Virgin Orbit tries to launch rocket from plane (without success)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems like a common thing but perhaps a bit more experience will improve how things go and there won't be any performance problems next time...quite fitting though for something called Virgin Orbit. :p

EDIT: Space anything does seem like a really entertaining field but I suppose it's going to be a long time before things go back to the old space race type of development of the 1960's let alone doing anything more than closer exploration or unmanned flights or discovery probes.
    Probably plenty of things to resolve here first before going back for another take on the moon, Mars and the the classic of launching probes at the planet with the funny name. Costly too and a ton of rare materials being required for even smaller scale operations.

EDIT: Think there was plans on hotels and orbital tourism, space elevators and all sorts of fun stuff at a point back in time too, just remembering a few things though but it's nice to see things aren't entirely on hold whatever this could lead to and that isn't some military weapons project again.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Space race lead to the moon just for politic propaganda (both USA and CCCP)...
    Where would we be right now if everyone have put ressource together, or at least without politic interest.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    We would have an international space station. Wait, we do have an international space station. Although China is not a part of it because back when it was built, China wasn't quite up to the task, I suppose. I guess you are correct about the politics getting in their way of joining now, much later. But then again, maybe they also wouldn't want to join anymore because the decommissioning of the old ISS is already a relevant topic.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    And yet, only a few short weeks ago, RB was asking for tax payers to give him 500million...yet, during that time burnt space fuel and bought another mobile network for 1,400 million...

I hope it crashes every time there is an unmanned attempt because whiny multi-millionaires do not deserve to go into space.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    ...To seek out new worlds. To boldly exploit where no man has exploited before.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Either that or to create the worlds most expensive glorified taxi and delivery service for the ISS.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Like Musk? :D

... like Space X? :D

But you guys are right, I don't necessarily have many emotions about this. Why should they not have their failures along the path to mastering this tech. As long as they only burn money and not people with their issues, I couldn't care less, progress will be made anyway.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Eh... although they're not wrong to say that a failure is to be expected from a first launch, that's also a really bad attitude to have, because it basically gives the engineers "permission" to be less certain of their work. Failure really ought to be treated as not-an-option, but even if all the simulations and math lines up, nobody should lose their jobs if a failure were to happen either.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Is Musk whiney?...a little bit...but I'm not a fan of Musk as people know, but that's a whole OT conversation.

fantaskarsef likes this.