Very weird problem with my 9600xt

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Diamond15, May 25, 2007.

1. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    Hello everyone, I had problems with my computer. It constantly crashed when i touched the case. Now it won't boot anymore. When i take out the radeon 9600 and put a riva tnt in it. The pc will boot again. I have a vga silencer 2 installed and some ramsinks. But on one side the ramsinks touches the cooler on the alluminium. Can this be the problem? If so, what is the best way to take them of? If not, then what is the problem? Buying a new graphics card is not an option at the moment. Thanks in advance.

2. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Sounds like static discharge may have damaged a memory chip on your vidcard. Static discharge causing computer to shut down when one touches the case is relatively common and usually harmless but if you had a chip in direct contact with a highly conductive component it may have killed it. If that is the case your card is kaput I'm afraid. Happened to my 9800 Pro some years ago and I had to lay it to rest :(

3. Diamond15

Diamond15 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 1900XT 512mb
    Thanks for the quick reply. It could be that the card is broken now. But i want to try one more thing. I want to take off the ramsinks to see if it will fix my problem. Maby the card isn't damaged permanently, although it could be.

Do you know a way to take them off safely?

EDIT: I didn't use anything special to mount the ramsinks. It was a layer that i had to remove from the bottom of the sinks and then mount it on the rammodules. Something like thermal paste pre-applied to the sinks but then sticky.

Last edited: May 25, 2007