The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - The Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Biały Wilk, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    I am currently replaying this game (Enhanced Edition and in glorious 3D) and can confirm it's a masterpiece!!

2. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    With DOF on the cutscenes were in the mid 20s for me.

I usually play with those settings off anyway but I forgot when I started a new game.

They also look horrible. Worse than I remember, very blurry.

I don't like DOF in any game because it is not realistic. Naturally the centre of the image will be more in focus than the outside, but forcing objects to be blurred unnaturally exacerbates that.

That said it is worse in TW2 than any other game I've played.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Lets not get carried away, there was DOF option in Dragon Age 2 which only ran in DX11 mode... now am I to believe DOF in Dragon Age 2 is lot better than in Witcher 2. (LOL)

Judging DOF while playing the game in 2D display is just half the story, while playing in 3D mode I am sure the dynamic DOF in Witcher 2 actually contributes a lot to picture depth in game. Bloody at some scenes the game actually looks damn 3D with depth on my 2D screen, with the DOF.

Edit: Now all I want is vibration/force feedback on my controller when I am playing the game on the PC, the game has non currently.

I use a PS3 controller, with motionjoy driver package to emulate xbox360 controller.

And I am currently playing the game by disabling in-game AA_sharpen, then using some_body's version 9 DLL wrapper to force FXAA and Sharpening. <- this somehow appears to decrease the odd dithering a bit than in-game sharpening.

4. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    I noticed something, the game runs smoother with disabled ingame vsync, it was the same before EE patch.

With vsync-on it dropped to ~45fps, now with off it stays above 60fps.. I didnt try D3Doverrider yet, but imo build-in vsync is a bit buggy.

I dont know how its a bit further, im still at the beginning in that fortress.

5. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

Literally copied and pasted your settings and no improvement..... I waited for over a year to play this game since launch, I wont' be playing it with this pop in.

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Its plain ridiculousness to stop playing a game, because of some pop-ups. The game ain't strategy or FPS game where one aims down the barrel of a gun sight or look at enemy units at long range to gun them down or kill, as an effect one looks around the surroundings or through them.

But the combat in Witcher 2 is upclose and personal, I'd rate anyone just not playing a game bcs of some silly pop-up as overrated and totally unnecessary for this genre.

7. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

It totally breaks the immersion when a guy literally pops in less than 5 feet away from me. I would rather not play it than play it and constantly being annoyed by the terrible draw distance.

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Guys pop in 5 feet away from you?, i've never seen that happen ever. Infact once i set the 2 main lods i've hardly ever seen anything pop in.

The only time i've ever seen severe pop in was when i was messing with the texture budget (as when set really low you get unreal engine 3 texture pop in), i have no idea what this "so bad i won't play it" pop in is.

9. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

Apparently it's totally random and there is no pattern on why someone experiences it per other forums.

10. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    this game does streaming, maybe your HDD is like the ****tiest/broken piece in this forum?

11. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Hi, you can try one more thing

TextureMemoryBudget=1800
    MeshDistanceScale=4.0 or 4.5

I used 1000 just to be safe, one guru3d member said it crashed with anything higher..

Idk it was ok here at 1800, at least in first level and all cinematic sequences, gpu vram usage was around 800-900mb.

12. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

I have a SSD drive that absolutely screams, so try again.

13. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

I tired what you wanted and it didn't improve anything. Thanks for the help.

14. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

15. hlhbk

hlhbk Active Member

So I got some stuff to show you and everyone here. Not sure if I should quote these to make them smaller, but then it might be hard to see....

[​IMG]

A few steps back and notice how the shadows have disappeared:

[​IMG]

Next one:

[​IMG]

Notice how not only have shadows appeared not far away at all but a bush suddenly appears! If I take one step back the bush and shadow completely disappear!

[​IMG]

I am sorry but that is just aweful. I don't care how pretty it looks its not that great of a feat if it can't render stuff 5 feet in front of you! I am convinced this is some kind of bug, because I just watched the Xbox 360 review on gametrailers and it had less pop ups with them running in a forest!

I am sorry but it's so distracting I can't play it. I waited for a year to play it and I will wait longer. CD Projekt needs to get off their butt and fix this crap!

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Xbox360 has very low draw distances than the PC version.

IGN Witcher 2 xbox360 review.. -> "8.0 Graphics
    Tearing and texture pop-in are occasional problems, but this is still an excellent-looking game."

Also PC version doesn't have this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKyWyIAo6iU

Note:..I think you should return the copy of Witcher 2 to CDPR stating that its ruining immersion.

17. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    hmmm... so other than "possible" lighting changes... theres no graphical changes whatsoever..and...They didnt add Directx 11 support?

If they would have added DX 11 support i would have ran and purchased it right away...
    I would not have cared if adding DX 11 didnt change the graphics.
    i think games run better in optimized DX 11 mode than DX 9 mode.

Edit: I actually dont know if it was added... I'm just assuming cause non of you raved about it having DX 11.

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    The API is irrelevant. The Witcher 2 looks significantly better than Dragon Age 2 ( DX11 ) even with it's lowly DX9.

It's one of the best looking games I've ever seen and it easily equals older DX10 titles like Crysis or Just Cause 2.

19. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    DX11 talk again?, For who do not know what DX11 is all about, there is Microsoft MSDN library to learn about it.

Edit: Let me help you with that link -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476080(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

From the comments :

---> This is not professional
    Removing the DX SDK and then advicing professionals to read TBD (i.e empty) pages is *highly* unprofessional.
    And, why is OpenGL placed in "legacy-deprecated-do-not-use" status? Microsoft have absolutely no say what-so-ever
    about the status of OpenGL. I am mad as *** over this. Who is in charge? Who is responsible for this complete mess?

MichaelT69
    1/5/2012

WHO IS IN CHARGE :D