The Witcher 3 driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by oGow89, May 11, 2015.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    dunno, im not a driver programmer.

just because the threads are busy, doesnt mean they are doing any actual work.

kind of like government employees...

lol

only thing i can say is it doesnt matter how much work you throw at the submission thread, it can only go as fast as it can go. Reducing the time (latency) it takes the batches to get accross the driver layer is the ony real option to increasing batch flow. Which im sure is what nvidia has done.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To be fair about TressFX, It runs adequately well to compute power of GPU as it is DirectCompute.
    Problem would be if AMD prevented TressFX to use GPU acceleration on nVidia which is not case here.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Exactly. But the issue was about Nvidia receiving final code in the last moment, just days before game release. Yet no drama, just an apology from Nvidia.

But if you replace DirectCompute with Tesselation, Tomb Rider with Crysis 2, and switch AMD for Nvidia - you'll see THE INTERNETS BLOW UP. With terrorist activity, literally!!
    From death threats to petitions for boycotting Crtytek/NV products. Remember that? All forgotten now that GCN has fixed VLIW slow-a** tesselation.

I know, I know... the key word is excessive, usage, right?
    Excessive is a relative term. What's excessive for you and me will be barely adequate for someone else.
    Global Illumination in Hitman and in Dirt Showdown is excessive for what it offers, yet again no drama when AMD does it.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What you getting at? The difference in amount between AMD focused games compared to NVIDIA are vastly different. TressFX functions perfectly well with NVIDIA GPU's, can you say that about GameWorks features? I disable them for a reason.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What gameworks features would that be? HBAO+, Nvidia DoF and CPU PhysX working fine here

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The thing that worries me though is that it may turn into an exclusives type thing eventually like consoles. You could imagine NVIDIA paying enough to win an exclusive, say Project CARS 2, which only works on NVIDIA GPU's.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I very much doubt that, since PhysX is the most used general physics engine out there. 594 titles according to physxinfo.com

I doubt Nvidia is paying anything. They are offering readily deployed applications/libraries. And proly the manpower to implement it. The rest is up to devs/publisher.
    I'm not saying I like it, or exclusivity that sometimes goes with it; its just how it is

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What are all those games? :D

10. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Crysis 2 had a layer of water under every level that it applied tesselation, let's not forget that. At least with Global Illumination and the AMD titles, it was something that contributed to the game's atmosphere.

NVIDIA deals with a lot of the marketing expenses usually, which is an indirect form of payment.

All the Unreal Engine 3 games for starters.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Another myth. Culling prevents it from happening in actual gameplay:

http://crysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=602736

12. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Its not a myth, it actually happnened, then it was fixed!
    BTW actually Cryengine games flavours a lot AMD for their computing power.

So not sure why are people here reporting crysis games for working worse on AMD XD

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's a new one :)
    Linkie to Changelog?

14. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I'm trying to find the vídeo that actually shows off the wireframe under the floor.
    If culling prevents it, why you can see the wireframe of water underneath the floor?

Guru3D really says that the game features HW Culling, so i expect that was fixed, not?

15. oGow89

oGow89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    The article was made i believe from digital foundry!

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes. Wireframe under the floor, with ground disabled - don't bother.

If that had been the case GCN, Kepler and Fermi would gotten a big boost after the phantom patch that has no accompanying Changelog,
    and VLIW cards would flew off the charts. But this never happened.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
  18. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    There you go..
    "That's right. The tessellated water mesh remains in the scene, apparently ebbing and flowing beneath the land throughout, even though it's not visible"

http://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing/3

Thank you Minister.

Soo culling was indeed not working, otherwise that water wouldn't been on the scene underneath the land causing a major performance issue.

Altough the patch i don't know where it is.
    Besides Guru3D talking about that the culling is working, this techreport with this sentence claims logically that is not, at least in that time.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You can't find the phantom patch because tessellation was introduced with 1.9 and nothing has changed since.
    Where do you get this about the supposed patch? There has never been any culling-fix patch.

Tesselation Disabled:

[​IMG]

Tesselation Enabled - only 3% fps loss.

[​IMG]

Conclusion: Where is the perf. hit for all this invisible teselated water? Draw your own conclusion.

And yet another proof that ocean is culled:
    http://crysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=602736

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super