Vaccum cleaning for computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saifz, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    Not sure if this belongs here but regardless

Anyways, was wondering if i can use my vaccum cleaner to clean the inside of my computer? There is a plastic attachment that can be attached to the hose.
    its something like this

[​IMG]

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I have heard before not to do it because of static, quick google confirms that.

Just clean it manually, wipe it with cloths, your fingers, and something thin, precision screwdriver to pick out bits.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    can of compressed air works wonders, just make sure you do it outside or some place with good ventilation, otherwise it's basically like pissing in the wind.

4. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    yeah the traveling at high speed through a plastic vacuum hose can create a lot of static electricity which can fry components. If you're careful, you can use compressed air to blow the dust out of the components and the vacuum nearby just to suck up the dust cloud. Just taking it outside is usually easier though.

Or get a case with washable filters. You'll still get dust inside the case, but far less, and the filters are easy to rinse in the sink.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Bad plan. I've heard of people destroying parts and fans using this method. It's easy to do it, and you won't know you've done it until you try to turn it back on one day and it just doesn't.

Some people will probably come around and say that they've been doing it for years without problems, and all I can say is that its dangerous to do. If they've done it for a while, fine, but dangerous things tend to catch up with you.

6. Demigod001

Demigod001 Member

Depends how you do it, as with all things tbh. You can do it safely but DONT put the tube withing 2 inches (about 5cm) of any parts, use a small soft brush to dislodge any dust and the vacuum will suck it up (a makup brush is great for this but it as your fight if you use your partners lol)
    If you cant get compressed air easily/cheaply you can use a vacuum just be careful and dont use it for extended periods.
    Always make sure you or at least your computer is grounded, leave the power cable in just turn the supply off.

better yet see if you can get a camera vacuum, I have one that sucks and blows, quite useful little thing.

7. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
  8. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    I've yet to fry a clients PC using a shop-vac to clean the dust gremlins out of them. Just be careful and discharge yourself before coming in contact with the PC.

9. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    lol, one of these cowboy stores you hear about all the time i guess ;)

I own a computer store, i use nothing but compressed air for the reasons already stated in the topic.

10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Better put a ring on it. :)

11. GandraZz

GandraZz Guest

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
    Aren't most vacuum cleaners made with anti static plastic? I use vacuum cleaners to clean pc's 5 years and did't broke anything.

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I’ve been using 3M vacuums that are specifically designed for this purpose for 10 years at work, cleaned switches, servers, pc’s, etc... I wouldn’t use a regular household vacuum on my own systems though.

13. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Yea a Cowboy store that other shops come to or send to when they cannot fix a PC hardware/software issue o_O

Spraying a little Static Guard once a week on the vacuum hose and attachments keeps the static at bay :p

NOTE: Do not use a vacuum to clean a PC while it is ON!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    What about cleaning your pc with a duster? would this cause any damage?