Who's seriously considering leaving AMD for their next GPU purchase?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GrandMax, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Are you considering leaving AMD after this year's drivers issues.

1. Absolutely.

35 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. Probably

37 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Will see how the 7000 performs, first.

87 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No. Never going green.

44 vote(s)
    21.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    sorry for double post.

I am really disappointed with the lack of driver support for Skyrim. There is no excuse on this one. Even if I am able to play with one 5870, it shouldnt be like that.

2. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    amd is cheaper but with less suppport, nvidia cost a bit more but with much better support. For many games it doesnt matter, but for the ones that do Im glad I have an nvidia card in my desktop. Even when nvidia has issues they fix them promptly, and without breaking 10 other things.

3. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    I bought BF3 1 day after release, Quadfire 5970 4GB 900/1200 worked striate away upto 90% usage on all 4 GPUs.

4. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    I don't know what "this years driver issues" are. Haven't had them and have enjoyed my 6950's very much. I'll most likely go with a single 7970 when they are released. If Nvidia comes out with a nice card next year, I'll probablly try that too.

5. BeelBub

BeelBub Guest

Never again. First and last time.

I rushed to buy Skyrim on Friday, I was looking forward to it for years. Since buying it last week, I've only put in an hour or two..why? Because crossfire is broken. It shouldn't be this way. Never again.

6. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    I am pretty confident, but not certain that a lot of the times the usage of crossfire cards are mimicing each other (working the exact same) with no actualy benefit. Just duplicating each other with the output of a single card. Until they actually work in a crossfire profile. Lots of games without profiles do this for me.

7. Russ369

Russ369 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Ive never really had driver issues with regards to BSOD or w/e, just poor CrossFireX support with regards to waiting after a game has been released... I think im going to switch to a 7970 once it comes out and thats that... AMD is great for single GPU solutions, their driver team needs improvement however...

8. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    But this thread is not about standard user configurations, its about multi GPU and the poll should be about that.

Too many times i have seen users moan about multi GPU on a brand and when they which sides they go single GPU and say this brand is less trouble, even though its apples to oranges seeing as they went single GPU and not multi to multi.

When asked did you have issues when using single GPU on the brand they just left they say no. :3eyes:

9. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    That is very well said - although I see no actual end to this current age

10. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    I have been using 2560x1600 since 2006.
    1900xt CF 3870 CF, 3870 Tri, 3870 Quad, 5970 Quadfire. and there is no mimicking because i always notice when CF is not being used, there is no way a single 5870 can run that res at 60fps vsync with Ultra settings i have tested it by disabling CF, even a single 5970 could not hold it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

11. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    If people have a resolution that a single gpu can cope with then yes.

12. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    i was green for a lot of years , just because Nvidia has been around stronger than ATI for more time,but about a year ago i was gifted with a 6970 and that´s what i use now.

my point is i never had serious problems with either , they all performed flawlessly and all the problems i might had were related to OS and/or bad driver installs /uninstalls.

in a nut shell, most people problems ARE between the keyboard and the chair , they know nothing about what they are doing and expect things to "just work".
    that´s unreal , i have many many many hours of troubleshooting in my life and came to the conclusion the problem was originaly me, so i just learned how to fix it and how it works so i dont mess up next time around.

all people do nowadays is complain , no go to learn how things work or read instructions manuals , just complain , sad lazy times

13. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    For me it is and will be the same as ever, which is best price/performance and also noise related ;)
    Last 2 cards ATI/AMD before that an NVidia. All have problems and all are good. And if so many games work fine and a new game comes out and it doesn't, maybe the game developers should do better testing ;)

Haven't been unable to play any game at release, I just stick with the best single GPU card solutions as on both camps more than 1 GPU just equals issues.

14. Burgerlolz

Burgerlolz Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD6770m + Intel HD
    I've been having ATI's cards for the last 6 years, and I must say i'm seriously disapointed by their driver support these 2 last years, everytime a new game is released it's just a pain in the ass (forgive me the expression) to make it work properly when nVidia owners don't have that much problems. I always wanted to buy Crossfire and told myself "oh yeah gonna buy a second card when some stable and performing driver are released", i'm still waiting.
    So yeah, no more ATI for me in my next purchase.
    I now have a laptop with a 6770m with swtichable graphics support, AMD doesn't support these when nVidia does, so the only choice is between the ****ty OEM driver (actual version of OEM's is 8.630 haha, what a joke) or modded driver (Leshcat's is doing real good ones, but still, i'd like to be able to have "official" driver). I also saw that intel support was given with the driver Marthand leaked, I don't understand why they would give this support inside AMD's office and to developpers, but not to the public. That's a lack of consumer services , seriously it's total non-sense, they do it, but they don't release it.

15. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Most people have 1080p resolution. A 6950 or 570 is good enough.

16. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    Indeed.

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I have thought about it, but will have to see how the new cards fare first.
    I don't crossfire though and probably never will, so my driver issues are very few.

18. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Having been on both sides I can't really say either nvidia or amd have better drivers.

19. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    N3MBOT I followed much of the same road as you in terms of problem free Cards. My first paid for and installed card was green. After so little performance I bought my fist ATI card. Now I look forward for the new drivers and to this day havnt had nary a problem with any drivers install since 2005 ish. Ive built 3 $1000.+ rigs and all of them 100% flawless,w/(RED ones)."sorry for double post."

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.