Top Gear thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by morbias, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    This is true, and I enjoy watching the content he's part of.

...Can't say the same about Hammond, I've gave him a few chances but dislike his work outside of Top Gear. Clarkson will always get by nature of being Clarkson.

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Problem with Clarkson is a it of tall poppy syndrome. If you're known to be a genuinely good bloke, it's commonplace for people around you to start taking advantage of you. That doesn't happen with Clarkson! Of course, there is the fine line between between being enough of a bastard to get sh1t done, but at the same time also exhibit favourable social graces. Maybe he could have avoided this by having a different on-air personality, but then neither he, nor Top Gear, would be the success they are today. It's also the ability to switch off once off-air, which after so many year wouldn't be easy. Also, despite what it looks like on TV, they would be under immense pressure, and sleep deprivation wouldn't help as people become naturally craggy.

I'm not making excuses for the actions, just pointing out how things are in reality. BBC could fire him, but that would effectively be the end of Top Gear, and people would boycott the BBC. After not watching the BBC for several months even if people are over the boycott the damage is already done, and they may not think it's worth going back to watch anything else.

BBC would probably just insist he attend a group or psychiatrist or something. He won't think it will do any good, but it will probably just be enough to reduce the likelihood of future occurrences.

Hammond and James May don't have to do this, they don't have the same problem.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    IMO May is just as annoying, if not more than the other two, p1ssing about with his pre-flight checks, swearing blind he knows where he's going and every time going the wrong way by 'accident', boring the hind legs off a donkey with his year long war stories, thinking he is above the other two intelligence wise but being just as wrong each time

The three of them should just create a new "The Three Stooges" movie

They even look similar

[​IMG]

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It looks like the rest of the season is cancelled. Something we've overlooked is the contract agreements with international broadcasters. The BBC responded with:

They must be absolutely incredible, awe-inspiring episodes, with excitement to a level so extreme it wasn't suitable for broadcast previously ;).

I doubt whether Top Gear could recover. If Clarkson does come back, they'll probably neuter the show.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Okay not sure about the source but when you have high end people inside the BBC saying stuff as stupid as this

http://www.******ail.co.uk/news/art...ior-BBC-boss-claims-Clarkson-like-Savile.html

The BBC has mis handled this case in just about EVERY single way possible, from pulling the shows last three episodes, thus punishing it's fee paying fans right through to monstrously stupid comments like this.

I am shocked that we have to pay these f*cking cretins and I can only hope that if this truly 'is' on a level (ps it isn't it's not even f*cking close) to Jimmy Saville cover up it will be the final push we need to get rid of public funding for this 'service'.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I would quite happily lose BBC if it meant not having to pay the license fee, I literally never ever watch BBC, if I watch TG, it's on Dave, there is nothing on BBC that I would miss

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    VERY true.

Their comedies of old were simply amazing.

Only fools and horses, fawlty towers, monty python, ab fab, keeping up appearances, bottom, young ones, allo allo, blackadder, red dwarf....

the list continues....

But now they are focused on competing with ITV with The Voice, Through the stupid hole, strickly come dancing, and worst of all eastenders.

Literally the only thing I watch on BBC is Top Gear they are going to loose A LOT of money if they actually fire Clarkson.

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I know quite a few people up here in Glasgow that already have done away with watching or recording live tv, saved themselves £150 a year and can happily watch everything on demand, and it seem this has been happening for some time now up and down the UK, with the whole Savile thing only adding to the fact that people simply no longer wish to fund what they see is a corrupt and untrustworthy BBC, so it is no wonder the BBC of late are trying to push the licence fee into some mandatory tax bracket so no matter if you require one or not, you will have to pay for it.

I mean can you imagine the state of the UK without a public funded BBC, how would us poor Uk'er manage our daily lives without the BBC. lol

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well i bought the season for TG on itunes and they arent releasing them, apple and others im sure will be all over BBC

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I've thought about that, but you are required to pay for a license if you own anything that can receive a live TV signal, and I don't want to get rid of my flat screen as I use it to watch stuff Ive downloaded - it's pretty ridiculous, even if you own no TV, if you own anything like a VCR/DVR, you still need a license

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You can have 1000 devices in your home and on your person that are capable of receving a live tv signal, but you are only required to buy a tv licence if you watch or record live Tv broadcasts, all there on the back of your licence.

We have been talking about it for a while now and i think we are going to ditch the Tv licence when it is due, we no longer watch anything that is broadcast live and have not recored a TV show since the Video recorded bought the farm, and that was many moons ago........my brother has already done this, he has not watched live tv for a good year now and instead puts the licence fee towards netflix, said it is the best thing he has ever done as why pay £150 a year for **** when you can pay £150 a year and watch when and what you want.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep, just don't have an aerial attached to your house or tv and it's fine.

You also don't need to let the inspection officers into your property, but as to if they actually do anything other than send threatening letters is another question.

13. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I'm in the U.S., and BBC America was recently dropped for me, and now we pay more anyways, even though dropping it was to save us money supposedly. I dropped my cable, so no more Top Gear on TV for me. I guess I'll find another way.

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Do you know the facts 100% on the Clarkson drama?

The Queen IS ABOVE the law, as the law is in theory carrying out justice on her behalf. This is for the purposes of exercising her duty as Sovereign.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  15. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeah, the BBC have been pushing to close that loop hole for a whle now, there only problem is they can only close it for iplayer, so you would still not require a licence for using your Tv for on-demand from netflix or lovefilm, and unless the other on-demand services like CH4/5 and ITV get a slice of the licence fee then you would still be able to use them as well, although i would have to ask why would anybody want to. lol

But it really is time the BBC went it alone, time to cut the apron strings from tax payer, i mean it is not like the BBC output could get any worse right, they are right up there shoulder to shoulder with the commercial channels in producing 99% utter guff on a daily basis, so they are already well on their way to being a commercial channel. lol

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Here's an interview with Clarkson's waiter at the time:

LINK

Rather illuminating

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Watching now..