The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    New Alienware just getting in stock in Europe, which makes another huge decision dilemma...
    Get LG 38GN950-B next week for a little over 1000 Euro or wait and get DELL Alienware AW3821DW for only about 110 Euro more.
    Both have the same screen, but:

+ Its 36 months of warranty on Dell with next day on-site advanced exchange if something goes wrong instead of regular 24 months RMA from LG
    + Dell support is awesome where LG is lacking
    + Dell Gsync ultimate, having new updated V2 Gsync module giving 2nd HDMI 2.0 and 1-144 Gsync range (Freesync compatible)

- There are no real reviews to compare both monitors and there probably won't be one until later in Q1 2021

Anyone having access to both that can compare AW3821DW to LG 38GN950-B in terms of image quality, latency, and input lag??

I have to get a new monitor latest in January and if professional reviews are not available till then (which is likely), I have to either make it safe and get LG or risk it and get Dell without any reviews.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I'm searching for the same thing at the moment. At least 100Hz, 21:9 preferably, and "real" HDR with 1000 nits and 10-bit colors.

The closest I've gotten so far was a smaller OLED TV, for the color/contrast/HDR side, or a Samsung C49RG94, which supposedly has great luminosity, but really bad local dimming.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No curvature why? Its a must on these displays.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    the curve alternative was a VA, also wall mounting it in a new house soon, so felt a curve would look a bit off wall mounted. What makes it a must? out of curiosity

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    it adds immersiveness on ultra wides. the more agressive the better.

7. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    yeah i agree on the immersiveness, but practicality of positioning on a wall for myself, its fine, generally use my oculus if im going full immersive anyway. I also use it for doing a lot of written work and office based stuff, so the side by side flat view is quite useful.
    I preferred ips over VA and couldn't find an alternative cheap enough, plus on the wall a curved would look a bit odd.

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well I just purchased the AW3821DW and it is supposed to arrive no later than Jan 14th, but hopefully gets here before then. It uses the same panel as the LG but the AW has better local dimming for a better HDR600 experience. One thing to note is that it only goes to 120hz if you want to use 10 bit at 4:4:4, it drops to 8 bit and 4:2:2 when running at 144hz.

My 1080ti is already shaking in fear at that resolution....too bad its impossible to find any RTX3080's in stock.

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Ha ! Just re-discovered this topic I created... ;-)

3 years later, I still have same monitor.

Using the other older monitors, the entire desk is now ultra.. ultra wide:
    [​IMG]

Only playing on the middle ASUS ROG though, and unfortunately, 3 years later I still have the same GTX 1080 which is insufficient for modern games at 3440x1440.
    Can't wait for the new generation GPUs to actually be in stock at reasonable prices !

10. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti

I hear that! Been trying to get one for a couple of months now, I refuse to pay scalper prices. I might be waiting a few more months but by then it will really be needed. Still waiting for the new monitor which will have a 3840x1600 resolution and kick my 1080ti in the face.

I love your monitor setup btw, looks crazy!

wavetrex likes this.

11. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Recently just build a new PC. At 1st I also plan to get the Samsung Super Ultrawide Odyssey G9 but after consideration of not many games support on it, at the end I decide for Ultrawide + Wide combination with my always preferable brand - LG. Haha!

Left: LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 34" 34GN850 3440x1440 144hz NanoIPS HDR.
    Right: LG UltraGear Gaming Monitor 27" 27GL850 2560x1440 144hz NanoIPS HDR.

[​IMG]

My previous LG Ultrawide Gaming Monitor 34" 34UC79G 3440x1080 144hz IPS SDR still with me and it still connected to my existing laptop.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Undying and wavetrex like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  13. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Running Gigabyte G34WQC Very happy with it and would recommend it

Undying likes this.
  14. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    I not own the Xiaomi BHR4269GL monitor but I seen few times demo set at Mi Store. It is a very good Ultrawide monitor. You may consider this if HDR is not the wanted option. This monitor not support HDR, but from the price point, it is a solid SDR Ultrawide monitor.

Undying likes this.
  15. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Went through all the thread and have to say that gurus are in love with their UW monitors!
    Same as reviewers do.
    My hesitation is about the drop in resolution.
    You may say that trying a UW monitor is a no return to 16:9 point,
    but it is also true that once you go 4k...
    My 1080ti will off course be grateful but I have no idea what will be the quality cost.
    I also have to admit that I find some 43'' 4k gaming monitors very tempting no matter if the plan is to use a stand with caster wheels for my sim-racing rig+teleworking and Ultrawides shine in both tasks.

16. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    The 38" ultrawides run a resolution of 3840x1600, about 75% of 4k. Its a step up from 3440x1440 and looks great, you could always go that route and not feel like you are missing much in terms of resolution. I have a 1080ti and am a bit surprised at how well it holds up but games like Control are on the struggle bus for sure.

Apparatus likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I just recently tried the Gigabyte G34WQC, the Samsung G5 34" and now the new Asus TUF 34" against my older Samsung C34F791.

So far, the Samsung offers the most options and the Asus has the best picture. So far. I color-calibrated all of them, so I can't say how their out-of-the-box picture was.
    HDR works, but it's weird on all of them. Once you activate it, the desktop has shallow and greyish colors and lots of the options are suddenly greyed out (I can adjust all settings in all 3 modes on my OLED TV, so there's no reason why I can't adjust the colors or gamma once I turn on HDR!). The effect is nice here and there, but one thing doesn't make sense:
    Calibration show higher DCI-P3 percentages in SDR than in HDR, which doesn't make sense. All 3 have this issue.

Currently I'm still running the Asus, as the picture is simply really nice, with only 144Hz but 10bit colors. To me, that seems to be the best compromise and the display is really fast. I'm about to do a side-by-side comparison with my old screen to be sure this is a valid reason for a purchase :)

Undying likes this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What about the curve on G5? Does the 1000r really makes a difference?

20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, it makes a difference. The screen feels much smaller than the other two
    It could be nice but the screen would need to be really close, something I couldn’t test because it wasn’t compatible with my wall mount.
    Using the regular stand, 1000R didn’t work out for me.
    The 1000R made the 49“ look more practical than I thought it was though.

Undying likes this.