, and some games being unnoticeable, I'm prepared to believe its benefits on the older architectures would be even less.

Nvidia users are also complaining that Kepler and even Maxwell have aged poorly for modern games compared to their GCN competitors. It's not all roses on the Nvidia side either.

That's also why I do occasionally check the GPU status support for Linux, where open source drivers can implement new features way after the support is ended on Windows. It's cool to see Ivy Bridge supporting Vulkan (they even considered bringing what was possible to Sandy Bridge but decided it wasn't worth it without compute shaders).

It's worth to note though that both AMD and Nvidia are still providing mainline driver support for seven years old GPUs. I wouldn't be surprised if either of them move some series to Legacy support shortly after Ampere and RDNA2 are out.
    There's even a hint in Microsoft's text about Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling being the beginning of more things to come.
    In the past, AMD tended to move GPUs to one year Legacy support already after four years.

4. biosdweller

biosdweller Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 8gb
    Nvidia is discarding Maxwell which is an architecture released in 2014 whereas Amd is dropping support for polaris which was released in 2016 and vega 2017++

5. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Wait, what?? Where and with what is AMD dropping support for Polaris and Vega?

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Claiming that any GPU is dropped because it lacks support for a specific new feature, which we don't know if it's possible or not possible on older architectures, is walking on thin ice.

If AMD had dropped support for any of those GPUs, they'd be stuck on WDDM 2.6 and Shader Model 6.4. Instead they got updated with WDDM 2.7 and Shader Model 6.5.

HD64G likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I'm 90% sure about it :p

srdjan1995, HD64G and DanielRX like this.
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Hm, so what happened? Is Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling available for Radeon users yet?
    Is it worth using?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    The Creator and DanielRX like this.
  9. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    It's supported and enabled with 21.2.1 or latest WU insider preview driver on Navi 1/2 on "Cobalt" Insider Preview.

It still can't be enabled in system settings/GUI - option is missing

Anyway, MS still doesn't finished Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling feature and benefits are "debatable"

10. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    And what about so advertised RDNA2 with the full support of DirectX 12_2? GPUz still detects 12_1 only. When my 6800XT will have full 12_2 support?

3000 series of NVidia already have it with the current build of Windows.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows doesn't support 12_2 yet.
    It's not finalized.

HD64G likes this.