Thief 4 First Screenshot

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, I've put about 4 hours into it... and haven't even started the second story mission.
    Been wondering around, doing side missions... and sneaking through any open homes/businesses I can.

So far I'm really, really enjoying it. The stealth is fantastic. And the game itself looks great.
    Though, it's not without it's issues. Some stuff hopefully a new driver from Nvidia can help with, others a patch could fix.
    Mostly, I've noticed that even though my display tells me I'm getting 50FPS... while in the city it feels like is stutters when I turn, and at times as if there is a bit of lag on the mouse.
    Inside buildings... FPS are above 70. And found that turning ON Exclusive Fullscreen improved my framerate a lot.
    Also, I disabled the in game FXAA (as it looked awful) and forced it on through my GPU control panel.

Other little issues have been sound related, playing a line of dialog twice... at the same time. NPC dialog sounding muffled when they are right in front of you, but then it sounds full volume when they are in another room.
    And, the game just crashed when trying to load a save game in the Bank Heist.

But, overall, I'm having a blast and I'm glad that I, one, ignored those blasting the game since it was announced, and two, went into it with an open mind instead of thinking "It can't live up to the originals"

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    vram usage?
    folks i'd like to buy if it's uber, spill the beans already.

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'd have to agree with Damien. There are a bunch of little annoying things about the game but overall its really fun. I'm not great at stealthy type games so I've had to adjust my play style quite a bit but I'm having a lot of fun.

4. Pencilstubs

Pencilstubs Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Lightning
    Thanks a lot for the settings, Doktor! All the shaders load fine using Boulotaur2024's injector, yet I still can't seem to get that SMAA to work with this game. A shame, as I don't much care for the blur of FXAA and MSAA/SSAA are just a bit taxing on my rig. I can't comprehend why SMAA instead a standard option in most games!

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Im in 2 minds about this now, think ill take the safe option, and wait till it hits sale. :p

6. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Ordered the key at 11:33AM and got the e-mail with my codes at 2:02PM. It's legit. Installing now.

Nice find. Do those other sites give you the 2 DLC packs as well?

**Added** I left them a good review on that reseller ratings site. Those things tend to be a little one-sided sometimes as it's much more likely for people with bad experiences to post there while the satisfied customers are too busy enjoying their product. And then you have websites like Amazon where companies pay people to write positive reviews for their products and negative reviews for their competitors. And then there's the troll reviews...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Even small shops who are not amazon have fake ratings on these sites.

8. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Absolutely. Amazon was just an example. I don't want people to get ripped off, but I had a good experience with that website so I might as well give credit where credit is due. It's hard to take anything for face value on the internet, especially nowadays.

**Added**
    I'm sorry to the TC for so many OT posts. I didn't mean to muck up your thread with my meaningless chatter. I'll try and keep it on the subject at hand now. :)

9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    They where hiding the settings, as usual...
    For more advanced settings u might wanna check out the Registry ;)

Options:
    [​IMG]

sadly, not all of em, since the ini files do nothing..

i wonder what HighPrecisionRT is...

also worth to mention...
    works like a charm :)

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    High precision is probably the same as high precision in tomb raider.

No one actually knew what it did and it just killed framerate.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

in TR its this

High Precision :
    This setting actually adds a filter, with darker shades and different intensities of light. It helps the game look more realistic by determining where light is coming from and how dark shades should become as we progress through a scene.
    It has a minor impact on performance, and should just be left on for the best image quality.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/20/tomb_raider_video_card_performance_iq_review#.Uw6M1oXoaZ0

In U3E depends, could be this
    bUseMaxQualityMode=False

but this was buggy most of the time.

Well there are typical U3E lines

This is from baseengine.ini
    2nd editable @ Thief\ThiefGame\Config\ThiefEngine.ini

12. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    maybe RT stands for RayTracing? j/k

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yeah I saw that hardocp article when it came out, it still munched 8 fps for no really reason or noticeable visual difference, I wouldn't advise turning it on. Interesting their definition of minor though.

14. japamd

japamd Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970Ghz
    Did you guys manage to run Thief in 32-bit mode? Starting the executable in Win32 folder doesn't help, Steam always start the 64-bit executable.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Why do you want to run 32bit mode?

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Perhaps to test if it runs better?

EDIT: Anyway to start the exe file directly without triggering Steam launching the game for you (But still requiring Steam for the game to work.) you can create a steam_appid.txt file in the folder where the game exe is located.

This file contains the application id number for the game which is the one on the store page so - http://store.steampowered.com/app/239160/ - 239160 :)
    ( C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Thief\Binaries\Win32 for 32-bit.)

Works for every game on Steam.

17. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Game is running like poop for me, with textures above the normal setting.

Have to play at low textures and high shadows for smooth play. Strangely I can just enable all the other options and stay at 120fps and above. Damn. Sucks to have 1Gb. Thief might just push me to get me that 8gb 290X :D

I can play at normal~high textures but there is uber stuttering.

The textures up close look really horrible, however when viewed from a distance, the game does look good. Third person texture quality in a first person game.

Apart from this small tech issue I'm totally loving the game.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Im confused, your specs say you've got a 760 4gb card, yet you've said in your post '1gb'?

19. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    I'm really annoyed with that HUD effect , when you are in the dark it is like black smoke around the edges of the screen and when you pop out in light area it turns white and flashes for a moment. I would be very thankful if someone finds out how to turn that OFF :)

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    from steam user post on their forums:

Thief (from what I've read) has the same issues with textures. The normal setting using close to 1.5GB's of VRAM with High and Very High using up to 2 and close to 3GB's respectively for little to no visual gain.